Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Major noobie question, but as I've never pushed a car to 150k, this is new territory.

Lately, my '00 Outback (auto) has felt like she's losing her strength. Coming off of stop signs/lights, it seems like I have to gas it a little harder, and the RPMs end up jumping instead of being able to slowly build speed. And today, there were times where it felt like it just wasn't trying to move forward at all for a couple of seconds.

Is this a sign that I'm about to lose my transmission? If so, is a 2000 with that many miles on it worth repairing? For what it's worth, it looks like I may have a head gasket repair on my hands as well.

Oh, and the car seems to stutter and seize a bit while driving - sometimes - when I have the AC turned on. Haven't had that diagnosed yet.

Thoughts? As always, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Just focusing on the transmission:

-Have you checked the transmission fluid level and is it at the full mark?
-How many miles since the transmission was serviced, i.e. the fluid was changed?

On older cars that haven't had the trans serviced in a long while, a fluid drain-and fill (or 2, 3, or even 4 of them) will sometimes perform a miracle. Auto trans LOVE fresh fluid. A "power flush" is not recommended, though.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...anging-automatic-transmission-fluid-easy.html

FWIW, my trans is at 205k miles and still shifts almost like new.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually had the fluid filled (I believe a full flush; I'd have to double check the order) back in June. I realized I hadn't done it at all in the 4.5 years since I'd bought the car, and since I was having just the slightest hesitations every once in a great while, it seemed like it wasn't a horrible thing to do while the car was already in the shop (for the 150k service). Not even 1,000 miles since that was done.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
How has your gas mileage been? Fuel filter changed recently?
Hesitation and twitchy RPMs sound like the engine might be missing. Subie was using coil packs by 2000 right? Surely it doesn't have a distributor. So that may also be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage has been great - nothing looks abnormal there. Fuel filter...I bought a new one recently, but I haven't actually been able to get the hoses off the old one, so it's still sitting in a box on the shelf. Any tips on getting a stuck filter out?

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts