Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really love the look of the new touring trim, but that java brown leather interior looks like it might be hot for Texas weather.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring Black
272 Posts
I don't find it any hotter than other interior colors I have had and the exterior color of my Touring is black. I live next door in South Louisiana, so I know hot.

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts
I really love the look of the new touring trim, but that java brown leather interior looks like it might be hot for Texas weather.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
It's quite simple. Go to the dealer and find a black car next to a white or tungsten color car and put your hand on each car then decide on interior color

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea! When they brought out the Java Brown, it seemed hot - but I wasn't sure if it was only because of the lack of window tint. I should have checked out what the Ivory felt like in a similar car that day!!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,225 Posts
Come on...

Any color leather is Texas is gonna be hot. It looks great, forget the rest.

·
Registered
19 OB 3.6 Limited NAV, Pkg 2, Remote Start
145 Posts
Here in Utah I haven't noticed any heat issues with the Java Brown interior and it looks great.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
We've had several days of triple digit temps in the teens. Our truck w/light tan cloth was hotter. Remote start was amazing pre-cooling before entry. Black steering wheel is another story. Windshield shade or something covering the wheel is a must.

·
Registered
considering buying Outback
82 Posts
We've had several days of triple digit temps in the teens. Our truck w/light tan cloth was hotter. Remote start was amazing pre-cooling before entry. Black steering wheel is another story. Windshield shade or something covering the wheel is a must.
Heard of a car cover? Solves all problems heat , tree sap, door ding , someone keying the car , dirt, faded paint and headlights
One minute on to take off 15 seconds off

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5i
48 Posts
Get the front windows tinted. Not to dark, but make sure you get ceramic tint. It has cut down the heat tremendously in my Forester Touring.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
97 Posts
Get the front windows tinted. Not to dark, but make sure you get ceramic tint. It has cut down the heat tremendously in my Forester Touring.
X2, Tinting the front side windows really makes a difference. I also leave the sunroof in the closed but venting condition.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Heard of a car cover? Solves all problems heat , tree sap, door ding , someone keying the car , dirt, faded paint and headlights
Mine is a garage queen. Dealer gave me a Subaru car cover and tote when I bought my Touring. It's still in the box. If I worked I might consider it but when running around, for me, it's more trouble than it's worth. Just one more thing taking up valuable limited space in the back.

Car covers around here are very rare. Can't remember the last time I saw one outside. Most I see are covering cars inside garages so people can stack more useless stuff on them.:wink2:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wonder if the whole dark vs light interior burning your posterior is a hold-over from the vinyl days. I can remember clearly as a kid coming back from the beach or pool, getting into our poop colored Chevy Malibu wagon (total POS - last American car we ever had) with its dark brown vinyl interior and just roasting. Dad would never put on the A/C - "it wastes gas!" He would open the doors for 30 seconds and then pile everyone in and we would sit on our towels or try and keep our legs off the lava-hot seats as we idled in line to leave the parking lot. This is 30 something years ago and I can remember it clearly.
To this day he warns me "you have to buy cars with light colored interiors for the summer!"
I hate light interiors. Every car I have purchased (other than a hand-me-down 4Runner I bought off dad, with a light tan cloth interior) has had black leather or black leather with dark gray Alcantara inserts. All have been perforated. Even when I park it on the roof of our building in 90+ degree heat in full sun and wear shorts I have never felt uncomfortable, the leather stays cool to the touch.
And to this day, when I get in the car I roll the windows down and blast the A/C until I'm comfortable enough to either turn it off or roll the windows up. Dad would not approve.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
Honestly if you live somewhere warm enough to worry about hot seats spend a few more bucks on a good tint and don't look back!

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
The external paint color is a bigger factor of heat attraction. I have had BLACK leather seats in this car and prior cars in Sacramento, where it often gets to 110F in the summer. The black leather seats are never really a thought actually.

My wife drives a car with light grey leather. It seems like her seats get hotter actually. I think it is because her seats have no preforation in the leather.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
That sounds like a good idea if I am going to be parked for awhile. But if I am doing the normal grabbing something to eat or quick store run, I know for sure I would not go through the hassle. I barely want to use my windshield shade, even though it does make a big difference.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The seats didn't seem hot to me when we had warm days in the late summer and early in the fall. The AC is great (cools quickly) and the auto climate system (which I'd not had before) does it all for you once it's set.

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
Exterior color makes a huge difference. Tinting the front side windows even just a slight tint can really help without impacting night time visibility.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts