Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Sep 2014 I brought my Outback to the dealer for an intermittent airbag warning light (2 years + 1 month old and 38,000 miles). It was triggered by cold weather, and the airbag light did not turn back on, but I brought it to the dealer. They were unable to reproduce it and no error codes were stored. Fast forward 3.5 years and now my car is now illuminating the instrument cluster's air bag warning light on every cold morning; when you drive there is an audible chime warning as well. After a 5 minute warm-up, I can turn off the car and restart it and the airbag warning light disappears.

I called the dealer again to ask about logistics of getting this checked out and verified. I have to leave the car there for one (or more) days so the car can get cold enough overnight to reproduce the issue. They said I could rent one of their new 2017 loaner vehicles for $40/day while they looked at the issue; I balked at that, and he reduced it to $20/day. I couldn't get him to budge from there. I ended up having to travel that week and couldn't bring it in, so I'll have to call again to make an appointment.

A couple questions: is the airbag system covered by the normal 36k mile warranty, or is it covered by something longer as it's a critical safety system? (I have no additional warranties). Any recommendations for getting a lower price loaner vehicle from the dealer while my car sits there a couple days awaiting a cold enough morning? (I am waiting until it looks like the weather will cooperate and my schedule aligns).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
449 Posts
From what I can see the warranty is 36 months. However since you did make a complaint several years ago you "might" be able to press for some sort of extended warranty.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,176 Posts
I would contact SOA stating that you took it in originally to have it checked and now the problem has reoccurred. They were notified of the problem whilst it was under warranty. It's just that they were unwilling or unable to diagnose it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
890 Posts
Is your passenger seat bottom wet or signs of it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts