Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if theres a scan tool like there is for VW / audi / BMW products for subaru?

Also is there a way to kill the bloody seat belt ding? And don't chide me for wearing my seat belt. I dont need or want it on at 15mph soft roading on a beach or in the fields on my property. But that **** dinging just wont quit. I'm used to it stopping eventually. On the outback? Nope. Ding to infinity

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) is the dealer's computer interface software. There is a free clone (FreeSSM) though I don't believe it has been updated to support the 5th generation cars. BtSSM is an Android app with some of the same functionality, not sure of its status with the newest Outbacks.

You can get some incredible volumes of data on the engine & transmission and it's fantastic for troubleshooting the electrical/electronic/data end of the powertrain. Combined with other software you can totally reprogram the engine and transmission computers, at least in many years and models of Subarus.

The bad news is that none of these tools have any real access to the BIU, where a lot of the non-powertrain smarts happen. Cabin control behaviors, security system, belt dinger etc.... No access via this route. As far as I know that's still a black box.

Note that the seat belt warning behavior can be changed- but you don't do it from a utility computer. You manipulate the car's existing controls in a very specific way that would never occur in normal operation. I don't have it memorized but it's something like clicking & releasing the driver's seat belt exactly 20 times within a 30 second window after turning on the ignition. There are threads on this board with the specific recipe.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
no seatbelt on the beach trail?

....what if you roll it sideways on a sand dune because you are staring at a custom jeep with your neck craned out the window :behead:?

subaru is just watching out for you with that nag like ding.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont need subaru watching out for me. Honestly, 30 seconds of ding is enough. If Im not putting it on in that time, Im not wearing it. I've never sat in a car where the thing NEVER shuts up. That fact alone makes me want to bypass it. I hate that **** thing. I know about the 30 seconds thing, was hoping for a VCDS type dongle. That sucks, I can manipulate nearly everything in my VW. Thats how I prime the sump in the canister after a fuel filter change. I know every code the car ever throws, etc. I can even program it to close windows on sensing rain on the windshield.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts