Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what might cause an intermittent clutch/rubber burning smell coming from under the car/engine bay area?

We have had a small amount of winter weather come through the area last night and this morning. Mainly rain/freezing rain, nothing serious.

This morning I dropped my girlfriend off at the metro station, its about a 30min drive both ways, all highway. When I got home and pulled into the garage I noticed a strong smell coming from under the car and engine bay area. I'm pretty sure it's the clutch but I have no idea why that would be. I've made this drive 100 times with the same results, execpt for this time. I can't think of a time during the drive when I thought I might have over-reved it or had to work the clutch or anything to make it smell, again, since it's all highway driving.

Drove it to work this morning and I don't smell anything.

I had the transmission rebuilt and a new clutch installed 15k ago and this is the first time I've smelt this. My last oil change was over a month and 1500 miles ago so I know it's not left over oil drops on the headers/exhaust or anything like that. I'm taking it to the dealer on Friday for them to replace the alternator pulley so I'll mention this to them while they have it.

Any ideas or should I just rack this up the a freak incident, install my Subtle Solutions spacers and move on with my life?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
It could just be the cold. You have ice on the ground up there, right? Low ambient temps and really thick fluid or sticking slave may not be letting the clutch engage fully. Could be a combination of water on the clutch that is burning with the heat and its not the clutch at all. Or water heating up on the case of the diff. Speaking of diff, how's the condition and level of its fluid?

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't say how the level is. However, that is one thing I want the dealer to check while the have it. Isn't checking the fluid levels of the diffs part of the maintenance schedule?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Just because its on the list does not mean the tech actually does it. Some are too lazy and just check mark the list. If you are going to the dealer, give the service manager specific instruction on what you want checked and that you expect a detailed answer.

·
Registered
ADF lifted BP
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the smell still hasn't come back even after driving a couple more times today.

I'm thinking when I drove through a fairly deep puddle this morning that maybe some water got on some wires or something...i dunno. Ill keep an eye on it and let the dealer know what happened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts