Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is going to sound stupid, but I was in the throws of installing some high output LED interior lights and accentually touched the power feed wires in the map light assembly. This popped the fuse.

Do you think I can find which fuse it is??? iv checked just about every fuse in the fuse box in the drivers foot well out and nothing! Its a 2005 OB Japanese import, oh and now the central locking isn't working ether :1zhelp:

HELP!!

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
The RHD version might be different, but based on the diagrams I have, which are for the North American LHD Outback, the fuse for the map lights is #8 in the engine compartment fuse box.

It's a 20 Amp fuse that supplies "always on" power to the map lights, the Body Integrated Unit, the keyless entry ("central locking"), the ceiling lights, the radio memory (presets), and the clock. So if the fuse is blown, there should be other lights and functions not working.

The Owners Manual should have a diagram showing the fuse location in the fuse box, by number and description.

Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for trying to help Plain OM, but turns out its not fuse #8 in the drivers foot well.

Its the fuse labelled "back up" in the fuse box under the bonnet. Why not label it "Barry" as that makes as much sense "back up"? Be better if they had labelled it as been for interior lights and central locking?

I ended up getting a pair of forceps so I could actually check the fuse's in less than 20min per fuse, due to the opening to access the fues been so small. Checked every fuse with a multimeter to be sure non were blown but didn't look it. All were ok, so I moved onto the fuse box under the bonnet and found it fairly quickly. :D

While I had the map light, and sunglass holder down I noticed a spare power cable socket taped back there. Has anyone any idea what this is for? Its a three cable socket, so im assuming one is ground and the other two are switched, but by what?

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
. . . , the fuse for the map lights is #8 in the engine compartment fuse box. . . ..
Thanks for trying to help Plain OM, but turns out its not fuse #8 in the drivers foot well.

Its the fuse labelled "back up" in the fuse box under the bonnet. . .
Different terminology; I should have known. In any event, glad you were able to identify the right fuse.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah my mistake, I actually didn't notice that you had put "engine compartment", I just went straight to the foot well and checeked fuse #8, as that's where I figured the fuse would be. Thanks for that

·
Registered
2005 outback champagne gold 2.5 auto
1 Posts
thanks for this post, i've spent a few hours going through the same routine then found this and sure enough Barry was there and broken. ta very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interior Lights not working

We also have a Subaru 2005 Outback and non of the front interior lights come on when opening the doors, we are also having trouble with the key fob as I have to press it REALLY hard to get it to work, plus the clock when changing to Daylight Saving never stays correct when the engine is turned off and on again. Are these all related. Can someone help me on how to solve it?

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
We also have a Subaru 2005 Outback and non of the front interior lights come on when opening the doors, we are also having trouble with the key fob as I have to press it REALLY hard to get it to work, plus the clock when changing to Daylight Saving never stays correct when the engine is turned off and on again. Are these all related. Can someone help me on how to solve it?
Post #2 above?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited
1 Posts
This post was a very helpful post. I also managed to touch the under driver door flood light to metal when installing an LED and blew a fuse. Without your information I would never have solved the problem with what Subaru provided in the owners manual. Nothing was labeled interior lights or anything close in either the engine compartment or drive side fuse box. When you blow fuse #26 you loose the interior lights, keyless lock and touch door lock. I picked up my car the day before brand new and could only imagine how stupid I would have sounded requesting a service to identify a blown fuse.

·
Registered
MY2016 Premium CVT 2.5i Outback
4 Posts
Agreed,

who would of guessed the #26 "back up" fuse controlled the interior lights. In the case of an Australian 2016 Outback is in the 10 amp one in the foot well.

·
Registered
2006 Outback
10 Posts
The RHD version might be different, but based on the diagrams I have, which are for the North American LHD Outback, the fuse for the map lights is #8 in the engine compartment fuse box.

It's a 20 Amp fuse that supplies "always on" power to the map lights, the Body Integrated Unit, the keyless entry ("central locking"), the ceiling lights, the radio memory (presets), and the clock. So if the fuse is blown, there should be other lights and functions not working.

The Owners Manual should have a diagram showing the fuse location in the fuse box, by number and description.

Let us know if this helps.
Have a 2005 OB Limited and had the same problem with no interior lights, radio, and the keyless entry would not work. Looked at every fuse that could have anything to do with lighting with no luck. Then, thanks to this forum, I locate the "back up" label and sure enough, it's blown. Sometimes I think these engineers that design these cars don't have a brain.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
I'm buying the beers! I too blew the fuse as I was changing out the under driver door light in my 3 day old 2017 Outback with an extra LED lamp I had from changing these same lamps on a 2010 Outback, figuring it would compliment the approach light in the side view mirror. I was sick after trying a couple of different fuses, both under the hood and under the dash, that I thought it might have been but with no luck! Then I found this post telling of fuse #26. That was the one! With the fuse replaced, the interior lights, key fob, and home link are back working so I and my pride are doing much better! Thanks for the post and "back up" help!!!

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, Magnetite Gray
34 Posts
Well done gang. More beers for everyone. Same blown fuse just happened to me, I would have never guessed #26 to be the culprit. Thanks for the info all!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to you guys your data solved my 2017 Subaru Outback Touring interior lights fuse location problem too. The culprit fuse #26 titled "Back up" was blown. Located in the interior fuse box. I checked dozens of fuses with a meter and still had trouble finding it until I read your forum.
Thanks greatly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Subaru Outback - Fuse

I just want to Thank EVERYONE for your notes on this thread.

Long story short, so my husband had this same issue before (remote locks not working, display console not working and interior lights). So he took it to Subaru, only to be charged $80 just to change a fuse. However, fool me once right... so the second time this happened, I said i'd fix it.

He wasn't so sure, but lucky for him, I was sure .

So for starters the manual sucks! There is absolutely no information relevant to help you figure out or even decipher which fuse is the correct fuse.

Thanks to this thread I took a chance and took a look at a few of the Fuse Panels in the interior compartment, that you all had mentioned, but all the fuses were in tact. There was one response here that mentioned the fuse was a 10A on Panel #26 (Main Fan), but in our vehicle that was not a 10A and although I checked it, the fuse was intact, so I moved on to the next fuse that was 10A. I took a chance and looked at Panel #14 (Integrated Unit) which had a 10A fuse and voila! That was the busted fuse, I switched it out and everything was back to its normal functioning self!

So again thank you for your feedback on this forum, I am grateful to learn from you all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Subaru Outback - Fuse

I just want to Thank EVERYONE for your notes on this thread.

Long story short, so my husband had this same issue before (remote locks not working, display console not working and interior lights). So he took it to Subaru, only to be charged $80 just to change a fuse. However, fool me once right... so the second time this happened, I said i'd fix it.

He wasn't so sure, but lucky for him, I was sure .

So for starters the manual sucks! There is absolutely no information relevant to help you figure out or even decipher which fuse is the correct fuse.

Thanks to this thread I took a chance and took a look at a few of the Fuse Panels in the interior compartment, that you all had mentioned, but all the fuses were in tact. There was one response here that mentioned the fuse was a 10A on Panel #26 (Main Fan), but in our vehicle that was not a 10A and although I checked it, the fuse was intact, so I moved on to the next fuse that was 10A. I took a chance and looked at Panel #14 (Integrated Unit) which had a 10A fuse and voila! That was the busted fuse, I switched it out and everything was back to its normal functioning self!

So again thank you for your feedback on this forum, I am grateful to learn from you all!
I encountered the same problem, my son broke the sun visor and ripped one of the cables, I think that’s what triggered the fuse to break in my case. Anyways this worked for me too and Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm pretty sure I blew this fuse in my 2019 when trying to replace the cargo area light with an LED. What did I do wrong? I used a bulb recommended in other threads, so a number of people have successfully changed this to an LED bulb. Thanks for any insight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts