Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'96 Outback 2.2/F350
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the '96's we HG'd runs great except for a sporadic, brief power-loss that occurs at all speeds but only under "cruise throttle" (it does not happen while accelerating at all). Thoughts??? This symptom did not exist before the HG work. And No, as a matter of fact the tensioner/idler were not replaced (separated-type).
Thanks!

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,538 Posts
Last tune up ? what was done ?

Describe the power loss in more detail. Complete loss of power ? Reduced power ? How long does the power loss usually last ?

Does pedal input effect it ?

Does power come back on "hard" ?

Any CEL's, Flashing cruise light ?

When engines have intermittent power loss, It's generally electrical. Could be a short in either the ignition [coil, plug wire, cam or crank sensor] or with an injector wire.

Check all the wires for damage and that the connections are clean and seated properly.

Just some "blanket" guesses since i know nothing about the cars state of tune.

As far as the tensioner, if the belt slipped, It wouldn't be an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
'96 Outback 2.2/F350
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ran fine before, so...

I don't think "tune" issues could be the culprit due to the fact that it ran strong and solid prior to our HG work (we did replace plugs/wires). Somebody mentioned O2 sensor. It fades for about a second every 10-20 seconds. Yeah, it comes back hard, which I suppose points to electrical before fuel-starvation. No CEL.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
@Jeremy97ej25dohc

Fuel, air, fire and management

Any codes popping up on the ECM?

Start with the battery and grounding, move to alternator function. Then clean all the grounds on the engine. Clean the throttle body. Make sure the air intake system is sealed up aft of the MAF. Check for vacuum leaks. Check fuel pressure and flow. Check timing and that there's nothing around the cam and crank sensor to disrupt the signals. Check the EVAP system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts