Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am pondering a future purchase of a Subaru Outback. Right now I am driving a Ford F250 Crewcab diesel and I am looking for something with better mileage for a long commute. The thing is, I would also like to have something that is offroad capable, thus is why I am looking at an Outback.

I am around 6'4" and 290 lbs, so I know it may be a tight squeeze for me or am I wrong? I got in a guys 2.5l Subaru awhile back and it seemed ok for that moment, but my head was pretty close to the roof.

Another thing that bothers me is hearing about the issues with CVT transmissions. Anyone had any issues with theirs and going offroad?

I was looking at the 2020 Outback and it looks nice, but I know these may have some issues to come up; though that may be good since I am not fully ready to purchase one yet.

Am I looking into the right direction? Will the Outback give me the MPGs and offroad capabilities while being dependable? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
OB will give you MPG and some off road capabilities.
OB seats are a bit narrow. If you like the F series seats, you might find the OB seats OK for a short hop but will not enjoy them on a long haul.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hello everyone, I am pondering a future purchase of a Subaru Outback. Right now I am driving a Ford F250 Crewcab diesel and I am looking for something with better mileage for a long commute. The thing is, I would also like to have something that is offroad capable, thus is why I am looking at an Outback.

I am around 6'4" and 290 lbs, so I know it may be a tight squeeze for me or am I wrong? I got in a guys 2.5l Subaru awhile back and it seemed ok for that moment, but my head was pretty close to the roof.

Another thing that bothers me is hearing about the issues with CVT transmissions. Anyone had any issues with theirs and going offroad?

I was looking at the 2020 Outback and it looks nice, but I know these may have some issues to come up; though that may be good since I am not fully ready to purchase one yet.

Am I looking into the right direction? Will the Outback give me the MPGs and offroad capabilities while being dependable? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks
For softroading/overlanding an Outback works very well. Not rock crawling.

This guy uses a last generation (5) outback for overlanding and he talks about his gear and stuff - his is lifted 2 inches I think, and he is over six feet if I recall correctly.

Here's a guy with a 2020 Outback (gen 6) going "off road" but he has zero mods - no lift, stock tires, no skid plates.

One of this board's members is also a youtuber and made this, comparing Gen 3 and Gen 5 outbacks to things like Jeeps and Sierra Z71.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Other vehicles to consider include the new 2020 Honda Passport which is wider (for better or worse) with slightly less ground clearance and less of an off-roadish pedigree compared to Subaru. It has a 9 speed conventional automatic ZF transmission that has had its own issues for better or worse.

Rav4 TRD off-road but it's small.

4-Runner of course, but it's primitive and not well suited to comfortable long distance travel.

There's an all-new 2020 Highlander coming but I don't know much about it yet.

I don't think there's a vehicle that better blends adventure with near-luxury ride and handling for a mainstream price. There's a huge subie off-road community to draw from, lots of aftermarket parts (2020 model not yet but it will come!). I think you're definitely on the right track to consider the Outback as a prime contender. In the end there's such a wide variety of vehicles that I'm sure you'll find something that fits your needs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
For softroading/overlanding an Outback works very well. Not rock crawling.

This guy uses a last generation (5) outback for overlanding and he talks about his gear and stuff - his is lifted 2 inches I think, and he is over six feet if I recall correctly.

Here's a guy with a 2020 Outback (gen 6) going "off road" but he has zero mods - no lift, stock tires, no skid plates.

One of this board's members is also a youtuber and made this, comparing Gen 3 and Gen 5 outbacks to things like Jeeps and Sierra Z71.

so my takeaway is one needs a sproingy Gen3 turbo to bounce over and through stuff.

·
Registered
677 Posts
so my takeaway is one needs a sproingy Gen3 turbo to bounce over and through stuff.
I had a Gen3 turbo (5 speed Legacy Wagon, not a real Outback though). It had Bilsteins on it and was fantastic. I loved it until it was T-boned. By then the closest thing to a turbo wagon was a WRX Hatch, so I got that. Loved it too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no intentions of doing anything extreme with the Subaru. Just enough to tackle muddy roads. I have a 79 Bronco if I want to get down and get dirty...once I can find the keys for it to 🤦🏼‍♂️.

I just need some better fuel mileage for sure.

But i did think about lifting the Outback eventually and getting all terrains, but that will more than likely drop the fuel mileage and the transmission will HATE it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have no intentions of doing anything extreme with the Subaru. Just enough to tackle muddy roads. I have a 79 Bronco if I want to get down and get dirty...once I can find the keys for it to 🤦🏼‍♂️.

But i did think about lifting the Outback eventually and getting all terrains, but that will more than likely drop the fuel mileage and the transmission will HATE it.
K02's are heavy and will make things difficult for the car, but there's a new tire everyone's in love with called the Falken Wildpeak Trail. It's light weight, doesn't affect fuel mileage much, is great on the highway as well as off-road.

I think the Outback will be a perfect fit for you from what you're describing.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
145 Posts
I’m 5’11, 180 lbs, and I sometimes find the headroom lacking in my 2018 OB. We also have a 2010 Forester with far more headroom. If going the Subaru route, perhaps the Forester or Ascent would suit your size better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m 5’11, 180 lbs, and I sometimes find the headroom lacking in my 2018 OB. We also have a 2010 Forester with far more headroom. If going the Subaru route, perhaps the Forester or Ascent would suit your size better.
Doesnt the 2020 have more head room?

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
145 Posts
Doesnt the 2020 have more head room?
I don’t know. I should have mentioned that mine has a sunroof which cuts into your headroom a bit.

Every so often I graze my head on the doorway when getting into the driver’s seat. I drove that Forester for 8 straight years and got too accustomed to massive headroom.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
27 Posts
FWIW, I am about 6' 4" and I don't have any complaints about headroom in my '17. Your best bet will obviously be driving one as much as you can before committing to a purchase. As far as the offroading, Brucey has made several videos demonstrating the capabilities of the Outback (one is linked in SilverOnyx's post, but there are a few others). Just keep in mind that Brucey's Outback is lifted with skid plates.

·
Registered
2000 Outback 5mt & 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
16 Posts
Go take a look at a Forester. My father in-law is 6'4" and had plenty of headroom in the Forester. The Outback was ok for him but he really enjoyed sitting in the Forester. It was also a more upright seating position in the Forester. He has a 2012 F350 so he appreciated the seating as well.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium ES
163 Posts

Thanks
I am 6'7" and as long as there is no sunroof I fit just fine. My BIL is a just a bit wider than I am and no problem fitting in that regard either.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,488 Posts

79 bronco: no keys needed,...skinny handle tea spoon works fine on those old curvy keyed ford locks.

plenty subarus on here are lifted, don't hear anyone saying it gave them CVT trouble., they all should get their fluid changed,... just like a plain old auto trans.

The real off roaders seem to have ATs on their own rims, and swap them on before they venture out. (keeps those tires from wearing on the hot pavement).
@Brucey can link his video on what his CVT does off road, with BFG KO2 in a last gen 6 cylinder outback.

(the end of the 5EAT 6 cyclinders came in north american spec 2014, if you were actually looking for great used,...rare ones in 2013-14 had eyesight. known in the used car world as "adaptive cruise control",....very handy on any commute )

I am a old schooler though with my subarus, 2x2002 today, and at least one has been under my butt since 1983.
I run studded snows on at least one of my subarus, on their own rims. as every day where I live in upstate NY is morning ice / slush, and maybe some crap driveway thrown in randomly.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
629 Posts
K02's are heavy and will make things difficult for the car, but there's a new tire everyone's in love with called the Falken Wildpeak Trail. It's light weight, doesn't affect fuel mileage much, is great on the highway as well as off-road.

I think the Outback will be a perfect fit for you from what you're describing.
Solution is simple DO NOT BUY an anemic 2.5L 4cyl buy the 3.6L 6cyl. Problem solved, my car runs just fine with the BFG KO2's and I have the added benefit that KO2's are almost bulletproof.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Solution is simple DO NOT BUY an anemic 2.5L 4cyl buy the 3.6L 6cyl. Problem solved, my car runs just fine with the BFG KO2's and I have the added benefit that KO2's are almost bulletproof.
The person I was responding to was thinking about gas mileage but also wanting a better all-terrain tire for primarily highway use and the occasional muddy road, nothing extreme. The Falken Wildpeak Trail is optimized for that situation.

He has a Bronco for the hard stuff and the KO2's are optimized for that situation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts