Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
outback 2016 limited
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have been looking into getting a small trailer. something like rpod rp-171 or 172. or similar that could sleep 2 adults and kid, has kitchen and toilet/shower.
with outback 2.5 engine, am i being realistic about this? or do i need to get a truck? i have been told both yes and no so i am quite confused. we live in colorado
so factor that in, higher elevation, hills, mountain passes etc.

thanks

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
That’s pushing the limits of the car.... it’s listed as 200lb tongue weight and 2500lbs towing (regardless of the hitch used).Those rpod trailers are just a bit over that (before being loaded up with stuff)

I’d get something more capable of towing those weights

Some different discussions that are similar to what you want to do in the towing section..

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,280 Posts
I pulled a 4 by 6 u-haul trailer with a 2014 legacy and had no issues kept it at 60 and got 25mpg...trailer was 850lbs and stuff inside was about 500 or so.. car handled it just fine...

·
Registered
2019 premium outback 2009 matia mx5
87 Posts
2.5 towing a 13 foot scamp fiberglass trailer about 1500 pounds and have no problems. I traveled to the Adirondacks last year, just have to go slow and steady going up. Many scamp owners crossed the Rockies with the 2.5 and no problems. How often do you plan on camping? Would it be feasible buying a truck for a couple trips per year? Look at the scamp. Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Outback with the 2.5 engine and pull about 1100-1200 pounds of boat/motor/trailer around Maine and down to Cape Cod. Pretty flat terrain most of the time. It does OK, I feel in control, brakes are capable of stopping it. BUT, I have to remind myself to keep it at 65 mph or under otherwise the car really really strains to hit 70. Gas mileage goes WAY down. At 65 it's fine, probably 18-20 MPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
we have been looking into getting a small trailer. something like rpod rp-171 or 172. or similar that could sleep 2 adults and kid, has kitchen and toilet/shower.
with outback 2.5 engine, am i being realistic about this? or do i need to get a truck? i have been told both yes and no so i am quite confused. we live in colorado
so factor that in, higher elevation, hills, mountain passes etc.

thanks
I have a 2015 Outback with the 2.5 and pull about 1200 lbs of boat around New England. I Lived in Vail for 20 years and I think you'd be wheezing pretty hard at the tunnels, but my larger concern is what the long haul up the pass might do to the transmission- i.e., overheat it. Then you have to descend and you could try to downshift, but again, tranny strain and hard on the breaks. I don't think the Outback has a tranny cooler. You might ask a dealer down in Denver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts