Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an '18 Outback Limited 2.5i, the same with the Harmon Kardon radio. Right now, the radio will continue to play even after we turn-off the ignition----it will not automatically shut-off until we open the vehicle door, the same in the course of exiting the vehicle. While we can turn the radio off manually after turning-off the ignition, my wife and I find this somewhat disorienting and are (more) used to having the radio stop as soon as we turn-off the ignition.

Is there some type of an adjustment or setting that we are not seeing that will turn the radio off----automatically----at the same time as the ignition?

Thank you.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,382 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
My truck leaves the radio on for ten minutes or until the door opens. I like that feature. My 17 outback (push button start) does not. I wish it did.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Gee, wasn't all that long ago owners complained the radio DID turn off when the key was turned off. Now they complain the radio DOES NOT turn off.

Subaru can't win..... LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did do a search-----(thanks for the tip and recommendation)-----and evidently, with the 2018s, the radio feature is the opposite of prior years and does not turn-off when the key is turned-off, nor is the feature programmable. That is disappointing.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Gee, wasn't all that long ago owners complained the radio DID turn off when the key was turned off. Now they complain the radio DOES NOT turn off.

Subaru can't win..... LOL.
I would strongly disagree with that sentiment. There's a ridiculously easy way for Subaru to win. Let the owner pick whether they want their radio to stay on. Literally simplest possible solution.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Ok you can pay for it!

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Quite the personal choice I suppose. i know with my Passat it turned off with the ignition, and I used VCDS to change it to stay on until the door opened. I was pleased the Outback already worked this way. It would be nice if it were an option that could be adjusted via the settings menu, like we can control the lights remaining on after exiting the car, as well as how long they stay on.

I'd like the radio to remain on for more than what seems to be no more than 3 minutes. Sometimes I remain in the car when someone goes into a store, and I don't need to leave the engine running but want to listen to the radio. Being able to adjust the length of time it remains on would be nice, and some owners could select zero and have it off immediately. Sounds like a win win.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I would strongly disagree with that sentiment. There's a ridiculously easy way for Subaru to win. Let the owner pick whether they want their radio to stay on. Literally simplest possible solution.
They did, don't want it on, just open the door after turning off the car....viola the radio shuts off.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i
55 Posts
I like the option as I've seen on other vehicles with keyless start, push once to turn off engine, push a second time to shut off ACC. That situation is kind of a pet peeve of mine with my 2017 OB, when I drop off someone to run into the store, I want to turn off the car but keep the radio on, or keep a phone conversation going, I have to shut off the car in neutral, then put it in park.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
Funny I had that problem last week after just bought same 2018. Went away for weekend and at rest stops, suddenly radio would not turn off and door would not lock. Started reading and reading manual, hating push button start...didn’t move car for 3 days. Now back to normal, radio goes back to channel I left off on and shuts off when car turned off get out touch handle and locks automatically. All fine but still would like simple key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
All about the choice... in my spouse's case, she is on a work phone call about 1/3 the time she stops the car, so she wants continuity on the head unit.

However, I just figured out why we discharged the battery last night. I hope Subaru monitors these boards, because this is an important software thing...

If you get used to the radio staying on until you open the door, you will be trained into thinking that is the case anytime the car is off and the radio is on. However, the case yesterday was that my spouse got a call after she locked her car... unlock and got back in the car (cold outside), started Accessory Mode and had the conversation. Then she left the car, locked it, and the radio screen stayed on all day and drained the battery to death. This is confusing, the visual cues make you think you are in the same situation, should not have to remember whether you are in accessory mode or Subaru's self-made mode "partially-shut-down" (and to boot, the way our steering wheel is, you do not see the start-top button and the light on it, which is the only indication of the difference). At least locking with the key fob should always shut down the radio, or locking without starting the car should have a timer involved... Recreated this situation this morning, and as a software developer, find this use-case disturbing.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,715 Posts
On a keyed system turn the key to "ACC" instead of off. This should keep the head unit on.

On a push button system hit the button once to turn the engine off and take your foot off the brake.

Hit the button again with your foot off to go into acc mode.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,248 Posts
Yeah, But you are an intelligent individual who can stay within the lines.
Too many people think that if it doesn't work their way then it is completely screwed up.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,633 Posts
There's a ridiculously easy way for Subaru to win. Let the owner pick whether they want their radio to stay on. Literally simplest possible solution.
If by "ridiculously easy" you mean "somewhat involved" and "simplest" you mean "most complicated", then I agree completely.

Based on complaints about the radio sometimes not turning off at all, it sounds like they already muffed what would seem like a straightforward operation. Making the system even more complex is not a good solution.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,605 Posts
I used to have a line in my sig that said
"It's love that makes a Subaru, not necessarily a logical user experience".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wasn't so long ago Subaru headlights would not shut off if you didn't lock the car... they were able to figure that one out, this seems not much more difficult.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts