Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback AWD Manual, 2.5i Limited SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a minor(ish) head gasket leak on my ‘06 Outback. I probably add 1.0 qt every 2-3 weeks. I drive 300+ miles a week. Is stop leak a bad idea? I’ve heard it can gunk up everything, not only the leaks.

I am leaning toward just dealing with adding oil for a bit longer until the time comes to do the head gasket replacement proper.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
262 Posts
I think you've answered your own question. Do you want to clog up the oil ports supplying oil to your engine components?
Adding something to stop a leak is like adding another smell to get rid of a stink...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Outback H6.30 35 anniversary edition
200 Posts
Head gasket leak manifests in oil mixing with coolant. If you have to add oil it either leaks (so you see it in your driveway) or burns , so you have black smoke. If it burns it is piston rings. If you have serious white smoke coming out of tail pipe when starting cold , that means HG is a toast.

·
Registered
Looking....and looking....and looking...and found! 2011 Outback 2.5i, 6-speed manual.
48 Posts
Bad idea? Yes, unless you are just trying to forestall a full rebuild for a short time.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,519 Posts
I doubt your oil use of 1 quart every 2 to 3 weeks is from a head gasket leak.

Subaru head gasket failures typically “weep” (not leak) coolant or oil to the outside of the engine (not into the combustion chamber to be burnt) and coolant or oil loss is very low, certainly not anything like 1 quart every 2 to 3 weeks.

Adding a “stop leak” product to the oil typically softens and swells any rubber seals (it does not typically fix a head gasket failure).

Seagrass

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Head gasket in a bottle is usually not a good idea.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
438 Posts
I think you've answered your own question. Do you want to clog up the oil ports supplying oil to your engine components?
Adding something to stop a leak is like adding another smell to get rid of a stink...
Yeh, Pinesole is a bathroom is like somone poped under a pine tree

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback AWD Manual, 2.5i Limited SOHC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt your oil use of 1 quart every 2 to 3 weeks is from a head gasket leak.

Subaru head gasket failures typically “weep” (not leak) coolant or oil to the outside of the engine (not into the combustion chamber to be burnt) and coolant or oil loss is very low, certainly not anything like 1 quart every 2 to 3 weeks.
I had the leak diagnosed by a shop as early signs of a head gasket failure but nothing to be worried about right now. Maybe I should get a second opinion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts