Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5
19 Posts
Hello everyone, I am pondering a future purchase of a Subaru Outback. Right now I am driving a Ford F250 Crewcab diesel and I am looking for something with better mileage for a long commute. The thing is, I would also like to have something that is offroad capable, thus is why I am looking at an Outback.

I am around 6'4" and 290 lbs, so I know it may be a tight squeeze for me or am I wrong? I got in a guys 2.5l Subaru awhile back and it seemed ok for that moment, but my head was pretty close to the roof.

Another thing that bothers me is hearing about the issues with CVT transmissions. Anyone had any issues with theirs and going offroad?

I was looking at the 2020 Outback and it looks nice, but I know these may have some issues to come up; though that may be good since I am not fully ready to purchase one yet.

Am I looking into the right direction? Will the Outback give me the MPGs and offroad capabilities while being dependable? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks
My wife is 6'3" and fits in our 2016 OB with no issues. You have above 120 pounds on her, but height-wise, you're fine. I went from a Tacoma to the OB and the OB does everything you could ever want off-road. Unless you're taking that bigass F250 in some weird places, the OB will do everything you're doing in the Ford. There's nothing else that offers the off-road capabilities of the OB that is basically a car. Nothing.

·
Registered
2015 Outback
5 Posts
Hello everyone, I am pondering a future purchase of a Subaru Outback. Right now I am driving a Ford F250 Crewcab diesel and I am looking for something with better mileage for a long commute. The thing is, I would also like to have something that is offroad capable, thus is why I am looking at an Outback.

I am around 6'4" and 290 lbs, so I know it may be a tight squeeze for me or am I wrong? I got in a guys 2.5l Subaru awhile back and it seemed ok for that moment, but my head was pretty close to the roof.

Another thing that bothers me is hearing about the issues with CVT transmissions. Anyone had any issues with theirs and going offroad?

I was looking at the 2020 Outback and it looks nice, but I know these may have some issues to come up; though that may be good since I am not fully ready to purchase one yet.

Am I looking into the right direction? Will the Outback give me the MPGs and offroad capabilities while being dependable? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks
The opinion expressed to my wife while driving on remote dirt roads in Utah is that there's not a better car for these roads - 2015 Outback with what I've been told is a more rugged CVT than other brands who chose less capable units. Twisted wrenches for many years and the CVT made me nervous but willing to trust Sub. Only owned for abit over a year but it's been flawless with less than 50K on it. It will never match the clearance of a huge truck but there are skid plates not to be abused. With a power seat you'll be able to drop it to accommodate your height and you'll find it less tiring to drive though you may require a custom seat. I give it 5 stars. Skierbob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, it will be awhile before I may can purchase one. But just trying to investigate and see what would be best. I need better fuel mileage for sure. I was debating about a Crosstrek since it has a stick shift, but everyone says those engines in them are weak.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well, it will be awhile before I may can purchase one. But just trying to investigate and see what would be best. I need better fuel mileage for sure. I was debating about a Crosstrek since it has a stick shift, but everyone says those engines in them are weak.
Have you test driven the Crosstrek with a stick? I drove a loaner 2019 crosstrek CVT and it seemed fine for daily driving and I would imagine the stick is better, but the CVT models do have torque converters so off-the-line you do have torque multiplication.

The naturally aspirated Forester is supposed to be faster than the Crosstrek but I haven't driven them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Have you test driven the Crosstrek with a stick? I drove a loaner 2019 crosstrek CVT and it seemed fine for daily driving and I would imagine the stick is better, but the CVT models do have torque converters so off-the-line you do have torque multiplication.

The naturally aspirated Forester is supposed to be faster than the Crosstrek but I haven't driven them.
I have not. I was going against the Crosstrek at one point because I was in a relationship which came with kids, but I am no longer in that relationship and am a single man with no kids, so my options can be smaller BUT sometimes bigger is better.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have not. I was going against the Crosstrek at one point because I was in a relationship which came with kids, but I am no longer in that relationship and am a single man with no kids, so my options can be smaller BUT sometimes bigger is better.
I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised at how decent a Crosstrek stick is. Please test drive it and let us know how it went. I'm curious since I've not driven the manual one.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,488 Posts
Crosstrek = useless for someone of your stature. subaru seems to only sell them to people that are not smart enough test drive anything else on the lot. I think if I actually wanted one I would buy a impreza hatch and build my own than take the choice and price of the parts they toss together to make the crosstreks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Crosstrek = useless for someone of your stature. subaru seems to only sell them to people that are not smart enough test drive anything else on the lot. I think if I actually wanted one I would buy a impreza hatch and build my own than take the choice and price of the parts they toss together to make the crosstreks.
Yes, the Crosstrek is just a lifted Impreza hatch with cladding, but it also is made in Japan (if that matters) and has a 6 speed manual instead of 5 speed. The manual transmission ones don't have X-mode, but you don't need that if you have a stick. You are your own x-mode in that case.

There's a reason it outsells the Impreza many times over, and it's not just consumer stupidity. By the time you do whatever it takes to lift your Impreza, new shocks, springs, whatever else is involved, you've invalidated parts of your warranty and you'll end up having spent as much as if you just bought the crosstrek.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited
13 Posts
I am 6 '6, 245. Good fit for me. Went from a '08 Yukon to a '17 OB Limited with sunroof...also a 2.5 L. I bought it for the reliability, MPG with the 2.5 L, and on and off road capabilities. I do not have any reservations about the CVT. You can always buy an extended warranty from Subaru to take your coverage out to 120,000 miles. Just make sure you get the plan backed by Subaru, known as Subaru Added Security Gold Plus. That way your are covered on more than just the CVT, with only a $100 deductible.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight, "Wilderness Green Metallic"
549 Posts
Going back to the title of this thread -- "Is a Subaru what I need?"

We didn't NEED an Outback, but we sure wanted one. Honestly, an FWD model would have been just fine for us. It's turned out to be a great car. We've had the car one year and almost 27,000 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
143 Posts
I have both a 2020 Outback and a 2019 Forester in my garage. For interior space, I like the Forester. Much more headroom and more comfortable seats. The cargo space is taller and the hatch is wider. For off-road driving, the Forester has better approach and departure angles, so your are less likely to hangup on the bumpers.
The Outback has more legroom in the back seat and a slightly longer cargo bed. We average 29 MPG in both vehicles

21 - 32 of 32 Posts