Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: sometimes when I start my 2004 Subaru outback the radio, all the wipers and seat warmers don't work. They come back on after a while or after a restart. Either they all work or none of them do. The fuses seem ok. Could this be a bad ground or am i in for an expensive run at the dealership? Thank you for any input on this.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
When this happens, can you adjust the outside rear view mirrors? Do the vanity lights (the lights for the mirrors in the sun visors) work?

The "common" element in the functions you find aren't working (and the ones mentioned above) is the ACC position of the ignition switch. It could be a contact in the switch that's bad.

When you are going to start the car, first turn the key to the ACC position (not to On or Start) and see if the radio or wipers work. If they don't, "jiggle" the key a bit, or even move it back to OFF then to ACC again and see what happens. Try this each time you go to start the car (when you would expect this problem to arise).

If the accessories always seem to work when the switch is first put into the ACC position only, then do the same but turn the key to ON (not Start) and again see if the accessories work. If not, then try "jiggling" the key, or move it to ACC and back to ON and see what happens.

The idea here is to see if just moving the switch a bit is enough to get the power through to the accessories. (There's no other component, such as a relay, involved in these accessories, and they don't share a single fuse.)

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweeet! The jiggle worked four times now while the car was running and it's raining here today--perfect timing. I owe you a couple beers. Thank you very much plain om!! I wouldn't have thought it would be related to the ignition. Should I spray someing in there or try and clean it out with compressed air?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts