Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback, EJ25 Engine
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil in the rear Diff, car has 103K and finally noticed after draining the it first that I had 85W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil. I had to put it in of course, so do I leave it in or change it for 85W-90. Thoughts? Thank you
Tony

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Just changed the oil in the rear Diff, car has 103K and finally noticed after draining the it first that I had 85W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil. I had to put it in of course, so do I leave it in or change it for 85W-90. Thoughts? Thank you
Tony
It's a bit on the viscous side, but I think it'd be OK. I wasn't paying attention when I bought my fluid and ended up using 75w140 syn in the front. I know it's very common for other applications to switch to a synthetic of that weight. I also imagine that the wrong weight, but clean is better than what was in there. Just change it the next time you are doing maintenance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit on the viscous side, but I think it'd be OK. I wasn't paying attention when I bought my fluid and ended up using 75w140 syn in the front. I know it's very common for other applications to switch to a synthetic of that weight. I also imagine that the wrong weight, but clean is better than what was in there. Just change it the next time you are doing maintenance.
Wonderful, I will leave it for a bit, BTW how do you fill up the front diff, I did not see a fill plug like the rear so I did not drain it. Of course I will go and exchange the 85w-140 for the proper 85W-90. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Wonderful, I will leave it for a bit, BTW how do you fill up the front diff, I did not see a fill plug like the rear so I did not drain it. Of course I will go and exchange the 85w-140 for the proper 85W-90. Thanks for the quick response.
I'm not sure on that model. Mine fills right through the dipstick hole. You should be able to find a PDF of the owners manual (and svc manual,ost likely) that will show you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure on that model. Mine fills right through the dipstick hole. You should be able to find a PDF of the owners manual (and svc manual,ost likely) that will show you.
Thanks, I will look it up, the ALLData site says to fill it through the gauge hole which might mean the dipstick.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
Yes it's much too thick. Even over the road trucks run 75w-90 synthetics now in order to save on fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I say he's ok. If the first number was higher than recommended and or the last number lower, thats when problems will occur.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's not going to cause any wear related problems. But using much thicker lubricants than required in the engine or driveline does reduce fuel efficiency. I see people running 15w-50 in non-turbo Subaru's, which is just nuts if you don't drive in the Sahara Desert.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 subaru forester. I am looking for the 85W gear oil recommended for both rear diff and the manual tranny. Where can I buy that? I can find 85W-xxx but not just plain 85W. Thanks. james wagner [email protected]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dixiebooks,

You can use a 75w-90 synthetic in place of the 85wt. Just make sure it's a GL-5 rated product, which is necessary to properly lubricate the hypoid gears.

TS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts