Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always have a Volt Oil Press and Tranny Temp gauge on my roos, Blu2 no exception (Justy has Oil Press, Oil Temp and Volt). However Blu2 has been a pod challenge. I did not like anything available commercially due to the quality or the cost. With the side airbag A pillar was out. I have seen some dual gauge setups, but i like the nook with the door on the dash, and the ashtray can only hold two gauges not three.

I used to do fabrication for a living, so I did what I do best. I took a 2" inch gauge and went to Home Depot and Lowes, and had other online stores (mcMaster Carr and Graingers on my list). I went for inspiration.

Then i saw it, PCV pipe.

Easy to work with, forgiving and cheap. a 2" gauge fits snuggly into the 2" pipe.

I cut three 2" long pipes (my cuts were sloppy using a miter box). I used a dremel on a very low speed to clean the sloppy cuts. A dremel at the lowest speed stalls in the plastic which makes for great control.

I then glued them together using PVC glue. It was a decent bond, but I wanted to reinforce it. So i cut another peice 1" wide and cut that in half.

IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x234/nipper-dawg/IMAG0294.jpg[/IMG]

I glued the "feet" on and it made a stable platform.

I trimmed 4/10ths of an inch of them after it all dried

I stuck the longer tube in the center since my tools at hand did not allow me to clean up the slight diference.

here is the semi finished product

And back

All i have to do next is to modify the feet to match the curve of the dash so they sit at the right angle. After that I will paint it. I researched it on the web and PCV is paintable. I will probably attach them to the dash the same way I did in the Justy, with automotive grade velcro. This will allow me to get to my inspection stickers, clean the winsheild, and remove the gauges at will.

In all honesty that is all I could come up with right now, maybe i will do something else, not sure yet.

Not bad for 8 bucks in material. Also since the 2005 Dash does a lot with circles, it will match the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that leaves the house with a project in mind and inspiration strikes while walking the isles.

Nice job! Now show us it installed , when you get there. ;)

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will once the weather warms up a little bit so I can paint it.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Nice innovation. Looking forward to seeing in place -- my 07 has essentially the same dash.

I presume the oil pressure and tranny temp gauges have electronic sensors. How/where are you connecting these?

(Will you be updating your UserCP car info at the left?)

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Then i saw it, PCV pipe.
Thanks for sharing this! This is something that could be done to countless applications. I wonder if you could notch the backside of the pods where they adjoin one another and add what i would call in woodworking a biscuit?

James

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
I'd call it an "artistic gauge pod", I think.

And the overall concept is interesting because of its flexibility. If you don't like stuff on the dash, maybe the three tubes could be angled to sort of drape over the steering column (yeah, blocking the instrument cluster a bit) or, in a line, attached to the overhead map-light module somehow.

Very cool! HPH

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what i like about it. It is simple, looks good, and extreemly flexable and to correct a mistake costs minimal in material.

I tried several places to mount it, but on the 2005 there arent many choices. I even tried above the mirror but did not like it.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The gauges came with hoods that just made finishing the pod itself much easier

Sandy has wiped out my lifetime "odds and ends" collection so i had to source from ebay. Will be a week or so before i update this again.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,320 Posts
They look good. I had thought about using PVC when I was having trouble locating an A pillar set up that would fit, but still could not configure where I would mount it. I eventually found one for an Impreza that worked, fit right over my pillar with a little trimming.

Have you figured out where to mount it?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but im not telling anyone yet :p . However it being plastic it was easy to shape to sit where i want it properly.

·
Registered
2006 Atlantic Blue OBXT Limited 5MT
27 Posts
I have an '06 OBXT, I'm looking to add some gauges this spring. Any chance you want to post a finished picture of them in your outback?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is on hold due to all this white stuff laying around :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts