Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 'Base' Outback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up my new Outback on Saturday, and I'm just mulling over how I'm going to connect my 2 prized possessions together

i.e iPod to Outback

I used to use a cassette adapter (not ideal but it worked!) in my old car. But the new OB doesn't have a tape/cassette player, just radio/CD. Anyone know whether it's possible to connect this? Is there like an AUX line-in port at the back of these units??

Any help would be very gratefully received!

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
212 Posts
congrats on the new subaru

I've been looking into this as I'm getting a new subaru soon too.

http://icelink.densionusa.com/

Denison sells an interface for the stock head unit for $199. at this price you might be better off picking up a new head unit that has an aux input.

http://www.blitzsafe.com may have an interface in the works for the subies, but I haven't been able to find a release date.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
What about one of those FM transmitters. I don't know the technical name for them. You plug it into your audio sources headphone/line out and it transmits it to several different radio stations you can tune in on your radio. $20 at Target. I haven't used them, but that's what I would try. No stinking wires or pulling out stereos.

·
Registered
2004 'Base' Outback
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've tried an FM transmitter but finding an unused frequency in New York City is a tricky business. Plus the quality of the sound isn't all that great.

The Denison Icelink looks like a nice solution but they don't have a kit for the Outback yet, so I'll keep checking their site for updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
iPod Connection

I just purchased a 2004 Outback a week ago. After trying several FM transmitters (which all suck), I broke down and bought a new head unit with an AUX in.

http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=11661&AID=10274510&PID=1412752&setflag=1077370407

I was able to easily hide the extra wires under the dash and run them along side of the passenger seat. It's a really clean install. Car Toys helped me with the install and they were able to hook the new unit to the OEM sub and upgraded speaker system.

The AUX line also allows me to hook up the kids DVD player to the sound system for long drives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are my install pictures, I have the iPod setup to mount in two places. But I think I am going to purchase the cup holder adapter for it. The cords I ran under the side dash and along side of the passenger seat. Then I added a head phone extension so I can place the ipod anywhere.

I can also use the aux line for the dvd player (for the kids) during long drives.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i
1 Posts
Has anyone had any luck with an '05 Outback 2.5i and an iPod? I would like to purchase an iPod, but there doesn't seem to be a place to plug it in . Any suggestions?

·
Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
47 Posts
There is going to be a MP3 Player in the 05 VDC Outback, but you can't get that radio in any of the other models. Unfortunate.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Here is a link to an informative Macworld article from their June issue.

http://www.macworld.com/2004/05/secrets/junemobilemac/

Lot's of good info there, personally I'd recommend just buying a new third-party head unit with an Aux-In from Crutchfield.
You could probably sell the brand new Subaru unit on Ebay for a decent amount of $$$.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i Auto (Black)
22 Posts
I took an ipod on a 1200 mile road trip in my other car that does not have an aux in. I bought the "itrip" fm transmitter for $30 and it's definitely worth the money. It works great and doesn't require batteries for anything. Plus, it matches the ipod. Do some research on it, but I feel it was worth the money and puts out pretty good quality music, even over a radio station that's not completely empty. A worthy temporary fix until you can save for the sweet after-market stereo everyone wishes they could have.

·
Registered
05 OBXT Ltd, Atlantic Blue
58 Posts
The i-trip is great, but has definate drawbacks. THe biggest issue I have is that every 30 miles or so, the station gets interference and sounds terrible. This may not be an issue if you live out in very rural areas, but anywhere in the New York tristate area, CT or MA, it happens very often. It is an absolute pain in the butt to change the i-trip station while driving -- you have to go to your playlists, surf through a ton of stations to find the one you want, play the station, pause the i-pod to get the i-trip to recognize the station, then go back to your normal listening music. Its definatly not something that's very possible if your in any sort of traffic. I will say however, that i have tried a couple of FM transmitters, and the i-trip is by far the best as far as sound quality, and its ability to stay tuned to a certain station before getting interference. The other gripe i have about it is that It stores all of its stations as "songs" on the i-pod. so if you like listening to your ipod in full random mode, as I do, then every so often it will play the i-trip station codes, which are 10 second files of loud beeps.. sometimes one of these random files will change the station on my i-trip (even though it's not supposed to), so then I have to go through the whole process of getting my station back. Oddly, even though i have 3000 or so songs on my ipod, the random mode LOVES playing the 50 or so i-trip station files -- quite frustrating.

This may not make sense if you don't have an i-trip.. but I still think the best and easiest way is to use the ipod in a car is through the cassette deck adaptor or an AUX jack.

·
Registered
2012 Ruby Red Outback 3.6 LTD, Nav, BT, iPod/iPhone interface, Sat Radio, etc...thinking of adding the kitchen sink ;)
42 Posts
iPod setup

My iPod setup: new 4th generation 40GB iPod with DLO (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters) TransPod FM (all-in-one DC charger, FM transmitter via dock, and variably adjustable stand, plugged into the cigarette lighter). I can read and adjust my iPod from the driver's seat (caution: I drive like you do!). The FM-via-dock connector supposedly gives a much stronger signal than the headphone jack. The DLO TransPod also comes with a variety of elbow sections to use a multitude of ways, as well as a flex cable charger/adapter, if you prefer to use that. And it really sounds great, too! I bought mine through at my local Apple Store, but it's also available online via http://store.apple.com/

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Karen, Neat set up. So you werent able to find a way to direct connect to the head unit? No aux input accessible anywhere? I am in same boat, and yours is best set up so far.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
05 outback xt 5mt
4 Posts
I used a FM Modulator tapped into the anteanna, with a filter. I didn't do it myself, but its a clean install, right down to the switch above my right foot to turn off the radio. So its a direct connect to 88.5, its works for now. The volume is about half of what a cd puts out, I imagine that is from the filter. Also, when I get near radio towers I get a little bit of static, but I don't lose the signal from my iPod.

Cost was $70 for the modulator and $50 for the installl, plus a 20 for a tip. I still need to go back and see if my installer can get rid of the interference when I am near radio towers.

I'll go take some pics of the install right now to post for ya.
-Blue

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Thanks, Blue, I will see if I can find somebody who knows 05 OBs to give me an antenna input, if I cant find an aux in.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
How about this holder? I don't have an iPod but to me the other ways look very untidy and somewhat fragile. iPod holder

1 - 20 of 26 Posts