Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a few "quirks" and I want to know if they are "normal".

Do gen 2 Outback models have an illuminated hazard light switch?
Mine is dark all the time, head lights on or off, hazard lights on or off no illumination.

Does the seatbelt (re)minder do anything besides illuminate a seatbelt symbol in cluster momentarily after startup?
Mine is only on for a few seconds and then turns off whether or not I buckle up, it always does the same thing. No chirping either.

Is there a steering wheel lock? You know when your key is off and out of ignition the steering wheel locks in place to prevent wheel spinning/theft deterrent. Mine will spin and spin either direction I please without keys in.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
Some hazard lights are backlit on headlamp position.

my seatbelt chime is the same as the key in chime.

both of my wagons will steer lock on a full left turn.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
My hazard switches are not illuminated. That said, Kaylee was 5 and Mal was 14 when I acquired them, dunno if they were ever lit.

Think the reminder chime can be altered, but no it doesn't really do anything other than light up and/or chime.

My steering wheels typically lock when in park and key is removed.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,246 Posts
Yes, your car is weird - it's a Subaru, after all.

Which is why I now have three of them! :)

·
Registered
18,284 Posts
My car has a few "quirks" and I want to know if they are "normal".

Do gen 2 Outback models have an illuminated hazard light switch?
Mine is dark all the time, head lights on or off, hazard lights on or off no illumination.
Yes, your 2001 Hazard switch has a bulb inside that should be on when the headlight switch is in either of its two "on" positions (along with other dashboard switches and controls). Bulb is probably burned out.

Does the seatbelt (re)minder do anything besides illuminate a seatbelt symbol in cluster momentarily after startup?
Mine is only on for a few seconds and then turns off whether or not I buckle up, it always does the same thing. No chirping either.
Should also chirp:

From your 2001 Owners Manual:

Page 1-18

Seatbelt warning light and chime

Your vehicle is equipped with a seatbelt warning device at the driver’s
seat.
This device causes the seatbelt warning light on the instrument panel to
light up for about six seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the
“ON” position to remind the driver to wear the seatbelt. If the driver’s
seatbelt is not fastened, a warning chime sounds at the same time.

and Page 3-10

When the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position, the seatbelt
warning light will come on and the reminder chime will sound for about
six seconds to remind the driver to fasten the seatbelt.

The seatbelt warning light remains on for about six seconds and turns off
automatically after six seconds.

The seatbelt reminder chime will turn off when the driver’s side seatbelt is
buckled or it will turn off automatically after six seconds.

Is there a steering wheel lock? You know when your key is off and out of ignition the steering wheel locks in place to prevent wheel spinning/theft deterrent. Mine will spin and spin either direction I please without keys in.. . .
Should lock the steering wheel when the key is out (ignition switch in the Lock position)

Page 3-3

The ignition switch has four positions: LOCK, ACC, ON and START

LOCK
The key can only be inserted or removed in this position. The ignition
switch will lock the steering wheel when you remove the key.
If turning the key is difficult, turn the steering wheel slightly to the right
and left as you turn the key.

·
Registered
'01 OBW 3.0 VDC 184,000 Miles '19 OB 2.5 Base <2,000 Miles - Formerly '14 Impreza Sedan 2.0 5spd 66,000 Miles at trade-in
330 Posts
I’ve always wondered about my seatbelt warning- or lack of it.... I considered the the absence of any warning lights or chimes as a lovely feature, not an annoying failure. I see the seatbelt light come on every time the car is started, but never again. Wouldn’t change it for $1,000

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you thank you thank you for the responses.

So I got the steering wheel to lock! I jacked up both front tires (was changing axle) and turned the wheels and "click!", they locked as I would expect them to do. Then I put the keys in and turned to on and then back to off position, unlocking the steering wheel. I think maybe the travel distance is just so huge that when turning by hand without power assist I was giving up before I got to the lock point. Obviously turning the up in the air wheels was much easier.

Still not sure on the seatbelt chime. Maybe it has been disabled. I am not complaining about any of this, except maybe the hazard light illum. I will take it off when I replace a few center console bulbs sometime in the future and try to find a bulb or led in the switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts