Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my iPhone 7 with my Outbackk 2017 flawlessly for the past 8 months. Now I have my iPhone X and I'm having some issues. Without using the phone or audio component of the sound system through bluetooth the phone will constantly connect/disconnect through my ride. If I initiate a call or play some music it stays 'mostly' connected with some digital hits here and there. I've tried resetting my phone's network settings as well as re-pairing. Any ideas? Am I SOL?

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Do a software version sanity check: are your phones both on the same OS version?

Also, unpair/forget the old phone and do a clean pair with the new one.

If you have the means, verify you have identical Bluetooth behavior with other hardware between phones.

Also check that starlink app version is identical between phones.

Maybe starlink has race condition bugs that only become very visible on the faster iPhone X.

·
Registered
2017 3.6 limited Outback
63 Posts
Is it starlink you have trouble with or the bluetooth /phone/music link?

My X works well with the music playing part, have not had any phone calls in yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Or maybe the iPhone X is the problem and not Starlink.
Seems I need to be more precise: the Starlink software that runs on the iPhone may have race conditions causing problems.

Logically, if that’s the case, it’d likely behave the same on an iPhone 8 as well.

Multithreaded software written correctly runs correctly on any device fast enough and with enough resources, but incorrectly written multithreaded software is a bit less reliable on everything :grin2:

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback; tungsten metallic with E/S and every option. I also have a Samsung Note 8 smartphone for trouble-free Bluetooth functionality.
1,367 Posts
I've been using my iPhone 7 with my Outbackk 2017 flawlessly for the past 8 months. Now I have my iPhone X and I'm having some issues. Without using the phone or audio component of the sound system through bluetooth the phone will constantly connect/disconnect through my ride. If I initiate a call or play some music it stays 'mostly' connected with some digital hits here and there. I've tried resetting my phone's network settings as well as re-pairing. Any ideas? Am I SOL?
I suggest upgrading to a better phone. My Note 8 has been flawless with my 3.6.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
218 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Samsung Galaxy S8 and iPhone 8/iPhone X use a new version of Bluetooth. Apparently, this is not related to the OS version but to the hardware/firmware.

https://www.bluetooth.com/specifications/bluetooth-core-specification/bluetooth5

Not sure if this contributes to the issue or not.
Like many computer interface standards, Bluetooth is designed to be backwards-compatible for signaling and relevant details, which, in this case, would be signal strength, as well as timing.

That's not leaving out the possibility of less-than-ideal drivers being involved.

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from :)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
218 Posts
Like many computer interface standards, Bluetooth is designed to be backwards-compatible for signaling and relevant details, which, in this case, would be signal strength, as well as timing.
Design and implementation are two separate things though! :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts