Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife received a legal notice from federal court yesterday advising that her '16 OB 3.6r may contain a defective Takata airbag. I checked the VIN on http://www.AutoAirbagSettlement.com and sure enough, the OB is part of the settlement class!

Moderators added note from eagleeye to future readers, vs. the lawyers sending out notices to every vin they can think of:

do these 2016-2017 vin# show up on the real US government site?

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

vs. some bunch of odd ball lawyers adding nickels to their possible future totals?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
526 Posts
I got the same thing. I checked the VIN's on the website AutoAirBagSettlement.com, both our '11 Impreza as well as the '17 OB VIN's were eligible.

Then I checked the VIN's on the Subaru USA site and got a No Recall indication.

Makes me think Subaru won't list the vehicles hoping people won't file before the cut off date.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Mine's listed as well. Do we need to do anything or are we automatically included in the settlement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
do these 2016-2017 vin# show up on the real US government site?

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

vs. some bunch of odd ball lawyers adding nickels to their possible future totals?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
Before anyone gets too excited, remember that lots of brand new cars are being built with Takata airbags.

Some of them might go bad prematurely. And they know it. And they're keeping track of where they go so they can replace them before they're old enough to cause a problem. They need to buy time because they can't make the permanent replacements fast enough. There is an urgent need to replace the ones which have aged poorly in the field. The need to replace a brand new one which might go bad in 10 years (instead of 25) is subordinate.

I don't know if the current model Outback is being fitted with these "temporary" inflators. It's possible they've switched to another part which won't require replacement.

Of course it would be better if it hadn't happened at all, but I'm pretty impressed with the industry's response on this one.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i, purchased new Oct 2014
302 Posts
Hmm... checked the settlement site for my Cal '15 2.5i and got this.

NO MATCH FOUND

Sorry, this Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) has not been matched with an eligible Subject Vehicle. Please be sure that the entered VIN has been correctly entered and re-enter the VIN, if necessary.

Vehicles Registered in California: Please note that VINs for vehicles registered in the state of California are not yet included in this VIN Lookup tool. We anticipate that VINs for vehicles registered in the state of California will be available in this VIN Lookup tool within the next several weeks. If your vehicle is registered in the state of California, please check back for updates.

If you have questions about this VIN Lookup tool, please contact the Settlement Notice Administrator at:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
Before anyone gets too excited, remember that lots of brand new cars are being built with Takata airbags.

Some of them might go bad prematurely. And they know it. And they're keeping track of where they go so they can replace them before they're old enough to cause a problem. They need to buy time because they can't make the permanent replacements fast enough. There is an urgent need to replace the ones which have aged poorly in the field. The need to replace a brand new one which might go bad in 10 years (instead of 25) is subordinate.

I don't know if the current model Outback is being fitted with these "temporary" inflators. It's possible they've switched to another part which won't require replacement.

Of course it would be better if it hadn't happened at all, but I'm pretty impressed with the industry's response on this one.
Looks like the complaint isn't failure to deploy. Seems like they can throw metal projectiles when they do.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do we need to do anything or are we automatically included in the settlement?
It appears you actually have to submit a claim to be included in the settlement. The link to submit a claim is here.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
The site explicitly says that you must "brought your Subject Vehicle to a dealership for the manufacturer of the Subject Vehicle for the Takata Airbag Recall Remedy" to be eligible... since no recalls were given, I don't see how any of us here are eligible.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah exactly since I didn't get recall letter from Subaru guess not eligible for this.
I find it strange to believe that Subaru is not fixing cars for this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,091 Posts
Does everyone here understand that the website linked by the OP is put up by a court-appointed "settlement class counsel", and that their only purpose is to protect the rights of everyone that may potentially have a settlement with Subaru? That's pretty common in class-actions, as they are required to allow those who want to opt-out of the class to do so.

Automatic opt-in (and it looks like this is the case here) will get you a settlement, if any, without you saying "I want in". But it will later exclude you from suing Subaru on your own. Thus, when the class action is set up this way, you have to be told you're being opted in, and you have to be given a way to get out if you want.

The notification database may exceed that database of the cars needing an airbag recall, and also of those needing it, those that do need a recall but haven't yet done so. Best to over-notice, if there is any doubt.

FAQs address the question here:
https://www.autoairbagsettlement.com/en/Subaru/FAQ#QC

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,504 Posts
I would think if there is no safety recall listed at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls there would be no recall listed at Subaru. Where the lawyers got my SN is anyone's guess, but it's not listed at the other sites. Just a blind grab at getting 30-60% of any settlement they can wangle for you I'd guess.

Other 5th Gen recalls (for '15, you can probably change the link for your year).
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/SUBARU/OUTBACK/SUV/AWD#recalls

Answer the questions here: https://www.autoairbagsettlement.com/en/ClaimEligibility

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dug a little deeper and now I feel better. The VIN seems to be a subject Subaru vehicle because it was manufactured prior to 6/9/2017. However, we are not eligible members of the class because the VIN was not part of a recall. Instead of figuring out which vehicles were recalled, they noticed all VINs. If you didn't receive a recall notice, presumably, your OB has a safe airbag!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts
I dug a little deeper and now I feel better. The VIN seems to be a subject Subaru vehicle because it was manufactured prior to 6/9/2017. However, we are not eligible members of the class because the VIN was not part of a recall. Instead of figuring out which vehicles were recalled, they noticed all VINs. If you didn't receive a recall notice, presumably, your OB has a safe airbag!
you might want to update your about my car thing with the link next to the question mark in my signature., as it says you are still enjoying a camry and not a subaru.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,504 Posts
you might want to update your about my car thing with the link next to the question mark in my signature., as it says you are still enjoying a camry and not a subaru.
Now there's a car with a bad airbag.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The '16 OB 3.6r is my wife's car. The '02 Camry is still my ride... and I am still enjoying not having a car payment!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,054 Posts
The '16 OB 3.6r is my wife's car. The '02 Camry is still my ride... and I am still enjoying not having a car payment!
plenty of space.

you can put his and hers in there,

no subaru on the list there makes you look like ....a camry owner stuck in the ditch, with no subaru at all to make you feel all warm and safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts