Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the past couple weeks my car will misfire and stumble on cold start ups. It's a 2001 subaru outback 2.5L. The check engine light came on for misfire on Cyl #3 & 4, i had replaced plugs and wires a couple months back and figured it had to be the coil pack considering 3 & 4 share a coil but the new coil pack didn't change a thing. Since it's only happening for maybe 10 seconds on cold starts i decided to not worry about it for the time being but that turned out to be a mistake.

Today my car started overheating intermittently, going nearly in the red at times so i stopped at the nearest garage where they told me that the previous owner had apparently put stop leak into the coolant system and caused the thermostat to go bad and told me i needed and coolant flush and a new thermostat which they did. So after they do that and i pay and am on my way home the car started to overheat again so i turned around and brought it back to the garage where they test more stuff. They did a pressure test on the cooling system and tried bleeding it a second time, fans work, but the engine is still overheating. They say they have no idea what's wrong with it and that they will check it again tomorrow.

I've done some research and have found that a faulty coolant temperature sensor could cause both of these weird problems that i've been having. What else could it be?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
did that shop install an OEM-style thermostat? a 2001 could also need its original radiator cap replaced.

if the previous owner had actually put stop leak in the system, it may have been an effort to ameliorate overheating, perhaps from a bad headgasket. Is coolant being pushed into the overflow tank? Is there any bubbling when the car is overheating?

If the stop leak has clogged the heater core, it may be the problem. One test would be to temporarily bypass it with a connection of a test pipe and hoses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if the thermostat was oem or not. They tested the head gasket as well, checked out fine. The engine was completely rebuilt 20k miles ago. As for the stop leak i would have to assume it was put in it before the rebuild and had some crud left over in the radiator and circulated through out. I would also assume they flush the heater core as they do the coolant system flush?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,464 Posts
You can do this at home with a funnel that will sit tight in the radiator or you can go to the parts store and buy a filling funnel like the one in this video. This will tell you if its a HG or not. Don't sweat the data stream details. Mainly, the bubbling in the funnel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.