Subaru Outback Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Introducing SubaruOutback.org Ride of the Month! April ROTM Submission Thread

8K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  eagleeye 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the Outback of the Month Competition!

Please follow all instructions posted below:
  1. You must add 3 Photos; no more, no less. No collages. Pictures must be of the current state of your vehicle. Avoid having any people in your images.
  2. List any/all "legal" modifications to your vehicle if you have done any.*
  3. You must currently own the vehicle being entered.
  4. Include a short description of your favorite aspect of your vehicle, or your favorite memory or ride taken with your vehicle.*
  5. Remember, please post your entries and pictures in this thread.
  6. If you have won in a previous month, you can no longer enter for the rest of the year. However, if you have a second car that meets the above criteria, you can enter that.
* These are optional but encouraged

Votes for the month’s winner will be tallied by the number of “Likes” your post has on the last day of the month. The winner at the end of the month will win a free 1 Year Premium Membership for the forum and a custom flair under their username. If the winner is already a premium member, their subscription will be extended an additional year.

Winners will be featured on the sites gallery, found here.

Good luck! ("show me what you got")

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll enter our 2004 Outback VDC.

I bought it in 2014 with 133k miles on it, looking like this:

NCM_0448
by Numbchux, on Flickr

Fixed it up, and have been driving the crap out of it:

20160701_184051
by Numbchux, on Flickr

Currently has 240k on it, and I recently cut the front bumper

2021-04-05_08-13-11
by Numbchux, on Flickr

Not many modifications....
Trailer hitch
Yatour aux input module for the McIntosh stereo
LED low beam headlights, marker/signal sockets modified to accept 2 switchback LEDs on each side, extremely bright LED reverse lights
'01 radio trim (3rd cup holder)

This car moved most of our belongings when we bought our home. Carried both of our children home from the hospital to that home. Taken us on many camping trips. Several trips to the local off road park. It's been to the High Rock Bay at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula in the UP of Michigan (about 8 miles of forest road). It carried my wife, first child (when she was about 14 months old) and I on a 3600 mile round trip from home in northern Minnesota to visit my in-laws in South Carolina. It's served as an evac vehicle for the National Ski Patrol at the American Birkebeiner.

I don't think I'll ever sell/scrap it...

#3 ·
My 2020 Outback Onyx edition:

No major mods. Some of the things I did:
New tires
Mudflaps
Subaru ownership badges
All interior and reverse bulbs were changed to LEDs

The 2020 model year in my opinion is the best Outback year. It is so comfortable and with the XT trim, the one thing I was missing in the 2.5i, power, is no longer an issue. Underneath all the structural improvements, it is still an Outback. So the same ground clearance and AWD are pretty great in it's class. Even at 80mph, with it fully loaded, I did not feel like it was missing any power. In fact, it is surprising just how much the turbo doesn't seem to care about added drag from the roof top box or the added weight inside.

More importantly, this is the car in which I had all my siblings together in one place for the first time in 10 years.

#4 ·
The wife’s Outback Limited 3.6 R. This replaced a 2005 4Runner she bought new and drove 350,000 miles… so she already knew how to take care of a car before she met me :) The Outback was a year-old and came from her sister-in-law whose daughter conveniently worked as a saleswoman at a Subaru dealer, so it came as a CPO. It all worked out nicely, as S-I-L bought an Ascent.

It now has 46,000 miles and I've added a Draw-Tite hitch, some Subaru replacement filters, wiper blades, Forester chrome exhaust tips, and a few oil changes… and Subaru did a bit of warranty work on the driver’s seat and head unit. I have also installed mud flaps and a set STI foot pedal covers.

It quickly became our highway cruiser. We are in Atlanta and my elderly folks are down in south Florida, and as such we’ve taken a number of eighteen-hour three-day weekend strolls, and with the Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires, the car just quietly and effortlessly eats up the miles. It also hauls a solid amount of stuff, as we’ve had to bring back multiple full loads of “things” my parents would have had to rent a storage facility for during their last move. We usually average north of 70 mph and 25 mpg and see a range of a tick over 500 miles.

It is easy to nit-pick of course, and not everyone has the same ideas when it comes to value, but these are hard to beat – they just hit a sweet spot.

Thanks to Kevin and the mods for this forum, it's been a great resource (y)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
How many can I enter???????

First one is the 2001 Outback VDC wagon with a little boost. 😎

EZ30D engine with all stock internals, Raptor VLLC supercharger, WTA intercooler with a Prius inverter pump circulating it's coolant, 850cc injectors, Aeromotive adjustable FPR, WRX 3 BAR MAP sensor, (sensor rescaled in the ROM), 4EAT "Bulletproof" trans built by Level 10 with modified VB, clutches and Torque Converter good to 750 HP, tuned stock ECM and the VDC still works. Sometimes too well and it has to be shut off so I can get on it.

Suspension is Gen 2 Legacy wagon struts and top hats with H&R sport springs, Megan Racing rear adjustable lateral arms, Whiteline rear stabilizer bar, unknown brand front strut brace, (it came out of Japan), riding on Motegi FF7 18x7.5 wheels.

The hood is from a turbo Legacy out of Japan, the front headlights are JDM HID modified for US spec projectors. Front bumper is Spec B. Rear tail lights are clear from a Lancaster, as is the rear spoiler. I don't recall where the grille came from.

Interior got an A-pillar 3 gauge mount for a Forester, slightly modified to fit, for AF and boost gauges, EGT and charge pipe MAP gauges mounted along side it, Clarion DD receiver with 13 speakers, (4 component speakers in the doors, 2 tweeters in the door pillar, 3 subwoofers, Sound Ordnance amp), and Chinese Burlewood finish on the doors and dashboard.

It's all in the "sleeper vdc" thread linked in the signature.

When I got it in 2012

Today, well, taken a few months ago, but you get the drift. So does the car. (y)(y)

#6 · (Edited)
The other one is a 2006 BAJA XT

EJ255 (version 2 with STI pistons); 5 Speed
Weapon R intake tube, silicone turbo inlet. Ported and polished stock 13T turbo, Invidia downpipe.
6” SJR lift with front and rear subframe, control arm, and trailing arm spacers.
Custom lengthened driveshaft and shift linkages.
2” wheel spacers with 5x114.3 or 5x4.5. Aluminum 15” jeep wheels with BFGoodrich KO2 31X10.50R15LT tires.
Whiteline rear subframe bushings.
Whiteline adjustable sway bar linkages.
Billy Bong adjustable rear lower control arms.
Godspeed adjustable rear upper control arms.
TEIN Flex-Z coilovers.
Stage 2 Clutch set with 12.5 lb flywheel.
Kenwood DD, Polk Audio component speakers, front door tweeters, Sound Ordnance mini amp and Sound Ordnance 8” enclosed powered subwoofer.

It is now tuned properly with the boost hitting 16 psi and no knock.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

This is during the stereo installation. DD head unit, component speakers in the 4 doors, tweeters on the door pillar, power subwoofer in the space where the rear center console used to be and an amp for the door speakers under the driver seat.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

#7 ·
I added a Steel Engine Underguard, Curt Hitch, ProClip phone holder, Yakima Skybox and Yakima Slim Shady awning to my 2020 Outback Limited. Recently updated tires to Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails.

I definitely enjoy the capabilities of the Outback. Drives to ski in Montana and hike in SE Utah are favorites. The Outback handles snow and rough roads with ease.

#8 · (Edited)
My 2021 Pearl White Touring.

Chrome deleted everything.
Subaru Hitch
1up bike mount
Changed all interior incandescent to led.
Added Rokblokz mud flaps
Motegi 139 17”
Faulken wildpeak 235/65/17
Added onyx front grill
Orsini vinyl overlays
Front window tint
Full size spare tire with matching Motegi rim.
Best memory so far is a trip to the Rocky Mountains with the fam.

#9 · (Edited)
Mods. Well there's a ham radio installed under the driver seat with the controls on the overhead console. The sharkfin antenna was removed and replaced with the ham radio antenna. There is an Area 51 parking permit hanging from the rearview mirror. Putting in a CB next, and replacing the meep meep horns.

OB is a good fit for a tall person. Rented one in 2011 and liked it enough to buy one. Surprises were how easy it is to maintain. Decent commuter, 75 miles a day in the daily US101 rallyfest. Been wrecked twice. 111,000 miles, taking it to 200,000 and beyond.

#10 ·
Dazed & Confused. I hope this is the entry page. New to Subaru. I Just buy this 2000 Subaru OUTBACK yesterday. 154,000 Miles. "May need new head gasket" the ad reads. I'm cripple with MS & on a walker when my other car ( not a Subaru) dies when the car transmission goes out completely. The OUTBACK SELLER assures me that this OUTBACK will run forever as long as I keep adding fluids every 200 miles, avoid the mountains & avoid the 70 mph Interstate highways where they expect you all to drive like you're in THE DAYTONA 500. Google says the same thing, regarding OUTBACKS & HEADGASKETS. They run forever with a bad headgasket, just keep adding fluids!".... The seller says, "I PUT A SEALANT ON IT. SHE SHOULD GET YU BACK TO CHICAGO. JUST GET AN OIL CHANGE BEFORE YOU LEAVE JACKSONVILLE (FL). I name her "STREET ROACH" because just like a Florida cockroach, "SHE JUST NEVER DIES!!" ... So we shall see. ~ Stay tuned, Viewers! I leave Jacksonville, FL for Chicago, IL as soon as I get to the Subaru dealer for her oil change & to ask what kind of gas she needs. ~ Bon Voyage'! ~ Jules (Dee Kalpoet)

#14 ·
I've had this 2021 Limited XT only since February, but already taken a nice long drive around the southwest. Each of these photos capture a favorite memory, but best would have to be our camp spot in Valley of the Gods, Utah. The middle picture is from a stop in Arizona and the last is in Castle Crags State Park near Mt. Shasta, California. It's proven to be reasonably comfortable on long drives and sleep overs, and a modestly cool enough car to do all the normal things I like to do around town. It's the perfect balance.

Modifications and accessories include:
Wheels & Tires: Sparco Assetto Gara with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 (235 65 17)
Suspension: Rallitek overload springs with 1/2" spacers (total 1" lift)
Subaru Sport Grille
Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack
Thule Vector M cargo box

#15 ·
This is my 2008 n/a manual outback! 165k miles
I am 17 years old and am super grateful for all the lessons this car has taught me.

A couple months after I got this outback, my rear cam seal sprung a very big leak.

As a result of this (and also because I needed a new clutch system) I decided to pull the engine and fix it!
I found the factory service manual and pulled the engine. I replaced the clutch, De-greased the whole engine, replaced a leaky rear main seal, and replaced that cam seal. (all of this with zero outside help from anyone)

Engines back in (that was about a year ago) and it is leak free, smooth running and great still!

Here is a list of repairs/modifications that I have done to my car.
-Kartboy short shifter and bushings kit.
-Sti shift knob :)
-New clutch, pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel, and clutch bearing
-Oil changes
-New cam seal, rear main seal
-Coilovers and new control arm bushings
-New transmission fluid
-New power steering pump o ring-- you probably know what I mean
-new front end-links
-new timing belt kit and water pump
-currently have the dash removed because I am repairing a faulty manual blend door for the hot-cold adjustment
-also have a 20mm whiteline rear sway bar and beefy end links on the way.
-also working on fabricating rear sway bar mount reinforces (with the help of a friend)
-also working on fixing the rear windows (both of the wiper seals need to be replaced, and one of them had been stuck closed)
- I'm missing some things but this is what I remember!

#17 ·
I bought my '09 3.0R in November of last year. Here's what I've done so far:

Interior LEDs
Clay bar and ceramic coating
New cargo mat
Plasti-Dipped chrome trim, badges, grill and wheels
Bluetooth adapter
Kicker speakers in all 4 doors
JBL amplified sub (disconnected factory sub)
TPMS sensors
Fog bulbs
WeatherTech front mats
Badge decals
Dash cover (has the sticky dash syndrome)

#18 · (Edited)
I bought my '09 3.0R in November of last year. Here's what I've done so far:

Interior LEDs
Clay bar and ceramic coating
New cargo mat
Plasti-Dipped chrome trim, badges, grill and wheels
Bluetooth adapter
Kicker speakers in all 4 doors
JBL amplified sub (disconnected factory sub)
TPMS sensors
Fog bulbs
WeatherTech front mats
Badge decals
Dash cover (has the sticky dash syndrome) View attachment 509785 View attachment 509786
View attachment 509784
Super clean. Looks great.

How'd you do the badges/chrome trim? I'm about to attempt this myself.
Edit: reading comprehension fail, my bad 😂

#19 ·
Filup the 3.6 takes me places, so the least I can do is take pictures of Filup

Favorite legal mods:
  • ADF 2” front 2.5” rear lift
  • ADF front skid plate
  • Plasti dipped cargo box and all chrome (except wheels)

Favorite memory is a one week loop from Tigard, OR to Ruby Mountains, NE Nevada -> SLC, UT -> Driggs, ID -> White Sulfur Springs, MT -> Coueur d’Alene, ID -> Hermiston, OR -> Tigard, OR

#27 ·
#29 ·
well you can wait until Tuesday, if you are still enjoying the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.