Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6r
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the 18' Touring yesterday. Initial impression, the brown leather interior looks substantially better in person than in any of the pics and videos I've seen. Anyway, the car does "recognize" my Ipod, but after a few minutes of a "loading media" message, I get a "no media files can be played" message. I did a reset on my Ipod but same results. BTW, I think it's a 4th gen model. I was thinking maybe the cable was bad but, if it was, then doubtful the car would be able to recognize it's connected. Any suggestions?

For the "thread search" police, this website constantly crashes my computer, both using IE and Chrome. In fact, this is the 2nd time I've had to type this out because of "long running script" and "explorer has to close" that I constantly encounter here, and only here. In other words, having to "search" multiple threads is a laborious and PITA process for me.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
:google:
You a breaking the Law here is your Ticket.

***** Bad Boy ****

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"google" is useless for my specific issue. Called dealer, told to bring it in so service can see what's going on or if something is wrong. Off to a great start !!

·
Registered
2016 3.6 w/ Eyesight
220 Posts
"google" is useless for my specific issue. Called dealer, told to bring it in so service can see what's going on or if something is wrong. Off to a great start !!
I would definitely try a new cable. That the car senses the connection doesn't mean that the data is arriving intact.

·
Registered
118 Posts
FWIW, I had to have the 30-pin connector on my old iPod Classic replaced and after that it works fine on my '17. Prior to that it would show up and charge but not play music.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My original cable was pretty beat up, but always worked fine in my Acura RDX. I did find another IPOD cable in better shape kicking around, same results. I have a brand new one on order that I can try out before my dealer appointment on Thursday. Somewhat annoyed because when you spend close to 40k on a new vehicle it would be nice if everything worked properly. I'm seriously considering looking into a gold + warranty that can be had up to 125k miles, which is where I'll be in ~ 4.5 years. The finance person at my dealership quoted $1900 for that, but I politely declined because I have time to shop around. She did imply that the price will go up the closer I get to 36k but I considered that to be a load of ****. :nerd:

·
Registered
419 Posts
My original cable was pretty beat up, but always worked fine in my Acura RDX. I did find another IPOD cable in better shape kicking around, same results. I have a brand new one on order that I can try out before my dealer appointment on Thursday. Somewhat annoyed because when you spend close to 40k on a new vehicle it would be nice if everything worked properly. I'm seriously considering looking into a gold + warranty that can be had up to 125k miles, which is where I'll be in ~ 4.5 years. The finance person at my dealership quoted $1900 for that, but I politely declined because I have time to shop around. She did imply that the price will go up the closer I get to 36k but I considered that to be a load of ****. :nerd:
Sorry to hear about your browser issues and the site search crashing things. Here's a thread that has extended warranty pricing in it -- I recall several vendors of extended agreements for less than $1900.

I've read a couple of threads recently that mention a "good" USB cable. Is there one or more vendors of good cables? Is the Apple cable good or another brand/vendor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up the 18' Touring yesterday. Initial impression, the brown leather interior looks substantially better in person than in any of the pics and videos I've seen. Anyway, the car does "recognize" my Ipod, but after a few minutes of a "loading media" message, I get a "no media files can be played" message. I did a reset on my Ipod but same results. BTW, I think it's a 4th gen model. I was thinking maybe the cable was bad but, if it was, then doubtful the car would be able to recognize it's connected. Any suggestions?

For the "thread search" police, this website constantly crashes my computer, both using IE and Chrome. In fact, this is the 2nd time I've had to type this out because of "long running script" and "explorer has to close" that I constantly encounter here, and only here. In other words, having to "search" multiple threads is a laborious and PITA process for me.
Did you ever get this resolved? I just bought a 2018 Outback on Friday and am having the exact same issue with my Ipod which worked perfectly fine in my 2010 4runner I traded in....

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
552 Posts
What worked for me

I had to restore and reload music on my iPod Nano. Has worked great since. Only have about an hours worth of music loaded on it though.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? I just bought a 2018 Outback on Friday and am having the exact same issue with my Ipod which worked perfectly fine in my 2010 4runner I traded in....
I would also suggest not loading album art to any iPod you use in a Gen 5 Outback. Some iPods/iPhones/iPads lock up when playing music.

My personal experience is that when someone skips forward to the next song before album art has displayed, some devices completely lock up requiring a special restart button press sequence to basically start it over again.

I do not think the gen 4 nano is one of these devices, but I would suggest no album art on any ipod that causes problems with a gen 5 outback.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. 2018 Touring, iPod classic, 4th or 5th gen. Restored iPod, it works in my wife's Toyota, but "No Playable Media on Device". Did you have any luck?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Outback with same issue

Just got a 2019 Outback Limited. My Gen 5 is iPod is getting the same error. It worked fine in a 2013 Avalon. I tried three different cables I had on hand, and updated firmware on both the iPod and the Car. Anyone have luck? I might ask the dealer for help but thinking they'll be stumped with the Gen 5 being over 10 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts