Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right folks, if you upgrade to IOS6 and have a device that supports it (iphone4+ i believe) you can get your SMS messages on your radio now.

It was a little finicky to setup, and it didnt work at first, but I finally got my iPhone5/IOS6 and 2013 Lim SAP to alert me, and read out my txt messages if I want now!

The reply does not appear to be working (yet) but now I am at least notified of an SMS, can read and get it spoke out on nav/speakers, and then simply use Siri to respond.

-chris.

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's right folks, if you upgrade to IOS6 and have a device that supports it (iphone4+ i believe) you can get your SMS messages on your radio now.

It was a little finicky to setup, and it didnt work at first, but I finally got my iPhone5/IOS6 and 2013 Lim SAP to alert me, and read out my txt messages if I want now!

The reply does not appear to be working (yet) but now I am at least notified of an SMS, can read and get it spoke out on nav/speakers, and then simply use Siri to respond.

-chris.
If you're phone is already setup via bluetooth what else do you need to do?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The Lumia 900 I had for a while did SMS to the radio via BlueTooth.. I didn't even know it had that feature until I was driving along one day and it chimed in "You have a text message. Would you like for me to read it for you?" I hit the button on the steering wheel, said "yes" and it did.. Then, it gave me an option to reply. The speech-to-text worked pretty well if I stopped the car or was going under about 30 or so. But, it didn't do too well while driving at highway speeds, with all the background noise..

I'm glad to see other phones adding features like this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That. Is. Awesome. Thanks for sharing, it's been a lingering concern of mine but very good to hear that there's compatibility.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you find a way to get an iPhone to upload contacts let me know.
All my contacts are on my radio as well now with Bluetooth MAP enabled in IOS6.

Here is a screen shot of my iphone bluetooth settings for my car multimedia. Perhaps those of you who this isn not working for do not have the "show Notifications" and "Sync Contacts" enabled for the connection?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

Here is a screen shot of my iphone bluetooth settings for my car multimedia. Perhaps those of you who this isn not working for do not have the "show Notifications" and "Sync Contacts" enabled for the connection?
Got an iPhone5 on Friday. I just turned bluetooth on and told the car to connect. Everything is working with default settings. Contacts transfered from phone to car no problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can reply to SMS via car? that part does not work for me, but everything else I posted above does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a regular iphone 4 and it didn't seem to work for me, but that phone doesn't have Siri. I did confirm that the bluetooth audio works for music still. I have read on other car forums that people had theirs stop working after upgrading. Also, in case people hadn't noticed the do not disturb feature, it will block all incoming calls and texts from even registering on the phone (but if someone starts calling repeatedly it still will disable itself, though that can also be turned off).

·
Registered
52 Posts

Not seeing this screen on my iPhone 4s with IOS6.

Must be an iPhone 5 only thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 4s with IOS6 and I found that screen ...

Settings > Bluetooth > Select the Device (mine is CAR MULTIMEDIA)

Once I switched 'Show Notifications' to on ... I was able to have my text messages read to me. Yay!! However ... it would not let me quick reply. When I selected a reply then clicked on 'send', I got a message saying there was an error. Anyone know how to fix this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Once I switched 'Show Notifications' to on ... I was able to have my text messages read to me. Yay!! However ... it would not let me quick reply. When I selected a reply then clicked on 'send', I got a message saying there was an error. Anyone know how to fix this?
nice to know that is the fix. I tried so many things to get mine to work tha I was unsure what finally got it all working :)

Read my first post - that doesnt work for me either. I suspect it wont until another update.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does this change anything with bluetooth music streaming?? Can you browse through menus and lists of music while streaming via bluetooth with an IOS6 phone?

·
Registered
52 Posts

Here's what I see. Any idea on how to make the more robust screen show up?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Interesting, going out to my car to try it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wonder if the success is from those with nav. I've only got the HK audio, no nav. Note the differences above "Car Multi-Media" versus "CAR MULTIMEDIA".

I think I'm still SOL.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
About this Discussion
91 Replies
40 Participants
verwilderd
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing