Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I found out ( by accident) that there is a link between the seatbelt and cruise control systems. ( At lease if you have the 20 click seatbelt over ride programed in) Specifically, I took my seatbelt off for a few seconds at the drive through and forgot to put it back on immediately as I left ( juggling fries and such :)). As I pulled out of the lot, I went to activate cruise and it would not set. ( Adaptive or non-adaptive) I tried several times. Then, as soon as my seatbelt was mated, cruise worked again. Just to be sure, I disconnected again later on. As soon as the belt was unlatched, cruise dropped out and would not comeback on until it sensed the belt was latched. Man, these cars are complex. Still learning stuff 10 months in.

Just figured I'd share this quirk.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,455 Posts
So yesterday I found out ( by accident) that there is a link between the seatbelt and cruise control systems. ( At lease if you have the 20 click seatbelt over ride programed in) Specifically, I took my seatbelt off for a few seconds at the drive through and forgot to put it back on immediately as I left ( juggling fries and such :)). As I pulled out of the lot, I went to activate cruise and it would not set. ( Adaptive or non-adaptive) I tried several times. Then, as soon as my seatbelt was mated, cruise worked again. Just to be sure, I disconnected again later on. As soon as the belt was unlatched, cruise dropped out and would not comeback on until it sensed the belt was latched. Man, these cars are complex. Still learning stuff 10 months in.

I remember this from a while ago (it even has your comment on it :p):

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,090 Posts
Seems that Subaru likely had brainstorm meeting where these details were discussed. Would love to participate. Kudos to Subaru to continue to impress us with the details they cover.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnetite Grey Metallic
309 Posts

I did something similar,with the AVH engaged went through a drive thru and while stopped I disconnected my seat belt and the AVH disengaged, oops! I will be placing it in park from now on.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remember this from a while ago (it even has your comment on it :p):

Wow, all I remember from that thread was that I finally got the 20 click trick to work ( after nearly giving up.) Now I feel old!! 🤔

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
976 Posts
Back in the good 'ol days, before safety interlocks of any kind, I would every once in a while have a complete brain fade and engage the starter motor with my car in gear, and the clutch not pushed in. (My normal practice would have been to start the car with the gear shift lever in neutral, whether the clutch pedal was depressed or not.)

The sudden lurch forward, from the starter motor propelling the car, would jar me back to alertness, before I went more than a foot or so..... So, no real harm done, other than embarrassment if anyone happened to notice....

Actually, I still have a car with a manual, but it's probably been years since I last "lurched it" while starting.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,176 Posts
I did something similar,with the AVH engaged went through a drive thru and while stopped I disconnected my seat belt and the AVH disengaged, oops! I will be placing it in park from now on.
I thought that in that circumstance the parking brake would automatically engage. Did that not happen?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I thought that in that circumstance the parking brake would automatically engage. Did that not happen?
No, the car started moving forward I had to step on the brake pedal to stop the forward movement then I shifted it into park, I think moving at a low speed and if a car was in front of me eyesight probably would have not engaged, anyway more things to think of when using our new tech stuff.

·
Registered
309 Posts
No, the car started moving forward I had to step on the brake pedal to stop the forward movement then I shifted it into park, I think moving at a low speed and if a car was in front of me eyesight probably would have not engaged, anyway more things to think of when using our new tech stuff.
OK now I know what I did, I had my foot on the brake and AVH engaged, so when I disconnected the seat belt I still had my foot on the brake, then when I lifted my foot off the brake it rolled forward. So yeah it engages the park brake when you disconnect the seat belt, sorry for the confusion. :)

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
2,176 Posts
OK now I know what I did, I had my foot on the brake and AVH engaged, so when I disconnected the seat belt I still had my foot on the brake, then when I lifted my foot off the brake it rolled forward. So yeah it engages the park brake when you disconnect the seat belt, sorry for the confusion. :)
That makes more sense and matches my experience. Subaru has done a pretty good job of trying to anticipate everything and make the car react safely, but there are always those unique situations that can slip through.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2013 Outback Limited 3.6R
604 Posts
That makes more sense and matches my experience. Subaru has done a pretty good job of trying to anticipate everything and make the car react safely, but there are always those unique situations that can slip through.
Yeah, the way they should do this is to have a flow-diagram, for each, and a s/w tester assigned to each component(s) (which implies any/ALL cross-functional-components testing).

I'd sure like to see how they actually manage this stuff, because they don't seem to follow standard s/w (or h/w) engineering practices, with regards to some of these (my darn AVH STILL engages, despite being disabled, for months now, when I'm backing out of my driveway, and have to do an uphill-back/forth maneuver, so frustrating...).
Ultimately, no system is perfect (or tested-perfect), but the Subaru s/w is full of random-little-bugs, comparatively, IME.
I received my start-stop eliminator, a couple of days ago, and ultimately I'll admit, as a s/w (and some h/w) engineering professional, I'm a bit frightened/concerned, about the post-install results... :oops::)

·
Registered
2021 outback onyx edition black with grey interior
8 Posts
I found that if you have large items on the rear seats of a 2021 Onyx XT, the seat belt chimes will activate ,, and if you think, "they'll stop soon". You would be wrong. Not only do they not stop, but eventually the Audio stops playing also. Not until we pulled over and clipped the seat belts on the back seats, did the audio return. And by "large items" I mean myself and a buddy being hauled home by my our wives / designated drivers🍺:D🍺. Two men over 6 feet tall and each pushing 275lbs. do fit in the back seats !!

Which brings up another issue. The seat belt retract mode is affected by the way you put the seat belt on. pulling it well out of the ratchet and then plugging it onto the receiver in not a smooth easy transition will cause it to not free wheel. And as it tightens around your neck / throat you will get the sensation of being hanged.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
32 Posts
I found that if you have large items on the rear seats of a 2021 Onyx XT, the seat belt chimes will activate ,, and if you think, "they'll stop soon". You would be wrong. Not only do they not stop, but eventually the Audio stops playing also. Not until we pulled over and clipped the seat belts on the back seats, did the audio return. And by "large items" I mean myself and a buddy being hauled home by my our wives / designated drivers🍺:D🍺. Two men over 6 feet tall and each pushing 275lbs. do fit in the back seats !!
Somebody on another thread recently mentioned these...Tikit - Seatbelt Alarm Silencer (thetikit.com) Not for over-riding human seatbelt use of course, but for if you've got big dogs riding in the back who are not amenable to seatbelt use. And, bonus, apparently doubles as a bottle opener.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts