Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this will be the correct category as most people come here to find information on repairs and how to determine why that annoying light is on. If not, a moderator can move it.

What I would like to have happen here is everyone with smart phone apps that connect to OBDII via a wireless or bluetooth interface to post what they have, how they feel it works and would they recommend it to other members as a viable tool to use in retrieving codes, watching and/or recording data, graphing capabilities, exporting, compatibility with different vehicles, years and models.

If you want to post the cost, do it. A lot of members need to know what options they have.

This could be an excellent reference point. I get a lot of inquiries about this, but I can't check into every option available. Strength in numbers as they say. So post away.

Attached are screen shots generated on my iPhone using Innovate Motorsport's OT-2 interface and the iPhone app. It is a run I did to show someone else how it works. The interface is wireless or hard with a data cable. So it can work either way. The cost was $180 for the interface and the app was free. Information can be viewed on Innovate Motorsports OT-2 - Transform your iPhone or iPod into a wireless gauge, data logger, dyno, efficiency meter and OBDII scan tool.

It is a good tool to have as it has a lot of features.

The first is the graph and pics 2-4 are from a different window giving lapsed times and g-force.

Speed, G force and HP calculations are based on data using the accelerometer built in the phone. On the phone, I can slide a bar to specific areas of the graph for combined info at that point. You will also note that in the upper right corner it gives max speed (up to point the stop button was touched) and 0-60 time. Mine is 8.53 seconds. **** quick for an Outback, heh? :D

Max HP, as logged on the phone was 184. I don't think its correct, but I wasn't logging on my pc at the same time to compare data. I haven't tried Using the OT-2 to connect to two devices at the same time yet. I'll test that when I get the car back from the tranny shop.

Data parameters can be chosen when you connect to the car and can also be graphed in the data logging software. The graphing is what is most helpful. Especially when someone needs to see a waveform. All the graphs can be exported and texted or emailed in .png format.

Attachments

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I recently returned a Kiwi wi-fi OBDII interface. It was set up for use with iPhone, though I imagine it could have been used by other host devices.

The device was $150, and I returned it because I did not like the lack of software support. I had intended to use the device with FuzzyCar, but unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase, FuzzyCar requires the use of Fuzzy's log-gathering website. This website went offline about 2 years ago- meaning the app can't be used. I'm still chasing Apple to get my money back- they have since stopped selling the app, but not yet processed a refund.

I could have used the app Rev, but I've been reading that it hasn't been updated in quite some time and it is expensive at $50 on top of the $150 for the interface. There may be other apps which work properly, but I got frustrated working out which ones were still enjoying maintenance updates from their publishers. I decided it was easier just to return the hardware and look for another alternative.

I'm nervous about a $150-200 tool that could stop working at any time if the software developer loses interest in maintaining the product.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'll give the innovate kit a look!

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
Chill out.

I'm at work and can't get screen shots. I posted the names on the odd chance someone wanted to google them for more info.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
I think this thread to be long overdue. With the leaps and bounds of technology (i.e. ecu modules) many CEL's could be indicators of a wide array of problems. Some even just pop up on the dash and turn out to be nothing.

Many people, visitors and members, use this site to try and diagnose problem(s) that they are experiencing with their Subaru's, I can see that info regarding a diagnostic test with a reliable OBD II scan device help keeps "shadetree" mechanics like me guessing at what is wrong. I have in the past just starting fixing and replacing things untill the CEL goes away. No telling how many working parts I have discarded chasing a ghost. Again, repeating cardoc, if you have experience with a plug-n-play OBD II device for us "weekend warriors" please share your opinion of which one you used, whether positive or negative. Information is always one of the best tools in your toolbox!

Oh, don't forget to make this a sticky Mr.Moderator!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts