·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 H6 OBW

have recently been experiencing some minor binding
in the steering wheel. seems more pronounced at slow
speeds. no vibration,clunking etc

PS fluid level looks good and no leaks present.
haven't seen bubbles or foam in reservoir which ive read
about indicating 0-ring gone bad.

local shop said the intermediate steering shaft needs
to be replaced ($950)

has anyone else replaced theirs.?
and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
583 Posts
They can go bad. Can't tell you if that's really the problem or not. $950 seems extreme considering the part (34170AG041) MSRP is $217.22. You can find them for quite a bit lower online if you shop around. Looking at the service manual, replacement doesn't seem too complicated other than making sure everything is lined up. Definitely not $732 worth of labor.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
isn't there a little u-joint on the steering shafts? maybe that's what's binding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
583 Posts
isn't there a little u-joint on the steering shafts? maybe that's what's binding.
there is a coupling u-joint on the shaft, haven't been able yet to inspect mine.
That's the part I was referring too and the part number I posted. The u-joint is what's considered the intermediate shaft on the Outback (as opposed to the actual steering shaft). You can find the part listed under both descriptions.

An easy way to test it is to just spray both joints with some lubricant and see it you notice any difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently replaced mine on an 06. Bought a used one on eBay for $25. You have to remove (2) 10 mil bolts and wack it with a long pry bar and hammer. Be sure to secure your steering wheel so you do not damage the clock springs. Pretty simple replacement $950 is redonculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts