Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new 2019 outback owner, I recently purchased a Yakima Skyline roof rack system, I was not aware that there were factory bars that came standard (I know pretty dumb). I installed the system and I do like the look of it on the car.

Where I a struggling, now that I realize there are factory crossbars, is there any real benefit to having the Yakima system? Do people dislike the factory system? Do you think I am better off for having the yakima system in any way(noise, load capacity, etc.)?

My long term concern is when I put a lift on the car of 2 inches, i will have hardly any clearance in my garage. I suppose at that point I could sell the system and use the factory cross bars at that point. Curious to hear your thoughts.

thanks,
MB

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
414 Posts
An aftermarket crossbar is going to be about 4 inches added to the vehicle height as compared to the stock crossbar.

The stock crossbar gives you about 39” of width, vs a typical Yak or Thule cross bar width of 50”, thus you can put more crap on an aftermarket, your call as to how useful that is.

I use a Yakima system as I don’t like the angled design to the stock bars that has bikes mounted on trays, leaning towards the outside of the vehicle. My bike trays are the type where the F wheel clamps, as opposed to newer designs that grab the in place front wheel. That design, such as the Yak FrontLoader likely would better support a bike mounted on a slight angle.

Wider bars have uses, do you use a canoe ?, would be a tight fit on a 39” wide bar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An aftermarket crossbar is going to be about 4 inches added to the vehicle height as compared to the stock crossbar.

The stock crossbar gives you about 39” of width, vs a typical Yak or Thule cross bar width of 50”, thus you can put more crap on an aftermarket, your call as to how useful that is.

I use a Yakima system as I don’t like the angled design to the stock bars that has bikes mounted on trays, leaning towards the outside of the vehicle. My bike trays are the type where the F wheel clamps, as opposed to newer designs that grab the in place front wheel. That design, such as the Yak FrontLoader likely would better support a bike mounted on a slight angle.

Wider bars have uses, do you use a canoe ?, would be a tight fit on a 39” wide bar. View attachment 476280
thanksthat is helpful. I really didn’t even think about the extra 11 inches I’ll get in width using the system. I also have 50 in. Bars. I like the flexibility that comes with for bigger items I may want to haul on the rack.

I just did the math on my garage and even if I lift you car 2 in. and put a cargo basket on it which has a 7 in height I’d still clear my garage by 3 inches or so.

it looks pretty **** clean and it’s relatively short money, I suppose I could also sell in the future if I had to.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
685 Posts
Yakima is stronger more solid mount especially if you are ever going to mount a roof top tent. I actually went with 55” HD bars on my 2019 Outback.

That said I hate the added height and that you are limited to using only the front two crossbar slots. Yakima, there had to be a better way to do this. However, between Yakima and Thuke Yakima is clear winner.

·
Registered
Green 2020 Touring XT Outback
57 Posts
The added height might give you more clearance for long skis on the hatch, too. So you don’t have to put them in tips to the front or risk scratching your hitch. Idk if this is an issue still waiting to take delivery of mine, but it is an issue with the factory bars on the Equinox my Outback is replacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts