Subaru Outback Forums banner

Is the upgraded engine in Outback 2022 Limited XT worth it on its own?

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  CityHunter 
#1 ·
I'm planning to buy (first time) a 2022 Outback and have been configuring options for a Premium to order. I've read reviews around the web mentioning the noticeable improvement in pep or performance with the Limited's 2.4L over the Premium's 2.5L. My questions:
  1. All other things being equal, is the performance increase of the Limited/2.4L worth the upgrade cost?
  2. In what scenarios does the engine difference get most noticed?
  3. Is the Premium's 2.5L engine unsatisfactory?

#2 ·
I'm planning to buy (first time) a 2022 Outback and have been configuring options for a Premium to order. I've read reviews around the web mentioning the noticeable improvement in pep or performance with the Limited's 2.4L over the Premium's 2.5L. My questions:
  1. All other things being equal, is the performance increase of the Limited/2.4L worth the upgrade cost?
1. I think so, but in my case I liked the Oynx config so I probably would not have gone with a version that had cloth seats. I didn't want leather.
2. City mileage, merging into traffic, hilly terrain, and towing.
3. I would say that the 2.5 is adequate rather than unsatisfactory. If that works for you, great. If not, get the 2.4.

#3 ·
We have two Outbacks with the 2.5i engine. Both seem to more than adequately powered; we had the 2011 when we lived in the mountains and even at that elevation (4600 ft) there was more than enough power to get the job done. Yes, the 2.4 turbo motor is great for having the additional power, but it IS thirstier if you "put your foot in it" all the time. The additional horsepower and torque will obviously be better for towing a small trailer. Test drive both if you are able and hopefully that will help you with your decision.

#4 ·
Our first Outback Premium 2011 living at 6500 feet not an issue with the stock engine. Daughter now has it ad loves it. Our 2021 Outback Premium stock engine get better mileage then the 2011, quieter as well. No problem getting up and down the mountain, passing or what ever. If we want to go fast we take the Z/28, but it sucks in the snow, so the Subaru get most of the miles.

#5 ·
If you are asking whether a turbo charged engine is better to drive then a non turbo engine I am guessing you may not have driven a turbo vehicle.

Subaru has years of experience with turbo engine technology and the 2.4 Turbo engine uses very mature and proven technology.

If you have driven a Subaru with the 2.4 turbo engine you will be easily able to decide whether you would be happy having a Subaru with the 2.5 non turbo engine.

To those of us that have driven a Turbo Subaru the answer is fairly easy, it is worth it.

Seagrass

#6 ·
I had a 2005 Outback 2.5 XT Stick and loved it. We replaced it with an Onyx 2.4 XT and are very happy with the 2.4 XT It gets better mileage than the 2005 did and burns regular which is a Plus. I had a 95 OB prior to the 2005 XT and felt it was underpowered, especially in high mountains.

#8 ·
I just got my first turbo model with the '22 Onyx XT, had 2 Foresters with 2.5L before. Is the power difference noticable? You bet it is. Is it necessary if most of your driving is around town and a bit on the highway? I don't think so. I actually found the standard engine and transmission smoother than the new high torque tranny when driving mildly to/from work. The new combo hates to be lugged. I think it is most helpful if you plan on towing and/or hauling a lot of people around. Be prepared to get abysmal gas mileage compared to the naturally aspirated version. I don't regret my choice but would have gotten a non-XT Touring with Harman Kardon sound and heated steering wheel over the turbo engine, had I known last month what I know now.

#9 ·
I think the answer to your question ultimately depends on your priorities. Do you care more about overall performance and fun to drive factor, possibly even at the cost of other luxury features and/or gas mileage? Then the 2.4 turbo no question. I'm of this group. I could live without high end sound systems, luxury leather seats with heating/ventilation, etc., but getting the most powerful engine possible was important to me even if it had to be at the cost of all the other features and a worse gas mileage. If you care more about having a nice comfortable car with good amenities/features, safety and a reasonable gas mileage, then the 2.5 is more your engine. For 99% of people and use cases, the 2.5 will be perfectly adequate. For most of us who have the 2.4 turbo, it's more of a want than a true "need" (if we're honest).

Also, if the Limited XT is one of the models you are considering, then price-wise, the closest comparable trim is probably the Touring with 2.5, since the Premium will be a good bit cheaper than a Limited XT, so are not equal competitors. In that case, the Touring will be a lot nicer inside than my Wilderness or even the Limited, since it has Nappa leather seats, acoustic glass on the front side windows, etc. but again, it depends if you'd rather have the nicer features or have more performance.

#10 ·
The difference in mileage is a factor, but not the biggest factor. To me the price difference is the biggest consideration. The jump from the Premium to the Onyx, the lowest priced turbo, is $6K, which to me is a lot because that's a 20% increase in the price of the car. If you look at a Limited 2.5 to Limited turbo, the price delta is a lot less. We prefer cloth over leather for long term durability, so Premium was our choice and we're very happy with it. 48K miles in just over two years the difference in gas mileage does make a difference, but still not as much as the difference in initial buy in price. If you're comfortable spending the difference in cost from a Premium to whatever trim that is higher, go for it, but if not then save your money. Enjoy whichever one you choose.

#11 ·
Unless you highly prioritize achieving optimal fuel economy for this platform, I would say the 2.4T is worth it on its own. It’s a remarkable engine, and the difference in performance is noticeable virtually everywhere in the power range — it’s downright quick. That being said, I previously owned a 2.5 and had no problems with it — nice smooth and reliable engine that does what it needs to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.