Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Outback that I purchased new in 2017. I've always thought the ride was a little rough. My wife and I also just recently purchased a new 2020 Outback and the ride is extremely smooth compared to my 2017. What can be done to make my 2017 smoother?

Thanks

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,566 Posts
I would suspect new and better quality tires. Older tires also get stiff and feel like they are made of concrete. :)

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
723 Posts
Tires are a good suggestion, make sure you are not over inflated too.

But of course, each year they make small changes and usually ride nicer and quieter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5i
189 Posts
I have a 2017 Outback that I purchased new in 2017. I've always thought the ride was a little rough. My wife and I also just recently purchased a new 2020 Outback and the ride is extremely smooth compared to my 2017. What can be done to make my 2017 smoother?

Thanks
2020 was a complete redesign especially affecting ride quality based on the global platform. Tires is a start, and that's probably about it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,543 Posts
This may be counter-intuitive but soft shocks can give a rough ride, from a lack of control of the tire/wheel's rebound. Bilstein B4 shocks and struts will probably give you a smoother ride with the stock springs. At 28k miles your stock shocks should be fine though, but in my 2005 Legacy GT I had a blown rear shock at about that kind of mileage, so you may want to check your shocks for signs of leakage and bounce the car to see if the shocks are dampening rebound.

I put Bilstein HD shocks in the Legacy and it felt like a completely new car - in a good way.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Limited
71 Posts
Try progressive springs. The 2020 has different control arms and progressive springs. Tires and shocks will help but progressive springs will make the most difference. Find a wrecked 2020 and pull them off of that.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
251 Posts
I agree with the different tires. When I changed my tires on my 2013 the ride got harder. 20-20 hindsight I got a different model tire, but the same brand . Something like an GT/ST. Not only was the ride harder, the road noise was louder.

The ride on my 2020 is much smoother. So now was it the suspension redesign or the tires. It had to be a little of each, since the 2020 tires are a lower profile, the suspension may have helped some.

Sooooo, since you probable do not want to modify the suspension, I say look at the tires. A good place to start is TireRack.com They have a search tool, that will give tire attributes. After the search comes back, mouse over the reviews and see what looks smooth and quiet. I think this may start you off on the right foot (tire) Tire search for 2017 Outback.

Good Luck

OH PS, there is a COMPARE tool, so you can compare potential candidates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts