Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I had an agreed upon car and price through email and they took a deposit over the phone. When the car came on a Thursday they called and asked when I wanted to come in. We set an "appointment" for that Sunday since I was told it wouldn't be as busy and they could get me in and out.

I arrived at 10:00 am and was told they're getting the car ready. OK, should have been ready, but we wait. 45 minutes later I'm told the keys are locked in the car and they won't be able to open it until the next day, Monday. I ask to see to at least to check the color/car. It's buried in the back lot behind 10 other cars with all the paper and plastic and dust still on it...in other words, nobody even looked at it until I showed up that morning.

THEN, IT'S MISSING A ~$1600 OPTION PACKAGE. Clearly, I wouldn't have agreed to the price and put down a deposit for this car. The salesperson's answer, even though I had the email in writing he'd sent, was that he'd made a mistake and must have copied and pasted something from another customer in his haste.

I then ask about the car I want and what they'll do for me? After verbally telling me about $700 more for the $1600 package, he comes back from the sales manager's office with a price $1400 more than we'd agreed upon originally. I had to leave to get our dogs (and out of frustration) but tried contacting both the Internet sales manager and general sales manager the next day...neither one ever replied to my email, or sent an apology or made an effort to set it right. There's more but this should be enough for anyone to know...STAY AWAY!

The sad thing is I'd bought a Forester from them in 2015 (also not a great deal but not bad enough for me to forego the convenience of proximity). Anyway, took me all of 15 minutes when I didn't hear from either "manager" the next day and a few emails to find a MUCH better deal than even the original offer they wouldn't honor and to be treated like a valued and appreciated customer...easily worth an extra 40 minute drive!

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,609 Posts
Try Orange Coast Subaru in the Santa Ana Auto Center. It's across the corner from the VW dealer.

Brand new and a huge dealership. So new that two weeks ago when I sent there for a HU update I was their very first customer in the new place. Manager came to apologize for the dust and Penske people were there also apologized for the dust.

Point is that I spoke with a couple of people there and I except for a couple of people from one dealership and another one, it's all new people eager to make numbers.

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6r w/ ES
44 Posts
Haha. Avoid Irvine Subaru and Puente Hills Subaru at all costs.

I've purchased two WRX's from Subaru Pacific (ask for Jin Choi or Thomas Kruger) under invoice... Also try McKenna since they're also new and probably want to move as much inventory as possible.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
First, I had an agreed upon car and price through email and they took a deposit over the phone. When the car came on a Thursday they called and asked when I wanted to come in. We set an "appointment" for that Sunday since I was told it wouldn't be as busy and they could get me in and out.

I arrived at 10:00 am and was told they're getting the car ready. OK, should have been ready, but we wait. 45 minutes later I'm told the keys are locked in the car and they won't be able to open it until the next day, Monday. I ask to see to at least to check the color/car. It's buried in the back lot behind 10 other cars with all the paper and plastic and dust still on it...in other words, nobody even looked at it until I showed up that morning.

THEN, IT'S MISSING A ~$1600 OPTION PACKAGE. Clearly, I wouldn't have agreed to the price and put down a deposit for this car. The salesperson's answer, even though I had the email in writing he'd sent, was that he'd made a mistake and must have copied and pasted something from another customer in his haste.

I then ask about the car I want and what they'll do for me? After verbally telling me about $700 more for the $1600 package, he comes back from the sales manager's office with a price $1400 more than we'd agreed upon originally. I had to leave to get our dogs (and out of frustration) but tried contacting both the Internet sales manager and general sales manager the next day...neither one ever replied to my email, or sent an apology or made an effort to set it right. There's more but this should be enough for anyone to know...STAY AWAY!

The sad thing is I'd bought a Forester from them in 2015 (also not a great deal but not bad enough for me to forego the convenience of proximity). Anyway, took me all of 15 minutes when I didn't hear from either "manager" the next day and a few emails to find a MUCH better deal than even the original offer they wouldn't honor and to be treated like a valued and appreciated customer...easily worth an extra 40 minute drive!
Just heard that Irvine Subaru has gone out of business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,609 Posts
Just heard that Irvine Subaru has gone out of business.

Source? I just drove past it a few days ago and they were still open. By chance are you thinking of South Coast Subaru on Harbor in Costa Mesa? They were shut down for questionable ethical practices and the assets were purchased by McKenna and reopened on Beach in Huntington Beach. McKenna is not associated in any way with the business practices of South Coast.

Irvine was a small dealership compared to others, in terms of showroom and being able to walk the lot.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Source? I just drove past it a few days ago and they were still open. By chance are you thinking of South Coast Subaru on Harbor in Costa Mesa? They were shut down for questionable ethical practices and the assets were purchased by McKenna and reopened on Beach in Huntington Beach. McKenna is not associated in any way with the business practices of South Coast.

Irvine was a small dealership compared to others, in terms of showroom and being able to walk the lot.
Yep. Maybe you are right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went to Subaru Pacific and worked with Jim Nielsen who I can't say enough good things about...especially after our ordeal at Irvine. Like I said in my original post--definitely worth an extra 40 minute drive. Better pricing and treated as a valued and appreciated customer!

I don't think Irvine is out of business yet but looking at some online review sites it seems everything since November 2016 is highly negative. Maybe an ownership/management change but if the trend continues I doubt they'll survive. I know I'll never be back!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We went to Subaru Pacific and worked with Jim Nielsen who I can't say enough good things about...especially after our ordeal at Irvine. Like I said in my original post--definitely worth an extra 40 minute drive. Better pricing and treated as a valued and appreciated customer!

I don't think Irvine is out of business yet but looking at some online review sites it seems everything since November 2016 is highly negative. Maybe an ownership/management change but if the trend continues I doubt they'll survive. I know I'll never be back!
I can vouch for that. Jim was pretty patient and just fun to work with. :smile2:

·
Registered
2017 OB Limited 3.6r and 2018 OB Limited 2.4i
2 Posts
Not true. I bought a 2018 OB there yesterday. No problems. Worked with Desiree Farey in internet sales. The car was as promised with no issues.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I worked at a Saturn dealer as a late evening customer representative during my summers as a 3rd job for two summers.

I did a little of everything as part of the evening bare bones crew even sold a few cars.

So first off it sounds like you sorta ordered the car exact model color options you wanted which is like the easiest sale you can have come through the door. Your description of the car suggests it was on their lot the whole time and the sales guy spent all of 2minutes checking for basics like color and trim forgetting the actual details like your options that were clearly important to you. Further they didnt even look at the car and probably completely forgot about your appointment given the wrapped car still on the back lot probably had not been moved since itcame off the truck at delivery.

That would basically show that your interweb sales guy did absolutely nothing but waste your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Irvine Subaru. The employee you dealt with in the situation above has not worked for us in over a year and was hired shortly after by Orange Coast Subaru. As a family owned and operated dealership we strive to provide our customers with the best purchasing experience. Welcome to the Subaru family, we hope you're enjoying your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi from Irvine Subaru,

The employee you dealt with in the situation mentioned above does not work at our dealership- he was hired by Orange Coast Subaru. As a family owned and operated dealership we strive to provide our customers with the best car purchasing experience. We hope you're enjoying your new Subaru, welcome to the family!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's a shame they play those games with people. They don't understand that a happy customer will bring more customers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Better choices than McKenna Subaru in SoCal........

Haha. Avoid Irvine Subaru and Puente Hills Subaru at all costs.

I've purchased two WRX's from Subaru Pacific (ask for Jin Choi or Thomas Kruger) under invoice... Also try McKenna since they're also new and probably want to move as much inventory as possible.
I would avoid McKenna at all costs.....They are new and small and probably want to make the most possible money on each car sold....They say the 2019 Ascent is new, in short supply and no one is selling below MSRP.......Well, That is a lie and dealers all over SoCal are selling below MSRP......Sierra, Ocean,Timmons Subaru etc.
I had to contact the GM (Peter Lu)recently and he never returned my email or phone call....,Great customer service there....:frown2:
So many other good dealers around.......,avoid McKenna......

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I would avoid McKenna at all costs.....They are new and small and probably want to make the most possible money on each car sold....They say the 2019 Ascent is new, in short supply and no one is selling below MSRP.......Well, That is a lie and dealers all over SoCal are selling below MSRP......Sierra, Ocean,Timmons Subaru etc.
I had to contact the GM (Peter Lu)recently and he never returned my email or phone call....,Great customer service there....:frown2:
So many other good dealers around.......,avoid McKenna......
So how many Ascents have you bought to substantiate your post?

·
Registered
23 Posts
One....
Read the Ascentforums.com to view many other reports/details on the 2019 Ascent being sold at less than MSRP.....you could probably join that forum and ask them also....They are a friendly group with a generally non aggressive,non hostile demeanor....They would be happy to share their deal details with you..Different markets are different of course....I don’t think SoCal is the prime market for it....but I could very well be wrong.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Better Subaru choices than McKenna around in SoCal....

One....
Are you looking for one or did you buy one already? I guess it depends (obviously,right)on the market as to discounts....Berman in Chicago(?) , Heuberger in Colorado Springs were selling the Ascent at way below MSRP....In SoCal you need to shop around definitely.....McKennas claim that “No One” is selling below MSRP is not honest/factual.
Hope this helps your search for a good deal.Customers need to help each other out when possible,right?:grin2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts