Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,299 Posts
I can make one next time but it's pretty straight forward. The oil filter is located right on the bottom side of the block and the oil pan bolt is 17mm. I believe on the factory plastic skid plate they're even labelled.

6.9 Quarts of your favorite 5w30

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I saw the 2.5 filter was on top, so I thought I would check. Sounds easy enough. I was surprised by the 6.9 quarts, but I believe the more, the better.

Do I need to tilt front or back up for better drainage?

Beary

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,299 Posts
Thanks. I saw the 2.5 filter was on top, so I thought I would check. Sounds easy enough. I was surprised by the 6.9 quarts, but I believe the more, the better.

Do I need to tilt front or back up for better drainage?

Beary
Not necessary. I do sometimes as a side effect of having it on ramps but don't think it helps one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Here you go;

If you want to get more of the oil out then you "could" raise the front of the car a few more inches than the rear or just use ramps under the front wheels. The oil drain plug is to the rear of the engine on the passenger side of the pan.

For filling and checking the level the car must be on flat-level ground or you will end up overfilling the oil if the car is still tilted. Since you can't start the car while it is up on ramps without any oil in the pan you will need to do the initial fill according to the specification of 6.9 quarts. Then drive the car off of the ramps and get it level before checking and topping off the oil.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I did not realize I would need to remove an access panel. This is my first car with undercarriage covers. Is there a torque number for the drain plug?

Beary

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
32.5 ft/lbs.. also make sure that you replace the crush washer... If you are going to be doing your own oil changes you may want to buy a dozen or those things, they are like $2 each. They need to be replaced every time you remove that plug.

A crush washer is meant to deform as you torque the plug down so they are not meant to be reusable.

Or you can get what is called a "fumoto valve". It will make oil changes very easy.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Do not cheap-out on oil filters either. Some of the better known brand names are s$it (Fram).

Here are two Youtube videos on what is inside of the different brands of oil filter... it gets really interesting at around 6:30 when he cuts them apart. The more pleats that a filter has inside represents the surface area of the filter material. More surface area means greater dirt handling capability and less filter backpressure. The construction of the filter material is important as well (paper vs. metal reinforced fabric).

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
Fram are crappy oil filters? You have any data from the last 10 years to back that up in terms of filtering efficiency, capacity, media construction and material?

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Fram are crappy oil filters? You have any data from the last 10 years to back that up in terms of filtering efficiency, capacity, media construction and material?
I take it you did not watch the videos, the Fram filters are inferior as far as construction, the bypass flow mechanism and the filter media.

It surprised me too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
If you mean the Fram orange can that's the Subie can painted a different color with a different bypass setting. Threads here and on BITOG on this. Fram makes Subie cans to Subie specs and the orange/blue meets a certain price and performance point.

If you want to find something bad to say about the Fram Ultra I'm all ears. That's their top end filter that cost about $9 with about the highest flow over synthetic media and efficiency rates of most any filter you can buy. The Mobil 1 filter is very close to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts