Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Silly question: I have an '01 Outback with an EJ251 (163K). While driving on Sunday, my daughter had no power over 40 mph and after pulling over and shutting it off for a minute, she got the dreaded rod knock while trying to start it. Now being the type I am, the car simply will not go to an untimely death. Determined to rebuild the engine better, faster, stronger, I'm finding very little upgrade information for the 2.5 SOHC engine. ACL race bearings seem to be the replacements of choice, but they only list them for the 2.5 STI motor. I realize there is a big difference in the heads and all, but do they share the same crankshaft dimensions and such? I am hoping to build as bombproof a N/A engine as practical because I have too much of an emotional attachment, so it will be around awhile.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey Johnny - the STI engines were turbo I know that both the blocks and the heads and many of the internals were very different than the stock non turbo 2.5's. My 01 was at 180K when we sold it zero issues with it ran fantastic! I towed a bunch with it and we lived in HOT big mountains and high speed country where every road trip I saw the temp needle budge from the center spot. Running full synthetic made a big difference in engine temps and seemed to really make the old 2.5 happy. Never had an issue with it other than the weak cooling system.

Make sure you diagnose the issue correctly loss of power could be anything from slipped worn out timing belt due at 105K - to a failed coil - bad wire etc. The knock could be anything also - pulley thats failing or yes a bearing that is spun etc

·
Registered
3 2001 Outbacks, 2 AT, 1 MT. 1 2006 Outback AT, 2000 Outback AT, 2008 Outback Sport MT
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a spun crank rod. :( I pulled the heads this afternoon and the #4 piston has around 5mm of play when you press on it after retracting it while rotating the crank. I'm going to split the case tonight and determine the extent of the damage. Recommendations for replacement bearings? I've read the ACL race bearings are of a high quality, but they don't mention the SOHC engines, although the 16V EJ20, EJ22, EJ25 (and turbo's) are all listed as using the same bearings. Would these fit the "all" EJ25X engines?

JP

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,863 Posts
Yes. Get the crank turned first, then order the bearings to fit. Be sure to have the cams checked thoroughly for any damage. If the crank lost pressure, that means a lack of lubrication to everything else and you will likely find damage elsewhere.

What caused the failure? Lack of oil? Oil pump failure?

Also be sure to have the block cleaned to remove any metal particulates and have all the oil journals in the crank double checked for blockage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked for a used engine, but can't seem to find one around here. The closed I found was 200+ miles away and the bone yard wanted $1900 for it. No deal there. I have other transportation options so time isn't so much a factor.

So the plan is to completely tear it down, hot tank the block halves, turn the crank as needed and rebuild from the ground up, so to speak. The heads are on the list as well.

JP

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Go 3.0 or 2.0 turbo (or 2.5 turbo if you're lucky enough to find one). 3.0 is not a difficult swap, just time-consuming.

Rolled LL Beans can be had for cheap ;-)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, the crank is toast. Took it to a machine shop this morning and there was no hope for it. Did another used engine search today and found one 50 miles away for $1100. The guy on the phone said they had a video of the engine running on youtube. I watched the video and heard the SAME subtle ticking noise mine was making prior to it going ti...er, belly up. Ended up ordering a new crankshaft and connecting rod from my local Subaru dealer and he gave me a reasonable price on them.

Anyway, back to the original question: which bearings? ACL, Cosworth, Clevite, OEM? I'm leaning towards Cosworth because of their anal-retentive R and D. ACL were supposed to be great, but QC issues since bankruptcy? Opinions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts