Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion of how to carry/suspend 1-4 7 ft fishing rods INSIDE of a 2016 OB? In my last crossover I just hung them on some short bungees attached to the oh **** handles but the trunk in the OB is so long that that method won't work. I don't want to strap them to the roof, I'd like for them to be inside of the car. When I'm just running down to the ocean it's fine to just put the seats down but when I've got my mattress in the back I don't have enough floor space for the rods and my camping gear. Thank you for any suggestions!

And yes, there was a previous post on the same topic, but it was 10 years old and none of the answers were sufficiently helpful.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,327 Posts
There are a heap of different sorts and brands you can buy off the net and do it yourself videos on YouTube. I carry various size fly rods using the bungee method and the tip of the rods go to some elastic hanging off my rear vision mirror.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of hanging them off the mirror, that's a good idea! I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I'm sure I can improvise something for that. The rack the dude in the video (you??) uses is pricey as **** tho, maybe I can build something similar on the cheap

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,327 Posts
Pricey is not the word............Couple of bungee straps do the same and a whole lot cheaper. He gets his stuff for free most of the time as he has a large following.

Reactions: EgregiousBlunder

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx XT
21 Posts
I'm trying to figure out something as well. I have used Rod Sleeves since the first came out and plan to figure out a way to attach them to something that goes across the back and under the front mirror like in that video. The best thing about the Rod Sleeves is, it keeps your rods and tips from vibrating together while driving down the rod. Here is a link for sleeves that are used on conventional rods. You can get them in different lengths depending on your rod of course. For my switch & spey rods I usually split them in half and put both in 1 sleeve. They are too long to keep together and fit in the car.

If you put a velcro strap around the back of your mirror, you can pull your rod tips snug to the bottom of it so they don't swing around like they would using that lanyard in the video. Also, with the rod sleeves you don't need to spread the rods out across the back, you can put them up against each other. I have neoprene reel cases that I put on my reels so they don't bang against each other.

I was also looking at INNO Rod Carrier or Racks - some are very expensive - but you can put rods down the sides of your vehicle - 3 on each side with this one which attaches to the handles above the passenger seats. I think it replaces the handles....

The only problem I am having with this Outback is there isn't anything on each side in the back to attach anything to. So I plan to get these suction cups (most are under $20 for 2) or something similar and run a strap from each from window to window (similar to the Smith Creek overpriced setup):

You can find cheap setups like this one but the suction cups are lousy, so best to find great suction cups and a separate strap.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
Pricey is not the word............Couple of bungee straps do the same and a whole lot cheaper. He gets his stuff for free most of the time as he has a large following.
Exactly. A lot of these folks you see on YouTube doing reviews are sponsored in one way or another. I do the same thing though, just use bungee cords and run a pair from point to point across the back and twist them in to an XXXX shape and place the rod handles between the cords.

This isn't my photo but the idea and use of the cords is the same.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,608 Posts

·
Registered
(Australian spec) 2019 MY19 Outback 3.6R CVT.
572 Posts
I have one solution that works for me. Buy 2 or 3 piece rods for the Outback.

I spent most of my life building rods as a hobby but they are all 1-piece (except for my game rods with detachable Aftco butts) & too expensive & precious to be put in the back of a wagon. They only go from one of our spare bedrooms straight into the boat.

When we go on holidays I have some good but reasonably cheap 2 & 3 piece rods (threadline & baitcaster) to carry in the back of the Outback. The ones I have are Daiwa TD Black 3-piece & Shimano Jewel 2-piece. They have their own rod bags with a separate partition for each section (some made by my better half) & the rod bag with rod sections then gets wrapped in an old towel & placed on top of any other gear in the back.

When travelling by plane the 3-piece Daiwa TD Blacks have each end of each section pushed into small round shaped pieces of high density foam then each section is slid into one or two pieces of modified PVC tube so the blank & guides are separate from each other & the side of the PVC tube. Cable ties through holes in the PVC tube stop the sections sliding to the end. They then get put into our suit case.

I find the 3-piece Daiwa TD Blacks have a slower action than I prefer, the 2-piece Shimano Jewels having a faster action. The foregrip could be longer on the Daiwas, the reel winch takes some getting used to and unfortunately neither have cork butts or foregrips. But these are a compromise & do quite a good job. The ones I purchased have full length butts which I much prefer. Rebuild the butt section & they would be pretty good.

No doubt there are many other suitable 2 & 3-piece rods that are available.

Daiwa TB Black
Shimano Jewel

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
I have one solution that works for me. Buy 2 or 3 piece rods for the Outback.

I spent most of my life building rods as a hobby but they are all 1-piece (except for my game rods with detachable Aftco butts) & too expensive & precious to be put in the back of a wagon. They only go from one of our spare bedrooms straight into the boat.

When we go on holidays I have some good but reasonably cheap 2 & 3 piece rods (threadline & baitcaster) to carry in the back of the Outback. The ones I have are Daiwa TD Black 3-piece & Shimano Jewel 2-piece. They have their own rod bags with a separate partition for each section (some made by my better half) & the rod bag with rod sections then gets wrapped in an old towel & placed on top of any other gear in the back.

When travelling by plane the 3-piece Daiwa TD Blacks have each end of each section pushed into small round shaped pieces of high density foam then each section is slid into one or two pieces of modified PVC tube so the blank & guides are separate from each other & the side of the PVC tube. Cable ties through holes in the PVC tube stop the sections sliding to the end. They then get put into our suit case.

I find the 3-piece Daiwa TD Blacks have a slower action than I prefer, the 2-piece Daiwa Jewels having a faster action. The foregrip could be longer on the Daiwas, the reel winch takes some getting used to and unfortunately neither have cork butts or foregrips. But these are a compromise & do quite a good job. The ones I purchased have full length butts which I much prefer. Rebuild the butt section & they would be pretty good.

No doubt there are many other suitable 2 & 3-piece rods that are available.

Daiwa TB Black
Shimano Jewel
This is easier with my longer fly rods, primarily my nymphing rods. However some of my creekin rods are one custom one piece rods in the 5-7 foot range. One thing you will see here in CO that is common with the fly fisherman, we will stick the rods under the hood of the car and rest it on the windshield as we cruise down to our next spot😄. When out of towners see us drive by with 3-4 fly rods on the windshield the looks are funny.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OP said he was going ocean fishing. I carry 2 piece surf rods in the car (5'-5.5' sections), but the 7 foot one piece heavy boat rods or the 7 foot sea trout rods get laid between the front seat back and the door. If there is a passenger, I put the tips in a mini-bungee cord or a small slip knot tied to the grab handle and the passenger had to be careful getting in and out. Due to the size of the reels, especially big spinning reels, I remove the reels.

·
Registered
572 Posts
However some of my creekin rods are one custom one piece rods in the 5-7 foot range. One thing you will see here in CO that is common with the fly fisherman, we will stick the rods under the hood of the car and rest it on the windshield as we cruise down to our next spot😄.
Yes, one piece 7’ graphite spin rods can be a problem to carry in a vehicle. Especially nice custom built ones.

For beach fishing, over here in Oz we see a lot of 4WDs with setups like this, or similar, on beaches that allow 4WD access. Some states have banned certain types of rod carriers on bull bars though for pedestrian safety.

bullbar-fishing-rod-holder.png

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
Yes, one piece 7’ graphite spin rods can be a problem to carry in a vehicle. Especially nice custom built ones.

For beach fishing, over here in Oz we see a lot of 4WDs with setups like this, or similar, on beaches that allow 4WD access. Some states have banned certain types of rod carriers on bull bars though for pedestrian safety.

View attachment 517782
That's a sweet setup! I've always wanted to do some fishing down in Oz since I was a little fella. And good grief, banning rod holders for pedestrian safety? Was it a high capacity one? lol.

·
Registered
572 Posts
And good grief, banning rod holders for pedestrian safety?
My understanding is the rod holders that are illegal in some states over here are the ones that are at or near the bull bar height with sharp corners or edges that protrude forward of the bull bar.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Outback
404 Posts
My understanding is the rod holders that are illegal in some states over here are the ones that are at or near the bull bar height with sharp corners or edges that protrude forward of the bull bar.
Sigh..... One would think that the pointy parts would not matter if someone was being mowed over by a vehicle with a bull bar lol.... Australia has been a bucket list item for me since I was a child. I want to fly fish for Murray Cod like something fierce and then tackle the rest of the fresh water species and possibly charter an offshore day trip for some real monsters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts