Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ ES
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "brushed" aluminum look plastic trim piece on the left off the steering wheel.. does that pop off, or is it a large part of the dashboard? I'd like to take it out and paint it matte black as the reflection in the side window bothers me. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Maybe beg a scrap of 3M matte black bra material from your local installer. You can always take it off for resale and don't have to remove piece for install.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5L Crimson
28 Posts
Film is your friend.

Just go to the local Michael's, Joe Anns, or equivalent. Get some thin matte vinyl, it comes in sheets and rolls (many colors and textures). Rough cut it, clean car surface, put on, smooth out, final cut with a very sharp knife.

There is even film available in fake carbon fiber as well as other patterns. There are vendors on the web that have many more patterns and colors, if you want more then what the local art supply store sells

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
358 Posts
The "brushed" aluminum look plastic trim piece on the left off the steering wheel.. does that pop off, or is it a large part of the dashboard? I'd like to take it out and paint it matte black as the reflection in the side window bothers me. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
I'm looking to do the same thing on both of the dash pieces and the chrome trim around the shifter slot.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
648 Posts
The "brushed" aluminum look plastic trim piece on the left off the steering wheel.. does that pop off, or is it a large part of the dashboard? I'd like to take it out and paint it matte black as the reflection in the side window bothers me. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
It does pop off/up. I removed mine to install a switch. Just use a trim removal tool to avoid damage.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ ES
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your information. So much appreciated! I think auto manufacturers think the chrome and brushed aluminum looks great in cars and trucks. I don't think any of them spend significant amounts of time in them seeing how those bright finishes blind a lot of the drivers. I appreciate everyones input.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Thank you all for your information. So much appreciated! I think auto manufacturers think the chrome and brushed aluminum looks great in cars and trucks. I don't think any of them spend significant amounts of time in them seeing how those bright finishes blind a lot of the drivers. I appreciate everyones input.
During certain sunny days, the shiny portions of the interior either temporarily blind me, or cause distracting images in the door windows, right where you are looking through to see the door mirrors. I'm checking for cars in the blind spots and all I see are UFO's flying around......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts