Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there is a source for rebuilt transmissions out there that'll ship, even if only to a freight company (yellow freight, etc)

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,424 Posts
Have you considered a low mileage used trans? Reverse went on my 93 Legacy. Found a used 4EAT from a 95 with 70k on ebay for $200 + $170 to ship. Shifts awesome.

I rarely trust rebuilt trans unless I know the rebuilder is a transmission wizard.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
JDM Engine Depot The phone is at the bottom of the page.

He says he has a 4EAT for $500. The website says he'll pay the toll if you pick up. You may or may not have to swap the VTD. He is showing a Gen 1 H6, so its probably the transmission from that engine.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swap the VTD?

Kearny NJ is a bit further than I need to go if I go the used route.

Glennda, yeah, I'm weighing my options, I think the only option I've really ruled out is paying 800-1200 just to have that one problem in this trans fixed, it's has 200K on it and works perfectly, but for the same or less I can roll the clock back by 100 or 150k miles.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,424 Posts
Exactly...roll the clock back. How many more miles do you want to put on your Outback, realistically....

I only want ~50k more miles out of my 93 (currently at 225k). So any trans with less than 150k miles on it should be good to make that goal. I got one with 70k so I am more than good.

I personally wouldn't buy a JDM engine as those cars see lots of short trip miles so the low mileage claims are sort of loaded or misleading. The transmissions though shouldn't be as impacted by this I think.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are 2 within 50 miles at about $900, with just under 100,000 on them.

Tempting to not see how long I can stretch things out, and to just 'do it'.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Dave

What were the symptoms you are having? Any indications before it went or is going out?

The reason I ask is that mine, same year H6, occasionally downshifts real hard. Once it slammed into high after a passing maneuver. Seems random.

Anyway just curious.... Seems like Cardoc was happy with his rebuild.

Best of luck finding a good replacement!

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard downshifts are somewhat normal, made worse if the TPS is bad or if the ground point where all the engine sensor ground is cruddy.

The hard downshifts can be softened for a while if you disconnect the battery and wipe the computer and TCU.

My symptom is a bad front pinion bearing, or maybe the bearing for the output shaft to the pinion. Not really a whine, but noisy under load, disappears with little or no load.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,315 Posts
Exactly...roll the clock back. How many more miles do you want to put on your Outback, realistically....

I only want ~50k more miles out of my 93 (currently at 225k). So any trans with less than 150k miles on it should be good to make that goal. I got one with 70k so I am more than good.

I personally wouldn't buy a JDM engine as those cars see lots of short trip miles so the low mileage claims are sort of loaded or misleading. The transmissions though shouldn't be as impacted by this I think.
I have a JDM engine in the VDC. Performs well and has been in for a few thousand without issue. But, like any used part, you take your chances. Whether its a JDM or a used USDM with high mileage its pass/fail.

Dave, sent PM.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a local for 800, 96 k miles, parts warranty, can anyone confirm a 2004 trans will fit a 2003? I trust the vendor, but indep confirmation is always nice.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,424 Posts
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I believe there were 3 different models used in the various years and that 2003 and 2004 were interchangeable. My understanding is that if the first 7 digits are the same then they are guaranteed to be interchangeable.

What is the code on the one you are installing vs what you have now? Its on the top of the bell housing.

3.0 without VDC Trans codes

2001 - TZ1A4ZVCAA
2002 - TZ1B4ZMDAA
2003-2004 - TZ1A4ZMEAA,TZ1A4ZMFAA,TZ1A4ZMFAA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts