Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have posted about using Plasti Dip on your cars. Honestly, I am totally new to using Plasti Dip on cars. Can any of you tell me, is Plasti Dip an alternative to a clear bra on the front bumper of a car?

Specifically, these are my questions.

Will if give a similar level of protections from bugs and chips?

Is there a clear coat option? I love the sparkle effect in my black paint, and don't want to cover that up with black Plasti Dip.

How long can I expect a Plasti Dip application to last?

I really appreciate any help that can be given. My dealer quoted $400 to apply a clear bra, to the bumper only. While I really want to protect the bumper, this seems excessive. If Plasti Dip is a good alternative, I want to try it.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
There is a clear, but it is apparently a matte finish. There's also a glossifier you can apply on top, but not sure how that would look over a clear. I suppose it wouldn't cost too much to buy a can of each and test.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a clear, but it is apparently a matte finish. There's also a glossifier you can apply on top, but not sure how that would look over a clear. I suppose it wouldn't cost too much to buy a can of each and test.
According to a couple videos I found on Youtube, posted by DipYourCar.com, you can apply the Glossifier right on paint, just the same as the rest of the PlastiDip colors. I just don't know if this is the best option, and if it will really offer the protection, that a clear bra would. Is it just a matter of applying enough coats?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
I can't imagine plastidip provides anything near the protection of what a clear bra would. An incoming rock hitting a front bumper with plastidip is likely going to still cause a chip whereas a clear bra would likely take the hit and leave the surface of the bumper underneath unaffected. One is not really a substitute for the other.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't imagine plastidip provides anything near the protection of what a clear bra would. An incoming rock hitting a front bumper with plastidip is likely going to still cause a chip whereas a clear bra would likely take the hit and leave the surface of the bumper underneath unaffected. One is not really a substitute for the other.
That is my worry. But I found a website www.dipyourcar.com, and on their FAQ page, they say that Plasti Dip is a good alternative to a clear bra. I'd like to talk to some who have tried this.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'd say the comparison of PlastiDip to clear bra is how thick you apply it. You can lay it on fairly thick over several coats if you really want to.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I yet have to see anyone applying plastic dip on the front hood where clear bra would typically be....I don't get the question and/or comparing apples with oranges....LOL

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
How much is a can of Plastidip? $7-$8? For $15 you could put a pretty good layer on the front/hood. If it doesn't work peel it off and pay the big bucks.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Someone actually would put black Plastidip on 2013 OB front hood OBNube? Would you? One bird droppings that sun bakes in and you can peel that thing off...LOL

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
It comes in white, clear and you can get a glossifier...People have put black magnet and vinyl bras not to mention bedliner on OB's why not Plastidip. You could replace it once a month for many years before spending as much as some sheet products. Would I use it?....No.;) I prefer the wind deflector on top of a bikini cut clearbra. Just offering options.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It comes in white, clear and you can get a glossifier...People have put black magnet and vinyl bras not to mention bedliner on OB's why not Plastidip. You could replace it once a month for many years before spending as much as some sheet products. Would I use it?....No.;) I prefer the wind deflector on top of a bikini cut clearbra. Just offering options.
The glossifier is what I am leaning towards. It seems that it would be closest to duplicating the clear film. And, as pointed out, if I don't like it, what am I out? Peel it off and get the clear bra applied for big $$$.

I already have the clear bra on the hood, mirrors, door edges and rocker panels. But the dealership left it off the front bumper. They want another $400 to put the clear bra on the bumper. I'm thinking the Plasti Dip is worth a try.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Someone actually would put black Plastidip on 2013 OB front hood OBNube? Would you? One bird droppings that sun bakes in and you can peel that thing off...LOL
You do know you can wash PlastiDip just like regular paint, right?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
You do know you can wash PlastiDip just like regular paint, right?
I know but you can't "peel off" regular paint, right? Some of the bird's dropping you have to take off with rubbing compound - if you leave it more than one day on the intense sun. Just ask anybody living in CA, NV, AZ or FL - I don't think you can do the same on PlastiDip, right? I may be wrong though....

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You must have some hard core birds that poop concrete or something. I lived in FL for a bit, and never saw that situation myself. Don't know if you could use compound on PlastiDip, but it might depend on how thick you lay it on.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
If seagull droppings burn right through that clear coat imagine what it would do to Plastidip.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Euchre - there you have it (above). Not just seagulls but other FL species as well... obviously you haven't lived in FL long enough (or in Calif for that matter)... LOL
Quite a few "burns" through clear coat already....and, on my previous Subarus as well....can't park "in the shade" anymore....LOL

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
You must have some hard core birds that poop concrete or something. I lived in FL for a bit, and never saw that situation myself. Don't know if you could use compound on PlastiDip, but it might depend on how thick you lay it on.
Bird droppings are very acidic (pH 3.5 to 4.5). When bird droppings fall on your paint, the acid begins to burn and etch the paint's surface. The longer the bird droppings remain, the greater the damage.
Would you like some more scientific evidence? Amazing....

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Last year I parked my new pickup under a tree where apparently some birds were having a wild party. The top of the cab and the hood were covered in poop spots. Since it was "only" my truck, I didn't wash it for a week. Then I found I couldn't get the spots off with any of the cleaners or chemicals I had. The droppings had eaten through the clear coat. I could feel the rough holes where the poop had been. I ended up having the hood repainted to repair it.

Maybe the birds where you live have been potty trained, but they certainly aren't anywhere I have lived. But hey, don't believe us. Next time you get a bunch of spots on your car, leave it in the sun for week. You'll learn. :)

·
Registered
Audi A8
10 Posts
Plasti Dip

I painted my wheels with the stuff and it ended up attracting a lot of dirt and dust, it is rubber after all and was a bugger to get remove. Don't recommend this stuff at all really unless you park your car in the garage and drive on non dusty, perfect roads. It's cheap so perhaps try a little section but if you go anywhere near dirt you'll see what I mean. It did look nice though, black wheels, gangsta yeah ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts