Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback 2.5L Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm starting to do some research for offroad parts for my subaru. I have an 01 Outback 2.5L Limited, here's a list of what I'm looking to get.
-around a 4" lift
-front and rear bumpers
-skid plates
-snorkel

Also if I would need anything to go with the lift like longer brake lines and such.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Serious off-roading requires a high/low range transfer case and a locker. I reckon neither is availble for the OB.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
i dont imagine you're gonna be doing stuff like this if you're just stating out

go to offroadsubarus.com or somewhere else. there isn't much advice on this site for people who actually use their car.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
go to offroadsubarus.com or somewhere else. there isn't much advice on this site for people who actually use their car.
You mis-spelled a word - it should read "for people who actually abuse their car".

Though I guess if it is more than ten years old and you have the funds to keep another daily driver, it is OK to take a sawzall to your bodywork, but IMHO it's just money wasted. You would be MUCH better off buying and modding a proper vehicle like a Wrangler or Land Cruiser. You get a proper frame and running gear and huge aftermarket support, and cheap parts. Well, at least the Jeep parts are cheap...

When you are done modding your Subaru with home made parts, and unobtanium stuff from Down Under, and then done thrashing it, it will be pretty much worthless for resale.

How about turning your aging OB into a rally car? It is excellent for that. Rockcrawling? Nah....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
i dont imagine you're gonna be doing stuff like this if you're just stating out Subaru in Mickey's Hot Tub Moab - YouTube

Bin there done that with my Jeep several times.

I took my 2003 Outback out to Moab, to see how far it could go. I had a 11/2 lift and aggressive AT tires. It did better than I expected, at least as well as Dodge Durangos, Ford Explorers and the like. The problem of the Outback are its long overhangs (approach and departure angles are really bad) and it's rather long wheel base.

It is a good vehicle for bad dirt/gravel roads and for many logging roads. If these conditions are what you call offroading, the Outback will do great. If it is more the Moab stile of offroading, the Outback will fail.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
Well... welcome to subaruoutback.org! Take a look around, you'll find a few threads about off-roading, and a few people that do. While an Outback is no rockcrawler, you can certainly lift it, equip it, and enjoy it off-road.

For a lift kit, look into King Springs and lift blocks. 4" is quite a bit for a Suby, I'll bet you'll need to do something with the steering and endlinks, as well.

Front and rear bumpers... Custom work. Probably going to DIY it, or pay someone else to one-off it. What exactly did you have in mind, or are you just looking for ideas?

For skid plates, there's probably a few options. I have Primitive Rally ones. They work for what I need. I rarely hit rocks.

Snorkels, like the bumpers, are probably a DIY item. Do a search for the "superu" as that had a snorkel on it. Creative work with PVC and a pop rivet gun might look a little ghetto, but be do-able for you.

Good luck, don't get discouraged by any other posts saying it's impossible, but read them and realize that they aren't necessarily bashing you, or telling you not to. You can rockcrawl in your car, for example. But... it's not really made to do that kind of activity, isn't a great platform to start with, and no matter what you start with, it'll break. Often.

The question I would ask is what do you consider off-roading? What do you want to do with it? Personally, my idea of a good time is going down little used goat paths and Jeep trails. I deal with sand (welcome to FL), mud, water, and dirt. There aren't any rocks worth bashing over, and I wouldn't do if there were... I tend to stay out of deep mud and am very careful in water. So I'm primarily bouncing along rutted trails. Outbacks do that just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts