Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2012 Outback with 176k miles has had a rear driveline hum for a long time but never shows any sign of play in the rear wheel bearings. There are no vibrations or other detectable problems other than the hum that gets progressively louder with speed. Is it possible that the hubs are had but never get any noticeable play in them?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
28,368 Posts
when was the last time the front and rear differential lubes were drained and replaced. ?
(in miles and years)

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Camellia Red Metallic + 2001 2.5 VDC
484 Posts
Certainly...
The Honda CRV my son now runs, suffered just this for about 2 years before any play became noticeable. That was 6 or 7 years ago.. it's just recently developed that similar grumble with no detectable play, which has developed over the last 3-4 months, so will be into fixing this shortly.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,415 Posts
Absolutely!

I have had two left hand rear wheel bearings fail, one in a Forester and one in an Impreza both at 180,000 miles. They were very noisy and had no play.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
10,641 Posts
I once heard a rear bearing absolutely howling, but with no discernible play in it when I jacked it up and tried to confirm which one it was. This was my wife's Prius, not my Outback, which (knock on wood) is still on its original bearings at 155k miles.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,494 Posts
Both my 2013 rear bearings went out at about 103,000 miles. I took it in for an oil change and asked about a slight noise, thinking it might be a bearing. Turns out both rears were worn out, severely, but had no play. Also had no noise. The sound was coming from the CVT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2012 Outback with 176k miles has had a rear driveline hum for a long time but never shows any sign of play in the rear wheel bearings. There are no vibrations or other detectable problems other than the hum that gets progressively louder with speed. Is it possible that the hubs are had but never get any noticeable play in them?
Absolutely. I have replaced 4 pairs of these and all of them started as a quiet hum. Then went to loud screatch/grind at failure. Once the hubs were out the bearings were frozen and tight. Had we driven them more maybe they would have come apart but the noise and the drag is so severe you don't need the stethoscope to figure out the problem. big hammer and high quality parts and your back to smooth Subaru nirvana.

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium (sold Jan 22)
4,415 Posts
Catastrophic failures can be “fun”.

2006 Forester rear left bearing, 180,000 miles. All other wheel bearings still going strong at 240,000 miles.

Seagrass

Gas Circle Auto part Tints and shades Automotive tire

Reactions: Flood1913

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i
3,064 Posts
Catastrophic failures can be “fun”.
Yeah, the only wheel bearing I've lost went that way (in an Infiniti). Sounded like a shot glass in a garbage disposal.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,454 Posts
Had to replace the left rear wheel hub in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 last week at 83,100 miles. Not because the bearings failed, but because the wheel speed sensor failed which triggered the associated ABS codes and lit up the dashboard like a Christmas tree. The rear wheel speed sensors in this vehicle are part of the hub assembly and cannot be replaced separately. What a stupid design.

·
Registered
2010 Suburu Outback 3.6R
10 Posts
Yes, is the answer. I have an '09 outback 3.6R. I have had the rear wheel bearings replaced twice for a hum. they seem to last around 85K miles. The first time I had them replaced with OEM Subie bearings (well, realy the whole hub). The second time I had them replaced with Timkens. No sign of play either time - perhaps I just got to them soon enough. The sooner the better if for no other reason then the hum is annoying.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
461 Posts
Had to replace the left rear wheel hub in my wife's 2015 Lexus RX350 last week at 83,100 miles. Not because the bearings failed, but because the wheel speed sensor failed which triggered the associated ABS codes and lit up the dashboard like a Christmas tree. The rear wheel speed sensors in this vehicle are part of the hub assembly and cannot be replaced separately. What a stupid design.
The speed sensor is not integrated into the hub.
The speed sensor is a hall effect sensor, and the hub does have magnets on it to trigger it... But there is no sensor in the hub itself.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,454 Posts
^^ Which vehicle are you referring to, a Subaru or a Lexus? I was referring to my wife's Lexus and yes, the sensor is indeed part of the hub assembly in that vehicle and cannot be replaced separately.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
461 Posts
^^ Which vehicle are you referring to, a Subaru or a Lexus? I was referring to my wife's Lexus and yes, the sensor is indeed part of the hub assembly in that vehicle and cannot be replaced separately.
Both.
The resolution is different but they operate the same way.
You can even look up the part yourself online right now and you'll see a picture of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wound a rear hub sound go away when braking?
I have a high pitched squeal from the rear. I have had the brake pad sound when the metal tab drags and this is higher pitched.
Or is the hub more of a crunching sound?
I did the rear brake pads myself not that long ago but I heard these cars go through rear pads quickly.
2013 with 93k miles

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,454 Posts
MrDude,

You are referring to the Lexus RX350 AWD model which indeed does have replaceable rear wheel speed sensors. Unfortunately, my wife's RX350 is the FWD version. Those models do NOT have replaceable rear wheel speed sensors so you must replace the hub assembly when the sensor fails. Fortunately, both versions do have replaceable front wheel speed sensors.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts