Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've explored some devices and hope to develop a system to rid my '21 Outback of the referenced nuisances. if there are some already out there, I could try a little reverse engineering to save work. Anything I come up with will be available at no cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,083 Posts
to deal with the welcome/warning I use the cheapest solution you will be able to find: Put it in D and drive. It goes away within a few seconds without any input from you. Lots of people use the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator (tons of posts here on it; maybe I've remembered the name wrong). I don't intend to worry about that feature either.

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
631 Posts
I am not certain, but I believe there is a setting in the infotainment system for the driver welcome screen which you can turn off. Also, the Autostop Eliminator (Autostop Eliminator) is a great product. It is truly plug and play and takes about ten minutes to install.

Reactions: x.Tubaru

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
323 Posts
I installed the AutoStop Eliminator as soon as it was available for my 2020 Outback Limited. It remembers the setting your prefer. Turn Auto Start/Stop off once and it will not come back on until you decide to turn it on. Very reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to deal with the welcome/warning I use the cheapest solution you will be able to find: Put it in D and drive. It goes away within a few seconds without any input from you. Lots of people use the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator (tons of posts here on it; maybe I've remembered the name wrong). I don't intend to worry about that feature either.
Thanks! I find the Welcome/Warning annoying because I can't access certain icons while it's open.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,083 Posts
Oh. So as one who spends far too much time on my laptop (in forums no less) means I'm clicking on something (maybe) 1,000 times a day. Maybe that's why I never had an issue with a one 'click' dismissal of the nag until I figured out I just needed to drive. However, I can't think of what I would want to access because currently, I don't bother with anything. Your post reminded me that I haven't explored the hand free/voice activation capabilities of the car and I think there's a whole manual or segment on that. Maybe that's a possible answer for whatever you want to get at too. So far, I just use it to make a hands free phone call.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,299 Posts
Thanks! I find the Welcome/Warning annoying because I can't access certain icons while it's open.
You mean the one with the green "OK" button on it, that when tapped will allow you access to the main screen?

Honestly, people are in such a rush these days. When I get in the car I start it, then worry about buckling up, getting my phone plugged in, etc. By the time I'm ready to start manipulating the radio or drive the car it's done booting and ready for me to interact.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
@Jimmy71 the existing auto-stop eliminator device seems to monitor the canbus for the start/stop on or off command and if it sees the "off" command it will re-issue it at engine startup. It might be possible that the "ok" button press is also something that goes through the canbus and if it is, then a single device could potentially control it, so if you have the resources to do so, hook up to the canbus and monitor the traffic to isolate what happens when you do various things, and whether or not issuing that command will work.

People have been wanting AVH to be turned on by default if it was on when the car shut down and the original developer of the auto-stop eliminator said that it might be possible to do the same thing with a device like his, but in the end he didn't add that feature.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
279 Posts
A fellow Outback owner told me that the dealer service could turn off the AutoStop without using the dongle in the OBD port. AutoStop has not bothered me so I did not follow up on it. I just wish the AutoStop would stay stopped until I picked up my foot from the brake.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
A fellow Outback owner told me that the dealer service could turn off the AutoStop without using the dongle in the OBD port. AutoStop has not bothered me so I did not follow up on it. I just wish the AutoStop would stay stopped until I picked up my foot from the brake.
I have seen someone mention the same thing but I won't believe it unless it's documented. We've been looking for the solution for a year and a half and aside from unverified comments there's no evidence that the dealer can disable start/stop - but the absence of evidence doesn't mean it's not true. Please seek more information from that fellow Outback owner - did he have it done? If so I'm curious what the work order said. If he didn't have it done, then was it just a stray comment from a worker at a dealership? They often say false things out of ignorance.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT, 04 Mazda Speed Miata 07 Suburban.
279 Posts
I have seen someone mention the same thing but I won't believe it unless it's documented. We've been looking for the solution for a year and a half and aside from unverified comments there's no evidence that the dealer can disable start/stop - but the absence of evidence doesn't mean it's not true. Please seek more information from that fellow Outback owner - did he have it done? If so I'm curious what the work order said. If he didn't have it done, then was it just a stray comment from a worker at a dealership? They often say false things out of ignorance.
He was a fellow Ski Patroller with a 2020 had a Subie OB Touring that had the AutoStop. He didn't mind it, but his wife worried that it might not start some time. When I see him again I'll ask.

Personally I like the feature, except that it starts up too quickly some times, for no obvious reason. It seems to me that it should stay off for at least 45 seconds if I don't lift my foot or turn the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've explored some devices and hope to develop a system to rid my '21 Outback of the referenced nuisances. if there are some already out there, I could try a little reverse engineering to save work. Anything I come up with will be available at no cost. Thanks.
If you have the 2021 Outback the "Auto Stop/Start" feature can be switched off by accessing the feature in the "Settings" on your screen.
When activated at a stop sign or in heavy traffic the cut out activates for about 30 seconds then the motor restarts. The dealer couldn't say why, but I think it's so the Air Conditioning can reactivate- nothing worse than the windscreen fogging up in winter or starting to become stifling in Summer. That's my theory anyway.
Cheers,
Cliff.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,299 Posts
If you have the 2021 Outback the "Auto Stop/Start" feature can be switched off by accessing the feature in the "Settings" on your screen.
At least in the US, the latest software versions have it as a shortcut on the screen all the time, in the bottom row to the left of the home button.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
It doesn't bother me that much, especially since the update, but I wonder why it doesn't happen when I put my car in Park?

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
48 Posts
You mean the one with the green "OK" button on it, that when tapped will allow you access to the main screen?

Honestly, people are in such a rush these days. When I get in the car I start it, then worry about buckling up, getting my phone plugged in, etc. By the time I'm ready to start manipulating the radio or drive the car it's done booting and ready for me to interact.
FACTS! And the “eliminator” is for all intents and purposes no longer necessary if your software is up to date.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts