Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
white 2013 subaru outback 2.5i 6 speed manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any problems and or solutions to blue tooth pairing and remembering your device.!also issues with auto connecting. My iPhone 4 worked great with my 2013 outback 2.5. I just got the 5 and it has been very frustrating trying to figure out how to get it working properly. I see on some apple forums and blue tooth forums other people are having issues but hoping there are some Subaru answers here... Thanks
I had it working for a while but I had to turn blue tooth back off and on to get it to re connect once re entering my car. Than I told it to forget the device thinking it might reset it or something and now when I try and pair it i get "not available"
I already deleted my old phone. Please help.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I don't have the iPhone but I had a similar situation (when swicthing/upgrading the phones). You have to delete the previous phone that is stored in the bluetooth connect application.. otherwise, if you just add a new one (and previous remains stored there) they will clash...and the new one will not work properly; pulsating between the two bluetooths....at least that was the problem on my 2013 OB...

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Limited, Black Silica
383 Posts
You'd have to use search but there is a good thread in here somewhere on the Iphone blutooth setup. I have the iPhone 5 and haven't had any trouble since the first set up. It always reconnects and generally seems work ok.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
Yes to deleting what's set up in the car's system, restart your phone, start a set up again.

I'm a sys admin and these are problems I see with many phones and not iPhones. My own iPhone 5 works great with the car.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Yes to deleting what's set up in the car's system, restart your phone, start a set up again.

I'm a sys admin and these are problems I see with many phones and not iPhones. My own iPhone 5 works great with the car.
Yep - that's what I had to do, when I switch/upgraded my Samsung Galaxy...as posted in my response to coastoutback....

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i SAP Limited
32 Posts
I have been having some frustrating issues with my iPhone 5 and the Outback's Bluetooth. Many times my phone will connect without issue, however other times it will connect and then disconnect when I try to use the phone, or it will connect the phone OK and Audio will connect (and play) but not show metadata (song info) and the controls (play, pause, etc.) on the Nav screen will not work. Or it simply will not connect.

One time it showed Connection Failed, but when I went into the Bluetooth menu it showed Connected. I manually disconnected and manually connected and it was fine.

Having audio connected but no controls/metadata happened today and while sitting in traffic I tried to access the Bluetooth page to troubleshoot but all Bluetooth buttons were grayed out and inaccessible. I thought it was due to the fact that I was in Drive, but at one point they brightened up and a moment later went gray again. Also I think I remember accessing these buttons in the past while the car was in Drive.

Very frustrating. I have deleted my wife's phone and only have mine on the system, and when I start the car (to warm it up in the garage) I make sure the iPhone is in the car upon start up. Most of the time that works fine.

Issues like this are difficult to troubleshoot, and it is difficult to tell whether this is an issue with the iPhone, Bluetooth system in the car or both. I do know that the Nav in the 2013 Outback is a new one, and there have been multiple bugs reported, so I think there is a chance both devices could be contributing to some of the problems. Very annoying...

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
Regarding the BT Anyone here with iPhone 5's have the ability to send reply's once a message has been received?? This has been an ongoing problem that doesn't appear to have been rectified... (Note I'm talking about the Fujitsu-Ten / HK 440 system)

Steve

·
Registered
2013 OB 3.6R Satin White Pearl
224 Posts
Bluetooth/HTC issue

I couldn't find a separate thread for Bluetooth issues paired with HTC Sensation. I just purchased my 2013 OB 3.6R last week. (no factory nav, not Limited) I am not technically savvy at all. The dealership paired my phone with my car when I took delivery. I can receive calls through Bluetooth, but have to dial out on my phone. It is not recognizing my voice for commands. When my phone is paired, no turn by turn directions come through the speakers-I can only get turn by turn by using the phone with Bluetooth off. Also, the USB only charges my phone intermittently. SOA has opened a case for me and I will go to dealership tomorrow. They recommend having the system checked for quality and shorts. Will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just skimmed the responses, so this may have been said already. I had the exact same problem, upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 5 and had the pairing problem. You can't simply delete the phone from the car using the radio. You have to do it by voice command. It doesn't make sense, but that's how it works.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 premium, rear sway bar, and way too many accessories. Anything that can make Boston winters more tolerable (e.g. remote start, molded wintertech snow mats etc).
279 Posts
Bluetooth and cell phones are funny.

I have an iphone5 that I bought two months ago. It pairs perfectly with my 2011 Outback 3.6 premium (whatever radio is standard with that, Harmon?) - never once a problem, and it paired perfectly with my HTC Droid Incredible 2. I simply deleted the Incredible 2 from the Subaru and the iphone5 worked perfectly. But many smart folks doing the same thing with the exact same system find that this pairing is unreliable.

Meanwhile, the iphone5 will not reliably pair with my Blackberry Stereo Gateway in the car. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and I have to push the "pair" button on my Gateway a few times to get them to pair. Not the end of the world, just a matter of pushing the button. But for other folks this works perfectly without the need to monkey around.

I guess this sort of thing happens often anytime one depends upon multiple manufacturers to adhere to standards, which they themselves may not be tightly defined.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I just skimmed the responses, so this may have been said already. I had the exact same problem, upgraded from iphone 4 to iphone 5 and had the pairing problem. You can't simply delete the phone from the car using the radio. You have to do it by voice command. It doesn't make sense, but that's how it works.
I deleted unused bluetooth registered phone by using NAV screen - I did not delete it by voice command....I don't know, how it's done, when you don't have NAV option...I should have mentioned earlier that it can be done that way, if your car has navigation option... sorry about that!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't have the HK radio or nav, just the basic 6 speaker system. On that system, the phone needs to be deleted by voice command rather than using the buttons. Seems like a dumb oversight, but at least a solution exists.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I don't have the HK radio or nav, just the basic 6 speaker system. On that system, the phone needs to be deleted by voice command rather than using the buttons. Seems like a dumb oversight, but at least a solution exists.
Yep... I agree....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all, this is good information!

I started fresh with my new iPhone 5 and my new Outback, so no previous iPhone to delete, however the sales rep at the dealership set my iPhone up with Nav buttons, not voice control, so I guess still worth trying, right?

So just to confirm: I want to use voice controls to delete my existing iPhone bluetooth phone/audio set up, and then use voice controls to add my phone/audio again. Correct? I will review the manual to understand how to do this, but is there any interaction with the stereo/nav buttons or is everything literally done by voice?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
If you have NAV screen, this is done on NAV screen.
If you don't, follow jonlong724 suggestion...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks! So voice control gets me started, but then it is done on Nav screen. Sweet, will try today. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Thanks! So voice control gets me started, but then it is done on Nav screen. Sweet, will try today. Thanks again...
Sorry, that is not what I've said:
If you have navigation in your car, all is done on the NAV screen ... no voice control at all....

·
Registered
224 Posts
I couldn't find a separate thread for Bluetooth issues paired with HTC Sensation. I just purchased my 2013 OB 3.6R last week. (no factory nav, not Limited) I am not technically savvy at all. The dealership paired my phone with my car when I took delivery. I can receive calls through Bluetooth, but have to dial out on my phone. It is not recognizing my voice for commands. When my phone is paired, no turn by turn directions come through the speakers-I can only get turn by turn by using the phone with Bluetooth off. Also, the USB only charges my phone intermittently. SOA has opened a case for me and I will go to dealership tomorrow. They recommend having the system checked for quality and shorts. Will let you know the outcome.
Went to the dealership today. Since my last post, some of the issues have resolved themselves, and the Bluetooth has been working for placing calls with voice, and it is now charging my phone. I think the 2 had to get to know each other through a few resets. The one issue that cannot be overcome is that I cannot get turn by turn voice direction on my phone when the Bluetooth is on. The tech thought it may have something to do with the fact that the car's Bluetooth system is set up for Audio (to play music from your device) and there was no option on the system to change that. I will be checking with Tmobile to see if it is a problem with my phone that won't allow the phone's Bluetooth to be on at the same time as the nav with turn by turn commands. I'm hoping for a work-around. I need both for my job in home health.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Problem solved!

Went to the dealership today. Since my last post, some of the issues have resolved themselves, and the Bluetooth has been working for placing calls with voice, and it is now charging my phone. I think the 2 had to get to know each other through a few resets. The one issue that cannot be overcome is that I cannot get turn by turn voice direction on my phone when the Bluetooth is on. The tech thought it may have something to do with the fact that the car's Bluetooth system is set up for Audio (to play music from your device) and there was no option on the system to change that. I will be checking with Tmobile to see if it is a problem with my phone that won't allow the phone's Bluetooth to be on at the same time as the nav with turn by turn commands. I'm hoping for a work-around. I need both for my job in home health.
My husband found the solution to my inability to hear my phone's navigation turn by turn directions when paired with the car's Bluetooth. Push the CD/AUX button, and the nav plays through the car speakers! You can still receive calls, which sort of play over the nav directions. You cannot play the radio at the same time, but that's fine by me. If I were on a long trip, I could easily push the FM button to hear music, then switch back to the AUX button to hear directions when I need to. The nav stayed on my phone screen when I performed that function. This will work perfectly for my needs, and I far prefer my phone's Google Nav to any automaker Nav.
You would think someone at the dealership or SOA would know this, but I guess so many people use factory Nav or a Garmin-type device that it doesn't come up often. At least the local dealership knows now! Hope this helps someone else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts