Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I looked through the Outback manual and all it says is that the hill holder function may not engage on gentle slopes. Unless I missed it somewhere else in the manual, would anyone know if there is a particular slope angle at which the hill holder engages the brakes?

Also, I thought I read in another thread that the brakes had to be depressed quite a bit (like a strong push on the brake pedal instead of a gentle touch) for the hill holder to engage. Can anybody confirm this?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
It turns on for me on most hills, and I don't recall having to press the brake harder than I normally would to stop gong up a hill. I do love in an area with LOTS of hills, and can honestly say that it's nice to have. It's also very much needed since the CVT does odd things on a hill. When backing down out of a parking as spot, without the hill holder the CVT behaves sort of like a manual if you aren't careful about holding the break down until it "revs into gear". Having the car almost roll into traffic convinced me to just leave the hill assist on all the time.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
Sorry for hijack the thread.

Is it safe to turn on hill holder when car is moving?

When hill holder is engaged(parking brake is on), will the brake light in the rear turn on?

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
It seems to be, but HillHolding™ is an experimental science.

Looby

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
I remember reading in the spec somewhere it is roughly 5 degrees of hill in both upward and downward directions.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
It is safe to engage when move and a green indicator light comes on. I use it on boat ramps and it works well enough. Just buckle in and step on the gas and off you go....YMMV

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen posts about adjusting clutch sensitivity and hill holder but is there a way to adjust the sensitivty of when the Hill Holder kicks in (engages)? In other words, can one adjust the slope angle at which the hill holder gets triggered?

I saw a post where somebody said the hill holder was kicking in on flat ground and another post where the hill holder required steep slopes.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Gen4 and newer are electronics tied to the parking brake. Older versions are mechanical and tied to clutch use.

The Gen4 and newer the hill holder - pretty sure will even activate without touching the brake. I have had it kick on where I coasted to a stop on a hill in SF with it turned on of course. Turning it on when you moving is the way it was designed it won't actually activate the brake unless your stopped and on a hill. Yes it works with the car pointed down hill or up hill. Which is nice for those of us who parallel park on steep hills like say SF.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 4 cyl.
25 Posts
Sorry for hijack the thread.

When hill holder is engaged(parking brake is on), will the brake light in the rear turn on?
Yes you can turn it on while in motion. I have the same question about brake light, I assume it is on..

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Yes you can turn it on while in motion. I have the same question about brake light, I assume it is on..
The parking brake does not illuminate the brake light... it's a separate system from the hydraulic brakes, so that light isn't tripped. The hill holder button / function doesn't modify that behavior.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts