Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like how the factory head resets hit me in the back of the head. They are tilted too far forward form the factory. If they are all the way down it makes my shoulders uncomfortable. I wonder if there is a aftermarket company that makes a replacement headrest that is adjustable on the angle of a factory subaru one that I can swap into place

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
Sign the injury release before doing this.

Remove the head rest and turn it 180 degrees and reinsert. The 'adjustment' system won't work. You won't be protected from injury. You may be more comfortable. You have been warned.

You are responsible for any injury since you have modified/defeated the original design.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I don't like how the factory head resets hit me in the back of the head. They are tilted too far forward form the factory. If they are all the way down it makes my shoulders uncomfortable. I wonder if there is a aftermarket company that makes a replacement headrest that is adjustable on the angle of a factory subaru one that I can swap into place
Tip your seat back more all cars have these forward tilted head restraints its the by product of seat designed paired with accident and injury studies.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,137 Posts
maybe take the covers off and trim down the padding? Practice on one from a junkyard.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 6MT
546 Posts
The ones in the Forester are much worse. That was the biggest factor that swayed us to the Outback. The ones in the Outback seem fine for us.

·
Registered
2003 WRX WRB with gold P1's, 2013 OB 2.5i BBP SAP
26 Posts
A very expensive option, but it looks like the headrests with the dvd players are a lot less angled than the stock ones. My wife didn't like the headrests when we test drove a 2013 and I thought it was going to be something we would have to deal with, but we ordered the dvd system and the dealer sent me a picture with them installed and they look upright. I have never looked into putting pictures on a forum but I can email the picture or if it is possible send it by PM.

·
Registered
814 Posts
From 2009-2011 Ford put the worse headrests in the F150, they are tilted almost 45 degrees into the back of your neck. Raising and lowering doesn't help the design.

Anyway, like the previous poster mentioned LOL (Sign waver below to release any liabilty) Anyway on the F150 forum I go to, guys on there took their headrest out and bent the chrome metal supports in a vice grip until the angle was satisfactory. Seems like a better way to still have the part semi functional but not aimed directly at your neck.

For 2012 Ford changed the design of the headrest because of so many complaints. The new ones tilt forward or back. I actually bought all the hardware over the counter to work on my 2011 about $480 in parts but both yself and my wife are much happier.

Truthfully the headrests in our Outback don't bother me or my wife but it could be our body type of frame as everones varries. Good luck with whatever you come up with.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Hmm, I went out and checked mine because neither my wife or I noticed it. They are about the same as our Element which also had not been an issue for us. So I leaned my head back far enough to hit the head rest and that position was not comfortable. I have a good amount of space between my head and the rest in my normal position. Maybe my seat back is back farther than yours?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The headrests are angled like that because the government is forcing automakers to do that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts