Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess through normal use of the car I have seen scratches/rub marks and such that got on the plastic trim (back of drivers seat, side trim in cargo area, etc). It bugs me excessively everytime I look at it.

So, I found something that Altabrig mentioned down here below
"INTERIOR TRIM SCRATCH SOLUTION

The interior trim on the driver and passenger front doors and the glove compartment were heavily scratched by snow boots and such. Water and rag did nothing. I remembered reading about using a rubbing compound called Scratch Out on interior plastic from a member on PriusChat. The stuff is in a yellow bottle and costs $2.99 at AutoZone - so I gave it a shot. Using a damp microfiber and a small amount of the Scratch Out compound I worked the door, glove compartment, and center console areas for a couple of minutes and then wiped away any residue with a clean microfiber cloth. It looks much better the scratches are 85-90% gone without any hazing. What remains doesn't catch your eye as the scratched out door trim did before every time I opened and closed the door. Sorry, I should have posted before and after pics, but I didn't plan the interior scratch solution as a thread starter."

Is there anything else that can be used to help remove the scarcthes/rub outs, etc? It seems it is so easy to get the plastic scratched up!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I guess through normal use of the car I have seen scratches/rub marks and such that got on the plastic trim (back of drivers seat, side trim in cargo area, etc). It bugs me excessively everytime I look at it.

So, I found something that Altabrig mentioned down here below
"INTERIOR TRIM SCRATCH SOLUTION

The interior trim on the driver and passenger front doors and the glove compartment were heavily scratched by snow boots and such. Water and rag did nothing. I remembered reading about using a rubbing compound called Scratch Out on interior plastic from a member on PriusChat. The stuff is in a yellow bottle and costs $2.99 at AutoZone - so I gave it a shot. Using a damp microfiber and a small amount of the Scratch Out compound I worked the door, glove compartment, and center console areas for a couple of minutes and then wiped away any residue with a clean microfiber cloth. It looks much better the scratches are 85-90% gone without any hazing. What remains doesn't catch your eye as the scratched out door trim did before every time I opened and closed the door. Sorry, I should have posted before and after pics, but I didn't plan the interior scratch solution as a thread starter."

Is there anything else that can be used to help remove the scarcthes/rub outs, etc? It seems it is so easy to get the plastic scratched up!
Very cool, thanks for sharing! The Outback's trim does scratch very easily and the scratches show up readily, especially on the door panels. I will pick some of this stuff up soon!

Edit: Can you post a link to what you used? I searched but only found "stratch out" for exterior paint finishes. Is this what you used? Says it's carnuba wax.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kit-602712-Scratch-Out-Liquid/dp/B000BODW0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363637392&sr=8-1&keywords=scratch+out[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I looked on amazon and they carry several different kinds of scratch out - liquid, paste, rubbing compound, CD repair, etc. All but the last one say they're for clear coat or painted surfaces. Which scratch out type did you use on your interior?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this is what I believe he was talking about, EXCEPT I haven't read anything that mentions anythign about plastic trim. So I do not know if this works?

Very cool, thanks for sharing! The Outback's trim does scratch very easily and the scratches show up readily, especially on the door panels. I will pick some of this stuff up soon!

Edit: Can you post a link to what you used? I searched but only found "stratch out" for exterior paint finishes. Is this what you used? Says it's carnuba wax.

Kit 602712 Scratch Out Liquid - 7 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUDARU, I didn't try anything yet (to fix the scratches), However, SUBIESALOR, im afraid the trim pieces might cost quite a bit (example: I don't think the plastic liner trim piece that hugs the back of the drivers seat comes off-it's probable one piece)

·
Registered
2015 Limited Outback fully loaded
168 Posts
BUDARU, I didn't try anything yet (to fix the scratches), However, SUBIESALOR, im afraid the trim pieces might cost quite a bit (example: I don't think the plastic liner trim piece that hugs the back of the drivers seat comes off-it's probable one piece)
Porschpow. it actually comes off easily. @ phillips screws at the bottum underneath the seat carpet.

·
Registered
'12 Outback 3.6R Limited
185 Posts
I got a scratch pretty early on the silver trim around the shift gate, and one on one of the HVAC buttons. Not much I can do about those I guess.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
I have used both Meguiars Plastx and 3M Marine Cleaner and Wax to polish out fine scratches (and some heavier ones too) on cars/boats/snowmobiles. As with all cleaners/polishes, try a little on a hidden spot first to make sure it works for your application. And don't give up too early. These have an extremely fine polishing compound that can take a while to work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Porschpow. it actually comes off easily. @ phillips screws at the bottum underneath the seat carpet.

Thnks for the help, I assume this panel in question is cheap to replace? Im assuming also that the top part is snap on? (of the panel)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I have been using NuFinish Scratch Doctor for many years on all applications (inside & out). However, some of these scratches on driver side door panel are quite deep and you would have to use something more "substantial" than just NuFinish clearcoat scratch remover. It removes just marks but not deeper scratches.
Some posters advised that they put a self-stick plastic on those exposed areas... that might be a good solution except I haven't sourced such plastic yet...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something I heard about is that people use toothpaste to get scratches out of wood furniture. has anybody heard of this or used this on car applications?

Never heard of this self stick plastic?

NUfinish scratch doctor eh? might pick one up at autozone

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Self stick plastic comes on the car, carpet, seats, etc etc. when the new car is freshly delivered to the dealer from the distributor or port of entry. The dealer takes it off, before delivery to the customer. That plastic....

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Well, some of it is "white" and some of it is "clear"... I think clear would work well there.
It was there - clear (on the door panel), when I picked up my new 2013 OB few months ago but I peeled it off....

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
857 Posts
Self stick plastic comes on the car, carpet, seats, etc etc. when the new car is freshly delivered to the dealer from the distributor or port of entry. The dealer takes it off, before delivery to the customer. That plastic....
But will I get the urge to cover my sofa in plastic? ;)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
gdiener: not sure what urge you may get....

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
It isn't cheap, but some Lamin-X might do the trick to protect it. Not sure how well it would stick to textured surfaces though. On the outside, I put it (or Xpel) on my bumpers and door edges. Also put some under my license plate to protect the finish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts