Subaru Outback Forums banner

Is it worth is it to xt engine swap a 2008 na 5mt outback (Would you want to pull an xt engine from a junkyard?)

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  bheinen74 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I have a good running engine with 160k on it an one headgasket already replaced so this is mainly theoretical. My question is about the best way to obtain an xt (turbo) engine of this same generation. Just say my engine blows, would it be better to get an xt engine from a junkyard, or would you want to maybe get a used xt, pull the engine, and then sell it. I'm looking for the most reliable option.

My second question is how compatible is the xt engine with an na gen 3? Are there certain things that would deter someone from doing this swap?

And also would you have to pull a tranny with the xt engine to replace the stock tranny or are these two transmissions for the gen three the same.

#5 ·
Any sane person that knows these cars will tell you to just buy a running XT or Legacy GT and sell your car. It's much easier and cheaper in the long run.

That sane person would also tell you that in most cases a junkyard engine in these cars is a big risk.

I have become a poster child over on www.legacygt.com for how to do it right the first time on my 2005 GT wagon. I bought a new ej257 short block, had my heads rebuilt, new oil pump, a few other things. That was 136,000 trouble free miles ago.

Reactions: TheLonat
#6 ·
To answer your transmission question, no you cannot use your standard transmission with a turbo engine. The transmissions in turbo vehicles are high torque models and the transmission control unit (if you have an auto) is also different.

I also suggest that you simply sell the vehicle you have and purchase a turbo vehicle if a turbo vehicle is your preference. This would be far less stress and cost far less money.

Seagrass

Reactions: TheLonat and dryvby
#7 ·
The simple answer is no: do NOT get a junkyard XT motor and then attempt to swap your NA car.

1: Unless it's a clear wreck, it's likely in the junkyard due to the motor. And if it's not $2k+, it's likely junk.

2. There are WAY too many things to change to make it a financially, labor, or realistic project. If you really want to put a turbocharger on your OB, you're better-off going the "NA-T" route. The general steps and methods are pretty well outlined on the rs25.com forums.

#9 ·
why don't you sell your car to someplace / someone that wants it,

and buy a XT, (like even a dead one for $1500, and put a crate engine in it). that way you start out with all the parts and electronics and wires, vs. pie in the sky ideas = $$$$$$ (in time / frustration).

#10 ·
this will not end well.
advice given, sell yours, then buy a Spec B
You should be able to buy a spec B for around 10-12k now a days, and that will give you your Power you want, a nicely refined and proven lower stance, and it will hold its value. Thats the ONLY sensible way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.