Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the quick, wife was in car accident back in Jan '12 where our Outback was rear ended. It was only $2100 in damage, mostly new bumper and minor repair to the under body where the spare sits. Anyway ever since this accident our Outback's CVT has seriously slipped at least five times and always happens hundreds of miles apart and only in reverse.

Seams like cold or warm starts don't matter, and it's always reverse. Here is the exact scenario. Get in car, start it let warm up for 10-15 seconds as usual then move shifter to reverse and apply throttle to back up. Engine speed slightly increases more than usual following what feels like massively slipping clutch in reverse with a manual transmission, ending with a thud then everything is fine.

I have taken the car in twice and brought it up with Subaru service, but of course the car won't do it when you take it in for repair. Subaru says they can't fix something they can't see is broken. I'm totally up in arms, not really in a position at this time to replace the car even though my wife has lost confidence in the car regarding the issue.

Just for poops and giggles I called Subaru parts to inquire how much a new CVT trans would cost if say this failed miserably outside of warranty. Parts guy tells me $8,000.....Subaru also doesn't do core exchanges on the CVT, a friend suggested buying a used CVT transmission from a wrecking yard, but this scares me as well since the donating car would have most certainly been hit harder than my wifes car if it was salvaged in the first place. What would you guys do, or have any of you had a similar problem. On another note I find it hard to believe a realitively low speed impact could cause this damage to our CVT?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pehaps it just needs a software update.
Last time it was in for service for stalling idle at stop lights my SA said they loaded all availible updates for the car. This fixed the stalling idle (cars idle would drop from 700-200 Rpm or near stalling when coming to a complete stop) Anyway, the car has 21k miles and has never been abused in any way, is also driven by my wife daily 42 miles round trip all highway.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Logic would tell me something happened after the accident and maybe it has to do with something else besides the CVT. Rear diff axels?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Logic would tell me something happened after the accident and maybe it has to do with something else besides the CVT. Rear diff axels?
That would not give the symptoms that he is describing. Sounds like an issue with the reverse clutch. Maybe just coincidental with the accident.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Maybe some kid took it out baha'ing for the weekend while they had it.

Document EVERYTHING. That way, when the warranty is up, should the trans fail, you can go to Subaru and say "these are all the dates & times I came in and told you the problem, yet you could not fix it and these are all the dates & times it has happened when I am out on my own!"

I don't know how many of you are aware there is an official Subaru site where you can document repairs made to your Subaru, as well as making notes of such things. I had another vehicle that I would always make a notation when the trans started out in second gear, then shifted to first. It would happen maybe once every several hundred miles. I complained to Service, however they could not duplicate the issue. Now, the vehicle has been off warranty for a while and should the trans happen to 'go' on that vehicle, you best bet I will be at the dealer with all my documentation in-hand!

·
Registered
717 Posts
For me, confidence in a car is really important, because I go places and do things where a major failure would a real bummer, even if it didn't directly cost me anything. In your situation, you have another few years and about 40,000 miles of transmission warranty remaining. If you just use the car locally and a major failure wouldn't be a huge inconvenience, consider keeping it and seeing if the problem gets worse. If you take it on trips or places and times that failure would be really bad, then consider trading it in using the guaranteed trade program. I don't think you'll have any luck getting an intermittent problem like this fixed. Nowadays, if you can't see it or it doesn't show up in the computer, the problem doesn't exist as far as the dealer is concerned. Bottom line for me is that if at all financially possible, I'd get rid of it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Document EVERYTHING. That way, when the warranty is up, should the trans fail, you can go to Subaru and say "these are all the dates & times I came in and told you the problem, yet you could not fix it and these are all the dates & times it has happened when I am out on my own!"
Now, the vehicle has been off warranty for a while and should the trans happen to 'go' on that vehicle, you best bet I will be at the dealer with all my documentation in-hand!
This would only be useful if the problem was something that would normally be covered under warranty. The OP clearly stated the problem occurred after an accident and damages incurred as a result are not warranty issues. Unfortunate for the OP but not the dealer's/SoA's problem.

If anything I would do the documentation as suggested (including reporting the symptoms to the dealer/SoA) AND provide the information to the insurance company. Then should a catastrophic failure occur in the future submitting a supplemental claim to the insurance company to see if they would cover it (good luck with that :( ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
MiGreenOB
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing