Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT Pearly white
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone , This is my first post and I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Jordan and I live in southern Ontario , I recently purchased my first Subaru , and there is no turning back now! What an amazing car:29:

Its a 2012 OB 2.5,CVT Premium pkg. Pearl White

Unfortunately my fist post is a consequence of some ignoramus in the costco parking lot.

Came out to find a huge crack in my rear bumper just behind the DS rear wheel, its dirty and hard to tell what caused the damage as there are very few signs other than the crack:mad:

I'm a DIY kinda guy, and have already bought a plastic airless soldering tool and some stainless mesh to make the repair .

I have tried to search for bumper removal , to no avail so I will kindly ask for some assistance from the community :D

Thanks in advance
Jordan :7:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Cobalt, that is what I am looking for:29:

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Welcome to the boards, friend!

Sorry to hear about the crack, I'd be a bit angry as I wouldn't even know where to start repairing something body-wise. Just remember, park farther from the doors and away from other cars when possible, keeps your car looking much nicer longer! :)

Good to meet another pearl white owner, wish I had the fog lights though...looks much more complete than my base model does.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
Similar thing happened to me but at a Sam's Club in Latham a few months ago.

I was actually in my car about to reverse out of my spot when a cart came crashing into my driver side front qtr panel above the wheel well. (The parking lot is at an angle and an unattended cart got loose from across the parking lot.) The cart left a huge dent above the wheel well.:mad:

I went right into the Sam's Club and asked to speak with a manager. I explained what had happened. Verbatim from the manager..."You are the 3rd person today that this has happened to." Maybe they should have sent people out to clear the carts after the first incident, right???:28: To my surprise, all I had to do was fill out an accident report. He came out with a camera to document the damage. They also had to refer to the security footage from the parking lot to verify what had happened.

Next day, I got a call from their insurance company. They told me to get a quote and email mail it to them. Had a check for the repair within 8 days from the incident.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To my surprise, all I had to do was fill out an accident report. He came out with a camera to document the damage. They also had to refer to the security footage from the parking lot to verify what had happened.

Next day, I got a call from their insurance company. They told me to get a quote and email mail it to them. Had a check for the repair within 8 days from the incident.
Interesting. Most parking lots have placed signs to help absolve them from the responsability of cart damage. Nice to see that they were willing to help.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Hello aircooled and welcome. Not sure how it works in the Great White North, but I've had similar experiences with my cars and was able to have my insurance company pay for the repairs using comprehensive coverage. It is a no fault part of the policy used to cover stuff like your situation and when the other motorist does not have insurance. Making a claim to comprehensive coverage does not count against your policy or raise your rates. Most U.S. insurance companies strongly suggest or insist that you have comprehensive if the car is still on a lien - still being paid off from a bank loan.

Unless you have experience with body work, I suggest you contact your car insurance co. to see if they'll pay someone who does. It's hard to make body work look like new. Even harder on plastic that flexes and more so on white. Call your agent if they have that option in Canada.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately in this case Costco says " Sorry we cant help , you need to talk to your insurance company"
My insurance says " $500 deductible " :28:
Oh well , guess I will have to do my best fixing it at home, good thing there are great tutorials online.
I am a millwright by trade so working with my hands comes naturally

I will post some pics in the spring when I get around to doing it. Far too cold outside to complete now

Funny , looking around the forums ( subie/STI ) most guys say " drill holes and zip/ cable tie the crack, it adds character "
Its too hard to do on such a new car though

Thanks again for the welcome wishes and advice

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I bet the wheel arch moldings would cover that right up.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
+1. Maybe not the very tip but most all of it. Not a cheap fix but would provide a very nice cover.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
You are kidding, right? The wheel arch moldings only covers appx 50 mm from any edge. Not to mention the fact that some of the clips/screws would be attached to the cracked portion of the bumper. That would be an ill advised solution, in my opinion.
I would just leave it "as is" and wait until you get some more substantial damage worth repairing under your insurance policy.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You are kidding, right? The wheel arch moldings only covers appx 50 mm from any edge. Not to mention the fact that some of the clips/screws would be attached to the cracked portion of the bumper. That would be an ill advised solution, in my opinion.
I would just leave it "as is" and wait until you get some more substantial damage worth repairing under your insurance policy.
Take another look. The secondary(less prominent) crease in the fender is just about the outer limit line of the arch mouldings. The L shaped mouldings would also give support on two planes possibly keeping the crack from running as a result of vibrations/wind. My guess is mouldings would cover 95% of the damage. With some minimal touch up paint(if any) it would be invisible to most everybody but the owner. I still give it a +1. YMMV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet , I didn't even realize they sell wheel arches :29:

Can you confirm that they would cover the crack? or most of it.
Also would I still have to repair the crack or just attach the arches ?

I really like the look of them , where is the best place to buy them?

Pm me if someone has a set and wants to sell

:7:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Sweet , I didn't even realize they sell wheel arches :29:

Can you confirm that they would cover the crack? or most of it.
Also would I still have to repair the crack or just attach the arches ?

I really like the look of them , where is the best place to buy them?

Pm me if someone has a set and wants to sell

:7:
Check pics here:http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ide-molding-wheel-arch-molding-questions.html

It's so close to that secondary crease it either covers it or you don't notice it. I would leave the repair alone and let mouldings cover and stabilize the crack from getting worse.

Subaru Parts Warehouse has a 20% off sale until about Feb 6th. Comes out to about $300 give or take a bit.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Hi everyone , This is my first post and I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Jordan and I live in southern Ontario , I recently purchased my first Subaru , and there is no turning back now! What an amazing car:29:

Its a 2012 OB 2.5,CVT Premium pkg. Pearl White

Unfortunately my fist post is a consequence of some ignoramus in the costco parking lot.

Came out to find a huge crack in my rear bumper just behind the DS rear wheel, its dirty and hard to tell what caused the damage as there are very few signs other than the crack:mad:

I'm a DIY kinda guy, and have already bought a plastic airless soldering tool and some stainless mesh to make the repair .

I have tried to search for bumper removal , to no avail so I will kindly ask for some assistance from the community :D

Thanks in advance
Welcome the abs plastic bumper cover your options are limited. If you can access the back side then your in good shape. Check out g-flex epoxy amazing stuff! Small patch of light glass with g-flex will make it the strongest section of the entire bumper. Be cautious and the painted side wont need a thing.

We use it in the sailboat world. It holds the two halves of my 30foot carbon mast together on my $40,000 racing boat

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I did have another look but I am still sceptical about that being even temporary solution, I am sorry... just my opinion. I would probably do, what subiesailor is suggesting and then touch up the crack with touch up paint.
I have a dent in rear bumper as well but it did not crack. I will wait until I have more major damage there ... like some of the bumper stickers in Calif. scream: Hit me I need the money... LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts