Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.0R 05
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just joined, thanks for having me on your site. I dont even have an OB yet but I have ordered it. 3.0R in arctic pearl white. Wow can't wait. The dealer said it was the most unpopular colour-what does he know, I like it.
Anyway nice to meet you all, I'll keep you up to date with the purchase of my new transport.

Kind regards, Jim:D

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Good to see the occasional new "recruit" show up during the first month or so I've been here. Means the place is growing, or at least continuing along okay.

If this will be your first AWD I know you'll like that. I sure do. I went with the smaller Impreza Outback Sport, me being single. The bigger Outbacks seem better as a family car, although I'm not certain how everyone feels about that.

White is popular in its own right, I guess, just as black is. I don't care for either, which is why I got silver (or light gray). ;) I've seen that the Imprezas have a new Crystal Gray color for '05 and was considering a dark gray earlier (different vehicles) but my choices were limited when buying a 2004, so late in the model year game too (last month).

I bet the 3.0 liter will be nice. AT or MT?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Osmium, welcome to the club. We need to see pics when you get your new ride. And don't forget about the #1 Outback resource, right here. Brian

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Osmium, welcome! So are you a chemist with such an elemental name? ;) Funny that the Pearl White is the least popular, I personally think it looks great and it would have to be the second most popular colour here in Australia after the Silver. Hmmm I guess I could be wrong, seen quite a few Champagne Gold Pearls too.. But seriously, the white looks great! :D

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.0R 05
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
roo yes it will be the first AWD that I've owned but I have driven Landrovers for other people, not much similarity tho to a Suby. It is AT, MT is not yet available with 3.0 in UK but I'd probably have gone for auto anyway. The older I grow the lazier I get. Not really
:) Brian when I finally get the beast I'll post some pics. Hi Jondalar I'm a mechanical engineer, I read that osmium is the densest element so I thought it suited me. BTW I've a peculiar sense of humour but none of us is perfect;) Apparently in this country silver metallic is the most popular colour followed by metallic gold. One disadvantage of ordering white is that I have to wait for another shipment from Japan but having test driven a couple of OBs it will be worth the wait.
I seem to be hogging too much space so I'll go for now.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
I prefer AT over MT. My '04 OBS has the AT. I try not to think of it as being lazy, just easier. :)

One thing I had to do to get the car to drive better was an ECM reset because it was seeming like it would never quit being like a jack rabbit when accelerating from a stop. I gave it three weeks to learn my driving habits. It's good now, smoother shifting too. The downshifts were dramatic before. Would also wallow around during coasting and light pedal changes. Still can feel the AT lumbering along when I slightly let up or push down on the accelerator pedal, but it's so much better now. I think I just notice it from being overly sensitive to that. That's something you can never get around, since MT usually has all it's idiosyncrosies at the hand of the driver and all else is how the drivetrain (and whole vehicle) runs.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.0R 05
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK roo thanks, when I finally get into the driving seat I shall remember your advice. Some ATs' can be very notchy, my old Volvo oil burner has one such, just not well married to the engine torque characteristics and no ECM of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts