Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i, Magnetite Gray
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am interested in upgrading the rear swaybar on my new 2018 2.5i and wanted to double check fitment before ordering the part. Will it be the same fitment as the 2017 model? And please chime in if you have any specific recommendations!!

I have done this mod on all of my prior Subarus and have been extremely pleased with the choice to do so. I would love to reduce the body roll I experienced on my test drives.

Thanks!

Robmat

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
234 Posts
I believe so. I installed my swaybar from my 2016 on my 2018 with no issues. Fits the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I settled on! Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello;

I just got my 1st outback (3.6R limited) and I am curious to know how well it works with the 2018s. While researching the forums, someone mentioned that the suspension had been re-tuned for this year. Since I don't have a previous Outback to compare, my question is: are you guys pleased with the upgrade for your 2018 models?

Thanks for your patience, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to subarus.
:)

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R, Magnetite Gray/Titanium Gray
33 Posts
After looking at you-tube installations of the RSB, it is obvious that this is not a project for an octogenarian lacking in agility and tools to do it. Does anyone in the SFBayArea know of a nearby independent shop who will take on that task if I provide the factory part???? TIA

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
548 Posts
After looking at you-tube installations of the RSB, it is obvious that this is not a project for an octogenarian lacking in agility and tools to do it. Does anyone in the SFBayArea know of a nearby independent shop who will take on that task if I provide the factory part???? TIA
It’s actually the easiest thing to do. All you need is a 12mm and 14mm socket or wrench and a hex key. Total time is about 15-20mins. Look in the regional forums and post to see if someone would guide you or assist if desired.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
I could call my brother-in-law, or my sister. They are PhD chemists and I'm sure one of them could handle it for you. They are close.

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R, Magnetite Gray/Titanium Gray
33 Posts
I could call my brother-in-law, or my sister. They are PhD chemists and I'm sure one of them could handle it for you. They are close.
HA ha..I am a retired radiologist with a total knee replacement. I can use all the help I can find.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
10 Posts
19mm bar I purchased is shorter

Hi all. I am interested in upgrading the rear swaybar on my new 2018 2.5i and wanted to double check fitment before ordering the part. Will it be the same fitment as the 2017 model? And please chime in if you have any specific recommendations!!

I have done this mod on all of my prior Subarus and have been extremely pleased with the choice to do so. I would love to reduce the body roll I experienced on my test drives.

Thanks!

Robmat
I purchased the 19mm rear sway bar from Subaruonlineparts dot com for my 2018 Outback 3.6R. When I removed the original bar, I figured I would measure each eye to eye it see if they were same length. The 19mm I purchased is about 1/2 inch shorter. I put the 16mm bar back on. Any opinion if ok to use the shorter 19mm. I was uncertain so I figured safest thing was put original back on until I can seek out answers. Thanks.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
I purchased the 19mm rear sway bar from Subaruonlineparts dot com for my 2018 Outback 3.6R. When I removed the original bar, I figured I would measure each eye to eye it see if they were same length. The 19mm I purchased is about 1/2 inch shorter. I put the 16mm bar back on. Any opinion if ok to use the shorter 19mm. I was uncertain so I figured safest thing was put original back on until I can seek out answers. Thanks.
It's fine, Put your 19mm upgrade on. The ball and socket end links have enough flexibilty to make up for 1/4' either side. It's narrower because is from the WRX chassis which is narrower and more compact.

I will give you an example from the Gen3. WhiteLine makes aftermarket larger diameter bars for the car. They are also a full 1" wider, both front and rear. The stock ball and socket endlinks have no problems. I have even run solid links and they are tight, but will still accommodate the wider bar.

Feel free to use either rear bar. Either way, order up some of these ....

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/458146-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173069070391?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173070690381?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Or as others are suggesting, go with the high performance series in 85d.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which sway bars are you ordering?
And from which supplier?

Thanks very much.
(Having a tough time finding where to buy. I have a 2018 OB Premium 2.5i)

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
And I gather that there is no need for a FRONT sway bar? or simply doesn't exist?
TY
There is no aftermarket front bar for the Outback. That said, you could use one from the 2010-2014 (24mm) Outback
However, if you did that you would need a much larger bar than the 19mm, it would need to be the 22mm WhiteLine for the WRX would be the proper match for a 24mm front bar on a Gen5

You can however upgrade to performance bushings, and I would recommend it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173347738592?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Of course, I am the guy slinging the bushings.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/458146-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

I make rears for the 19mm bar as well. In (2) different levels of hardness over stock rubber.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just some thoughts after having installed the 19mm sway bar and a front SSD strut tower brace. I feel like the pieces compliment each other and result in a more neutral and predictable feel while driving. The body roll is reduced and the steering now, somehow, feels better than without the parts installed. The car tracked through corners and held its line well. It made a drive through the mountains easy and enjoyable!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited
26 Posts
Just some thoughts after having installed the 19mm sway bar and a front SSD strut tower brace. I feel like the pieces compliment each other and result in a more neutral and predictable feel while driving. The body roll is reduced and the steering now, somehow, feels better than without the parts installed. The car tracked through corners and held its line well. It made a drive through the mountains easy and enjoyable!
You forgot to mention the elimination of the infamous tailwag at interstate speeds. That was nauseating.

I did the 19mm rear swaybar and 75d bushings front and rear.

Haven’t done the strut brace yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts