Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the multiple reasons I chose an OB over the competition was that it's rated to tow 2700 lbs. After looking into the numbers alittle more, i realize the boat weights roughly 3350lbs. Boat is a 2003 20' partybarge and I'm just going off of the weight listed on suntracker's site for a 2018 20' . I don't have any exact specs and the boats in storage right now.

I DO know that the trailer GVWR is 3435, GAWR is 3070, and max load is 2735. Does this mean the trailer alone weights 700 lbs? GVWR-load capacity equals curb weight right? I also know the tongue weight is not enough to make a 2004 Silverado 1500 squat, but I'm not sure if its gonna be under 200 lbs. I'll figure that out when spring comes. Outboard weighs 350 lbs.

Tongue weight aside, would the boat be too much for the car to handle? The boat launch is 1.2 miles from where I store the boat. Road is pretty much level the whole 1.2 miles. Launch ramp has a slight incline...5 degrees maybe? Boat is in water for the season so I only tow it twice a year. The last 2 times I paid a friend to tow it with his chevy, which is completely fine but since I'm installing a hitch, I'm not sure if it'd be a stretch to tow the boat myself and save $75 next year.

Did an estimate for the boat weight and I came to 3050lbs, no fuel (100 lbs per ft + 350 lbs out board + 700 trailer). Hopefully the tongue weight is low.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts
tongue weight on any subaru is only 200lbs,...and a 2700lb max capacity.

tongue weight on something like a half ton 2004 chevy truck is like 500lbs. (depending upon a few variables...I guess).

_____

if just installing a hitch to do this. don't.

when others have asked about such short trips around the neighborhood with 3500# type boats, consensus says it is probably fine.
so long as you pick your times when it is cool and when there is not much traffic. (=keeping engine / trans cool, vs. crawling traffic ...but who would want to tow in traffic except the odd balls going to the Adirondacks through albany on a Friiday afternoon because they "have to do it that time")

_____

alternative: look into renting a pickup for a couple hours on the cheap. (Uhaul, dealership etc etc.)
...maybe look for a nice pickup at a dealer,...and take it for a test drive, ....tell them you want to test how it tows your boat.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I say keep paying your friend with the truck $75.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,322 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts