Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I'm stranded away from home until I can fix this circuit problem....I've thoroughly scoured the forum and can't figure it out.

2007 outback
Here's what I've done:

Using screw driver to override interlock

Replaced break lights...no corrosion on bulbs, sockets look good

Tore into right side hatch boot and repaired 3 broken wires

Hatch lock works now with FOB

DRL, Clearance lights, back wiper, plate light all work

No brake lights, including spoiler 3rd light

Checked all fuses under hood and in cabin...none blown...visual and multimeter continuity checks

Pulled stop brake light switch seems operational, purchased new one....still no break light

4 wires going to stop light switch are not getting voltage....was able to make brake lights come on via a jump to the 4 wires (battery to 4 wires that go to brake light switch...1 of 4 wires made light come on) got a snack and now I can no longer make brake lights come on via jump

My guess is the problem is somewhere between the fuse box under hood to the stop light switch

Do I just find those 4 wires and trace them along circuit looking for something suspicious? Still not blowing fuses so I'm confused because it doesnt seem like a short or a faulty ground.

Also checked 3 fuses to right of fuse box in cabin...they aren't even on the map and pretty tricky to get to ....there's a 7.5 related to brake lights

Also switched known working horn relay with tail relay ...everything seems to be getting voltage except the stop brake switch

Anymore suggestions ?

Thanks

·
Registered
19,035 Posts
Anymore suggestions ?
The stop light circuit is fairly simple, and there's no relays involved. See attached wiring diagram.

Fuse #8, 20 Amps, in the cabin fuse box is the power source.

The stop light switch has four terminals, but only two are for the stop lights. The other two are related to the cruise control. The attached wiring diagram shows which wires are for the stop lights (WL=white with a blue stripe, BrW= brown with white stripe)

My guess is the problem is somewhere between the fuse box under hood to the stop light switch
If there's no voltage measured relative to ground at pin 2 of the stop light switch (WL wire), and you're sure fuse #8 is good, and there's power at fuse #8, then there's a wiring problem between fuse #8 in the cabin fuse panel (not the engine compartment) and the switch.

Are you sure fuse #8 is good? (See diagram on page 12-6 of your Owners Manual for the fuse location.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks plain OM ....wiring issue in the WL ...I FIXED IT! Got my first multimeter today and you guys gave me the confidence to tackle this project....learned a lot and fixed a bunch of stuff in the process of tracking down this sneaky little circuit break.

On my way, way back home!
~Subie Safe~

·
Registered
19,035 Posts
Thanks plain OM ....wiring issue in the WL ...I FIXED IT! Got my first multimeter today and you guys gave me the confidence to tackle this project....learned a lot and fixed a bunch of stuff in the process of tracking down this sneaky little circuit break.

On my way, way back home!
~Subie Safe~
Issues with wires in harnesses are somewhat on the rare side; yes there's the problem in the hatch boots, and occasionally a harness that was rubbing against something, wore through and shorted. So, for others who, in future, might have a similar problem as yours, could you expand on the "wiring issue in the WL"? What was the problem and how/where did you find it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts